The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 13:47 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
Poachninja wrote:
Btw, I kind of wanted to pedal dark crystal this trip but read that it isn’t a wet weather trail. Where is good to pedal this time of year?

I may be in the minority on this one but I don't really consider Dark Crystal to be worth the pedal up. There are so many better rides in Whistler and the sea to sky.

Recommendations? I’ll be peddling from the village so around Whistler

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 15:24 Quote
How will the riding at Creekside be effected by the proposed replacement of the gondola? Take the bus or pedal back to the village?

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 15:43 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
TheSpangler wrote:
bishopsmike wrote:
Hey, thinking of heading up from the top of Garbonzo chair to hit Khyber-Nowhere-Kush this weekend... Is there no longer a single ride option for lift tickets - $83 is the only option?

Correct, or you can climb up to it if you don't want to pay.

Climbing isn't allowed so make sure you don't get caught

Microwave Climb

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 16:02 Quote
nickel wrote:
What's up with people just strait up riding over the top of berms these days? New behavior, have not seen this so much in the past.

Long bikes, can't turn.

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 16:07 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
Poachninja wrote:
Btw, I kind of wanted to pedal dark crystal this trip but read that it isn’t a wet weather trail. Where is good to pedal this time of year?

I may be in the minority on this one but I don't really consider Dark Crystal to be worth the pedal up. There are so many better rides in Whistler and the sea to sky.

Recommendations? I’ll be peddling from the village so around Whistler

Howler is the best wet ride around IMO. Easy pedal on the valley Trail from the village then up Rick's roost. Similar length and difficulty to dark crystal so good wet substitute

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 16:16 Quote
dirtpedaler wrote:
How will the riding at Creekside be effected by the proposed replacement of the gondola? Take the bus or pedal back to the village?

When is that supposed to happen? I assume they would try to do it in the off season, potentially late August to December, but I don’t know how feasible that is. How long did the Blackcomb gondola take to build?

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 16:20 Quote
Angu58 wrote:
dirtpedaler wrote:

When is that supposed to happen? I assume they would try to do it in the off season, potentially late August to December, but I don’t know how feasible that is. How long did the Blackcomb gondola take to build?

I'd expect closing as soon as feasible in the spring, it will take all summer/fall for sure. They only just announced it this afternoon.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 2:58 Quote
flipfantasia wrote:
I'd expect closing as soon as feasible in the spring, it will take all summer/fall for sure. They only just announced it this afternoon.

Wow, here is a news article about it. When something like this happens in Europe, they do take all summer and there is just no replacement for bikes. Biking is still such a tiny business compared to skiing.

I wonder if they will let people ride the Creekside trails at all while the gondola is being rebuilt.

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 14:14 Quote
th0m wrote:
flipfantasia wrote:

Wow, here is a news article about it. When something like this happens in Europe, they do take all summer and there is just no replacement for bikes. Biking is still such a tiny business compared to skiing.

I wonder if they will let people ride the Creekside trails at all while the gondola is being rebuilt.

Probably not due to heavy equipment using the access roads for tower footings (assume they will need new ones), flying in towers, cables etc. I can't remember what happened with Blackcomb gondola and access to those trails, flip do you remember that summer?

Sucks given the drive to grow Creekside use in the bike park, but once the old gondola comes down they won't want to direct bike traffic down there as there will be whining when tourists have to pedal DH bikes back to the village.

Long-term it's awesome for winter.

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 7:26 Quote
Is this a ridiculous time to visit whistler from the US? I booked a trip with my two daughters to arrive this Wednesday and return Monday. I'm pulling them from school and everything.

I've been watching the weather and wonder what in the park is open and how miserable these days will be. Wed-Thurs looks wet, so I'm wondering how the park is after. We'll probably pedal Thursday some of the trails that ride well when wet.

Thanks for any information and advice.

Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 7:39 Quote
The park takes the rain really well. You might be surprised whats open.
Just keep an eye on the trail status

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 8:08 Quote
Why on earth is the gondola closed these days given the current lineups??

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 9:56 Quote
bikedrd wrote:
Is this a ridiculous time to visit whistler from the US? I booked a trip with my two daughters to arrive this Wednesday and return Monday. I'm pulling them from school and everything.

I've been watching the weather and wonder what in the park is open and how miserable these days will be. Wed-Thurs looks wet, so I'm wondering how the park is after. We'll probably pedal Thursday some of the trails that ride well when wet.

Park has shorter hours now. Close at 5 pm. There are usually some trail closures in wet weather so you won't get to ride everything. I would only visit during peak season when it's (usually) dry and they are open until 8. Also lines are a bit insane right now with the gondola closed.

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 10:22 Quote
remoh wrote:
Why on earth is the gondola closed these days given the current lineups??

I heard it's been closed since mid August, apparently not enough staff to run it.

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 10:47 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
bikedrd wrote:

Park has shorter hours now. Close at 5 pm. There are usually some trail closures in wet weather so you won't get to ride everything. I would only visit during peak season when it's (usually) dry and they are open until 8. Also lines are a bit insane right now with the gondola closed.
lines were only insane yesterday, I rode every day during the week and it was great. If there's good weather forecast for next weekend it will be busy again. Vast majority of the trails stay open when it's raining, just ones with fresh work get closed usually.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022927
Mobile Version of Website