The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 16:40 Quote
Headed to the Whistler Valley for a week in July, I’ve been before, but would appreciate some advice on must ride trails.

Last time I went I did the Mtn. for one day, a day in pemberton and a couple days in Squamish. The only Whistler valley trails I rode (and loved every second of em) was A Rockwork Orange/Korova/Wizard burial grounds.

I really enjoyed the trails in Alice Lake, and I’m considering going down there for at least one day…but if there are a bunch of wonderful, must ride trails in Whistler Valley with lots of fun slabs, drops, jumps, and tech then I’ll just stay/ride there.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 19:16 Quote
Yeah, if you can handle the level of tech on wizards, you should check out the Blackcomb trails (hey bud, crazy train, microclimate, dark crystal). They are more rooty tech, crazy train has one slab, microclimate has a couple. Dark crystal has a couple of slabs at the top and an optional big steep one like 1/3 of the way in. Those trails are some of the only ones in Whistler that don't hold up in the wet, especially dark crystal. Should hopefully be all good in July. Howler is an awesome trail for wet days if that happens, rocky tech but kind of flowy too.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 20:01 Quote
kevin267 wrote:
Yeah, if you can handle the level of tech on wizards, you should check out the Blackcomb trails (hey bud, crazy train, microclimate, dark crystal). They are more rooty tech, crazy train has one slab, microclimate has a couple. Dark crystal has a couple of slabs at the top and an optional big steep one like 1/3 of the way in. Those trails are some of the only ones in Whistler that don't hold up in the wet, especially dark crystal. Should hopefully be all good in July. Howler is an awesome trail for wet days if that happens, rocky tech but kind of flowy too.

The pics for those trails on Trailforks look great!

Does comfortabley numb have a lot of fun features?

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 20:13 Quote
It has some fun features, but it's a long xc trail with up and down the whole time, so depends if that's your thing. You could do the 'yummy nummy/foreplay' descent to do the last portion that's mostly down, but still has many short ups along the way.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 20:56 Quote
kevin267 wrote:
It has some fun features, but it's a long xc trail with up and down the whole time, so depends if that's your thing. You could do the 'yummy nummy/foreplay' descent to do the last portion that's mostly down, but still has many short ups along the way.

I don’t have a problem pedaling, if it’s not just long grinds to nowhere.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 21:23 Quote
unrooted wrote:
kevin267 wrote:

If it's open (usually opens late July) and you're keen on a big(1500m of climbing or so) pedal, do lord of the squirrels for sure. The bonus rush hour/happy hour/last call loop at the top is worth it if you have the legs too.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 22:17 Quote
unrooted wrote:
kevin267 wrote:

The usual description of the trail is a toddler on acid chasing a butterfly. Take that as you will.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 9:25 Quote
unrooted wrote:
kevin267 wrote:

The pics for those trails on Trailforks look great!

Does comfortabley numb have a lot of fun features?

No Comfortably Numb is not a fun trail IMHO, its a pure XC up and down all day with no big pay off. Not saying its bad, its just not what i would call a "fun" trail.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 9:38 Quote
The full CN is a lot of trail to nowhere. There are some good shortcuts that remove a bunch of the unnecessary pedalling and turn it into a fun ride

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 10:39 Quote
Clownshoe wrote:
The full CN is a lot of trail to nowhere. There are some good shortcuts that remove a bunch of the unnecessary pedalling and turn it into a fun ride

Have any of you guys ridden Duncan’s (It’s Business Time)?

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 10:50 Quote
Business Time is fun if you're in that neck of the woods. On the more pedally side but it's got some really fun features. And it's easy to link with ampm which is short but super fun.

The CN descent is pretty fun, although definitely more of an xc descent with lots of small uphill bits and lots of pedalling. There are faster ways to access it than by doing the full CN loop though.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 11:05 Quote
I just watched a video of High Society, it looks like a good time…and cheap thrills appears to be something I’d like as well.

Green monster looks like it might be the must do.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 11:33 Quote
unrooted wrote:
I just watched a video of High Society, it looks like a good time…and cheap thrills appears to be something I’d like as well.

Green monster looks like it might be the must do.

Cheap Thrills, AC/DC and Bush Doctor are all great Westside trails. Green Monster is a great ride as well. Gargamel is also worth checking out if you've got a bit more time. Don't miss some of the chunky stuff in the No Flow - Anal, No Girlie and The Thing.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 4:51 Quote
Hi guys,

Am sure has been asked a lot of times. However does anyone have recommendations of a private transfer company from Vancouver Airport to Whistler. There are 5 of us with no bikes as renting, just after a fast and affordable private transfer (I would get the bus with EPICrides but a few on the guys are princesses).

Cheers

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016395
Mobile Version of Website