The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 20:14 Quote
Good rain this evening though not for long. I think it was enough to settle the dust ... at least until next week when the next heatwave arrives ..!

Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 21:56 Quote
JimLad wrote:
Good rain this evening though not for long. I think it was enough to settle the dust ... at least until next week when the next heatwave arrives ..!

So what you are saying is - blow off work and go to the bike park early next week. Smile

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 8:44 Quote
JimLad wrote:

I got caught out in it, it was VERY enough to knock the dust back

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 10:59 Quote
remoh wrote:
JimLad wrote:

You think tomorrow (Monday) will be good conditions? I'll be going regardless but hoping for some tacky trails

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 14:03 Quote
Probably, it's been mix of sun and clouds and kinda cool today so not drying out fast

Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 7:44 Quote
The dirt is back, and missfire was greasy yesterday. Should be good until the heat kicks in later this week

Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 8:03 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
remoh wrote:
JimLad wrote:

You think tomorrow (Monday) will be good conditions? I'll be going regardless but hoping for some tacky trails

Might be some moisture left in places (Garbo, Creekside) but likely back to dust

Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 21:36 Quote
remoh wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
remoh wrote:

Might be some moisture left in places (Garbo, Creekside) but likely back to dust

Was great today! No dust.

Lots of Americans. It felt like a busy long weekend today. 45 min lift waits. There goes our empty lines lol

Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 22:23 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
remoh wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Lots of Americans. It felt like a busy long weekend today. 45 min lift waits. There goes our empty lines lol

I'm sad... came in at 6:20, and waited 30 minutes for a Fitz lap. I got a garbo and 2 fitz laps before close. Let's hope it quiets down a little.

Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 22:30 Quote
Angu58 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
remoh wrote:

I'm sad... came in at 6:20, and waited 30 minutes for a Fitz lap. I got a garbo and 2 fitz laps before close. Let's hope it quiets down a little.

This was just a monday. Not looking forward to weekends. I spent most of my day in garbo. Only 2 fitz laps.

Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 10:33 Quote
How are trails running after the rain the other day? Thinking of coming up Friday to pedal Blackcomb in the morning and do a TOTW to Creekside tech in the PM.

Also heard about brutal traffic south of Function due to paving, anyone know how long that's going on? Doesn't show up on driveBC.

Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 10:47 Quote
Anyone know anything about the fall seasons passes they normally sell? I usually spend a few weeks out there each fall and loved this pass. No mention of it on the website this year, and got an email reply saying to inquire in the fall and perhaps the pass team will release it out later in the season? I prefer the full pass over the multi day passes since it's nice to be able to just pop into the park beginning/end of day to do a few laps.

Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 10:51 Quote
Hey, I'll be out in Whistler Sept 20th for a week, and just realised that ToTW chair ends Sept 6th. I'm not that bummed to missed ToTW trail, but I was soooo looking forward to trying to ride Khyber-Nowhere-Kashmir-etc.

I know mountain weather in late Sept is always a bit iffy, but it sucks that the chair stops, and so there is no chance now, even if the weather is nice.

Does anyone have any thoughts on trying to ride up from the top of the gondola to catch the entrance to Khyber? Would that mean riding down Una Moss, then riding up half of ToTW trail until the junction? Looks like about 2/3km of length and 300 vertical feet of climbing up the trail. Or is there some access road near the top of the gondy that cuts across over towards ToTW without losing as much elevation (unlikely)?

Or should I just give up on Khyber until another year?

Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 10:56 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
Hey, I'll be out in Whistler Sept 20th for a week, and just realised that ToTW chair ends Sept 6th. I'm not that bummed to missed ToTW trail, but I was soooo looking forward to trying to ride Khyber-Nowhere-Kashmir-etc.

I know mountain weather in late Sept is always a bit iffy, but it sucks that the chair stops, and so there is no chance now, even if the weather is nice.

Does anyone have any thoughts on trying to ride up from the top of the gondola to catch the entrance to Khyber? Would that mean riding down Una Moss, then riding up half of ToTW trail until the junction? Looks like about 2/3km of length and 300 vertical feet of climbing up the trail. Or is there some access road near the top of the gondy that cuts across over towards ToTW without losing as much elevation (unlikely)?

Or should I just give up on Khyber until another year?

I have not done this but I think it's doable. If you check TF ride logs for Khyber for dates before/after peak chair is open, there are people doing just that. Now whether it's allowed or not is another story.

Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 11:00 Quote
Not uncommon for people to ride up from the bottom of highway 86. It's certainly a more pleasant way of doing it than trying to ride up the access roads on the backside of the mountain.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009552
Mobile Version of Website