The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
O+
Posted: May 2, 2022 at 22:34 Quote
What’s up everyone! Just thought I’d put it out there as I see lots of questions on here looking for local and trail information and have had a few people reach out.

Feel free to send me a message and I can help out where I can as I live and work in Whistler - or if you are looking for a local riding buddy or someone to point in the the right direction to good trails and food etc always keen to help out fellow riders.

Happy riding! Safe travels! Cheers

Posted: May 3, 2022 at 8:18 Quote
phlhughes wrote:

Feel free to send me a message and I can help out where I can as I live and work in Whistler - or if you are looking for a local riding buddy or someone to point in the the right direction to good trails and food etc always keen to help out fellow riders.

Hi,
I will be with some friends this summer around mid july to ride in Whistler. It's not our first time but for one day we have an idea to mix a start at Top of the world with the one lift up ticket then riding down outside the bike park and doing some trail riding around sproatt.
What do you think about this route?
https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/planner/view/303799/

Any suggestions?
I will be with some friend who are not big climbers so I tried to limit the vertical elevation and also I will be there with a modified DH bike to be able to pedal a little bit (dropper post, 30 chain ring and 11-46 cassette etc...).

Thanks

O+
Posted: May 3, 2022 at 8:52 Quote
hpman83 wrote:
phlhughes wrote:

Hi,
I will be with some friends this summer around mid july to ride in Whistler. It's not our first time but for one day we have an idea to mix a start at Top of the world with the one lift up ticket then riding down outside the bike park and doing some trail riding around sproatt.
What do you think about this route?
https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/planner/view/303799/

Any suggestions?
I will be with some friend who are not big climbers so I tried to limit the vertical elevation and also I will be there with a modified DH bike to be able to pedal a little bit (dropper post, 30 chain ring and 11-46 cassette etc...).

Thanks

Hi!

The route looks great - the descent from TOPW through Kashmir, middle of nowhere, kush etc is a great ride some good steep stuff.

Over on the Sporatt/Westside area there is some great trails as wel you will ride past so would for sure be worth another ride over there if you can on day and hit some of those.

The routes for sure got some good steep climbs in it. But a 46T and some good legs will get you up there.

Any detail info you need let me know or any other trails you want to try let me know. Would recommend checking out this trails on Blackcomb for sure - quite a solid climb but worth it.

Posted: May 3, 2022 at 11:11 Quote
On blackcomb in 2016 I rode micro climate. I remember that the cling was quite steep.
Maybe I will try to do dark crystal in the morning before the bike park open.
We will have 6 days on the bike park pass and I have planned to ride 2 days in squmish with the shred shuttle.
There are so many trails around and our holidays are not limitless so we have to do some choices. And because we are flying, we can have only one bike with so some tough choices have to be made.
I rode the bike park with a DH bike in the past, I tried with an en euro in 2016 and a DH bike is way better (and more reliable too) for the BC bike park (we will ride silver star and Sun peaks too).

O+
Posted: May 3, 2022 at 19:07 Quote
hpman83 wrote:
On blackcomb in 2016 I rode micro climate. I remember that the cling was quite steep.
Maybe I will try to do dark crystal in the morning before the bike park open.
We will have 6 days on the bike park pass and I have planned to ride 2 days in squmish with the shred shuttle.
There are so many trails around and our holidays are not limitless so we have to do some choices. And because we are flying, we can have only one bike with so some tough choices have to be made.
I rode the bike park with a DH bike in the past, I tried with an en euro in 2016 and a DH bike is way better (and more reliable too) for the BC bike park (we will ride silver star and Sun peaks too).

Nice! Definitely a lot to ride. Squamish and Pemberton are great too. You’ll have a great trip!

O+
Posted: May 3, 2022 at 21:07 Quote
Howdy folks. Staying in Vancouver for our honeymoon in June, and looking to spend a couple days in Whistler. I ride Wisconsin "black" trails and my fiancee can handle blues. We're looking at doing a Private Lesson mostly so we have a good guide in front of us, and to learn a thing or two.

For pricing, the website is a bit unclear if you have to buy a lesson for each person or if (up to four) people can split the $299 CAD for one private lesson. Anyone know how those work? Thanks in advance for insight!

O+
Posted: May 3, 2022 at 22:14 Quote
swansong wrote:
Howdy folks. Staying in Vancouver for our honeymoon in June, and looking to spend a couple days in Whistler. I ride Wisconsin "black" trails and my fiancee can handle blues. We're looking at doing a Private Lesson mostly so we have a good guide in front of us, and to learn a thing or two.

For pricing, the website is a bit unclear if you have to buy a lesson for each person or if (up to four) people can split the $299 CAD for one private lesson. Anyone know how those work? Thanks in advance for insight!

The private lesson rate is for the coach, 2ppl is fine, same price

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 12:53 Quote

Whaaaattt... this weather sucks for the park. If the trail crew is spending a bunch of hours and machine time on digging out snow, it means they are not spending it on trailwork. Not cool at all.

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 13:00 Quote
This happened in 2011 as well and we still had the best season!
Be patient, it's always worth it.

O+
Posted: May 10, 2022 at 9:36 Quote
Maybe it means the bombed out dustbowl phase won't happen until later this summer. Still cold and wet for the next week at least!

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 20:47 Quote
Any word on how snow is looking?

O+
Posted: May 11, 2022 at 21:17 Quote
tyflymtb wrote:

Still a lot around so many of the usual trails still covered - looks like they are working hard on the Park though but still pretty covered and more on the forecast :-(

O+
Posted: May 12, 2022 at 9:26 Quote
tyflymtb wrote:

Snowed 10cm at Blackcomb weather station overnight, Catskinner, 1550m. 4.5C in the village this morning... not ideal for mid-May, need a couple weeks of hot sun if there's any hope of Garbo by targeted June date. Unfortunately the 14 day outlook doesn't seem to show a pattern shift yet. Where was this weather Jan-Mar?! Could've been an epic winter instead of a dud (outside of December and April).

Posted: May 12, 2022 at 18:32 Quote
tyflymtb wrote:

Considering we are having a cold wet May and the over night temps are low. I would say a slow process. This May has been very dark and dreary. There’s even mixed snow rain in the forecast for whistler for overnight.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016261
Mobile Version of Website