The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 15:49 Quote
First time riding Whistler. How busy are the lines usually during the week? Also, would anyone be interested in riding with me for the day?

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 15:52 Quote
kevin267 wrote:
gramboh wrote:
How are trails running after the rain the other day? Thinking of coming up Friday to pedal Blackcomb in the morning and do a TOTW to Creekside tech in the PM.

Also heard about brutal traffic south of Function due to paving, anyone know how long that's going on? Doesn't show up on driveBC.

The paving is supposed to finish today or tomorrow. I haven't had to wait in it but sounds brutal, over an hour from function to village. I'm riding the park after work today, should be good. Dark crystal always needs more time to dry if that's what you're planning though.

Fair enough, wasn’t sure how many mm of rain you guys got, and to be fair it doesn’t look hot enough for air temp to dry it out in 3-4 days eh? Glad paving will likely be done. Don’t want a 3h drive back to the city if I can avoid it.

Sucks about the lines. Damn Americans (mostly joking). I need to check with guest services if $41 TOTW ticket can be used Creekside to Gondi mid station or not.

Re: Khyber. That pedal up isn’t too bad, and way less steep than the access roads. Khyber is fun, MON is great, I find Kashmir a bit too jank for my tastes but all are worth a ride. If you haven’t done LOTS and have the legs for it I’d recommend that instead (pending weather).

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 15:57 Quote
Angu58 wrote:
Park is so busy. 35 minutes in the single line, apparently an hour for groups.

Could be cause the borders are open. Last time I went I swear there were more Washington and Alaska license plates compared to Canadians

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 16:03 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Re: Khyber. That pedal up isn’t too bad, and way less steep than the access roads. Khyber is fun, MON is great, I find Kashmir a bit too jank for my tastes but all are worth a ride. If you haven’t done LOTS and have the legs for it I’d recommend that instead (pending weather).

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 16:12 Quote
gramboh wrote:
I need to check with guest services if $41 TOTW ticket can be used Creekside to Gondi mid station or not.
You can, did it a couple weeks ago. Also, no way Dark Crystal stays wet with how dry it is, rode CN area Sunday and it was extremely dry.

Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 17:20 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Angu58 wrote:
Park is so busy. 35 minutes in the single line, apparently an hour for groups.

Could be cause the borders are open. Last time I went I swear there were more Washington and Alaska license plates compared to Canadians

Thats odd, I was there this weekend and the first lift I got at about 1130 saturday wait was about 20 minutes in the singles line, after that I don't think I waited more than 5 minutes in the singles line the whole rest of the weekend (this is for Fitzsimmons). Garbonza never had a line whatsoever.

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 18:32 Quote
In Whistler this week and today was nutso busy from 11 to about 12:15. Singles line was very long and my wife, boys and myself waited for about 50 min for the lift. Got down to the village after that and had lunch and then it was fine again for the rest of the day.

Trails were perfect. Muddier and wetter up on Garbanzo

Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 20:22 Quote
long lines probably due to locals getting the hero dirt.

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 20:27 Quote
Ever since the lift protocols changed (joining singles and groups to full chairs) the lines have been pretty chill. Mid afternoon today was pretty busy but nothing compared to opening day haha

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2021 at 0:27 Quote
flipfantasia wrote:
gramboh wrote:
I need to check with guest services if $41 TOTW ticket can be used Creekside to Gondi mid station or not.
You can, did it a couple weeks ago. Also, no way Dark Crystal stays wet with how dry it is, rode CN area Sunday and it was extremely dry.

Good to know, thanks T, will save a bunch of time parking Creekside and not pedalling back to the village (every hour counts with two young kids at home). Plus bonus half lap from Creekside to mid station.

Was planning on riding DC Friday morning will keep an eye on weather in case it rains.

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2021 at 15:46 Quote
gramboh wrote:
flipfantasia wrote:
gramboh wrote:

Good to know, thanks T, will save a bunch of time parking Creekside and not pedalling back to the village (every hour counts with two young kids at home). Plus bonus half lap from Creekside to mid station.

Was planning on riding DC Friday morning will keep an eye on weather in case it rains.

Make that bonus lap a little longer, you can ride from the top of creekside gondi, to the base of the village gondi and go up from there with a top of the world express ticket. I did it, it gives you a nice warm up lap.

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2021 at 16:09 Quote
TheSpangler wrote:
gramboh wrote:
flipfantasia wrote:

Make that bonus lap a little longer, you can ride from the top of creekside gondi, to the base of the village gondi and go up from there with a top of the world express ticket. I did it, it gives you a nice warm up lap.

Brilliant. If the rain holds off on Friday, I may do this then hit Squamish for some pedal laps to make a pretty solid day. I imagine the peak will be closed if rainy... can anyone add any insight?

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2021 at 20:12 Quote
djyosh wrote:
TheSpangler wrote:
gramboh wrote:

Brilliant. If the rain holds off on Friday, I may do this then hit Squamish for some pedal laps to make a pretty solid day. I imagine the peak will be closed if rainy... can anyone add any insight?

It would have to be pretty extreme to close it for rain. Lightning is the most common thing it would shut for. There was one smoky day earlier that it shut for that too.

Posted: Aug 18, 2021 at 20:28 Quote
kevin267 wrote:
djyosh wrote:
TheSpangler wrote:

It would have to be pretty extreme to close it for rain. Lightning is the most common thing it would shut for. There was one smoky day earlier that it shut for that too.

And wind! Some friends and I had it close on us half way up the gondala due to 90 km/h winds

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2021 at 23:42 Quote
TheSpangler wrote:
gramboh wrote:
flipfantasia wrote:

Duh, how did I not think of that haha... unless they don't scan passes at midstation (I don't think they do? although people would figure it out and scam laps if they didn't, like the old days of people skinning singing pass to midstation) either way could talk my way through it at guest services if need be. Looks pretty damn wet starting overnight into Friday, not sure if they stop Peak for rain/cold temps or just wind in the summer but won't be pleasant. Might go next Friday instead looks warm again.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016075
Mobile Version of Website