The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 6:13 Quote
nofx007 wrote:
Hi guys,

Am sure has been asked a lot of times. However does anyone have recommendations of a private transfer company from Vancouver Airport to Whistler. There are 5 of us with no bikes as renting, just after a fast and affordable private transfer (I would get the bus with EPICrides but a few on the guys are princesses).

Cheers

Scroll back 1 page for the answer

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 7:16 Quote
I think the stretch limousines might still be flat rate, so for 5 people it may be pretty cost effective.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 10:45 Quote
unrooted wrote:
Headed to the Whistler Valley for a week in July, I’ve been before, but would appreciate some advice on must ride trails.

Last time I went I did the Mtn. for one day, a day in pemberton and a couple days in Squamish. The only Whistler valley trails I rode (and loved every second of em) was A Rockwork Orange/Korova/Wizard burial grounds.

I really enjoyed the trails in Alice Lake, and I’m considering going down there for at least one day…but if there are a bunch of wonderful, must ride trails in Whistler Valley with lots of fun slabs, drops, jumps, and tech then I’ll just stay/ride there.

I spend a week in Whistler every year. I use to bring my trail bike thinking I would ride the Whistler Valley, Squamish, Pemberton, etc, however every single trip my trail bike would not get ridden as I wanted to maximize my time riding the best bike park on the planet. There is lots of great single track where I live, but nothing even half as good as A-Line, Dirt Merchant, Schlayer, etc. Now, I only bring my DH bike.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 11:35 Quote
charmingbob wrote:
unrooted wrote:
Headed to the Whistler Valley for a week in July, I’ve been before, but would appreciate some advice on must ride trails.

Last time I went I did the Mtn. for one day, a day in pemberton and a couple days in Squamish. The only Whistler valley trails I rode (and loved every second of em) was A Rockwork Orange/Korova/Wizard burial grounds.

I really enjoyed the trails in Alice Lake, and I’m considering going down there for at least one day…but if there are a bunch of wonderful, must ride trails in Whistler Valley with lots of fun slabs, drops, jumps, and tech then I’ll just stay/ride there.

I spend a week in Whistler every year. I use to bring my trail bike thinking I would ride the Whistler Valley, Squamish, Pemberton, etc, however every single trip my trail bike would not get ridden as I wanted to maximize my time riding the best bike park on the planet. There is lots of great single track where I live, but nothing even half as good as A-Line, Dirt Merchant, Schlayer, etc. Now, I only bring my DH bike.

I prefer trail riding to bike park, I could easily go to Whistler and not even ride on the mountain!

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 13:29 Quote
nofx007 wrote:
Hi guys,

Am sure has been asked a lot of times. However does anyone have recommendations of a private transfer company from Vancouver Airport to Whistler. There are 5 of us with no bikes as renting, just after a fast and affordable private transfer (I would get the bus with EPICrides but a few on the guys are princesses).

Cheers

Good options, most would use a sprinter van although with 5 without bikes you could squeeze in a big SUV too;

Whistler connection/ridebooker
Whistler VIP transportation
Excel limousine (not just limo they have SUVs and sprinter vans)
Luxury transportation

Depending on the time of day and traffic conditions, 'fast' might not be an option as traffic can be pretty awful between the airport and Whistler haha. But a private transfer means no waiting for other people's flights or doing extra pick ups and drops etc

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 15:22 Quote
Just planned a trip up to Whistler for the 2nd time. Got canceled cuz Covid both times. Been up there once in 2019 did SGC stoked to do it again this year. Anything new I should look for?

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 10:42 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
Just planned a trip up to Whistler for the 2nd time. Got canceled cuz Covid both times. Been up there once in 2019 did SGC stoked to do it again this year. Anything new I should look for?
Creekside is closed for this season.

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 18:30 Quote
alanabailey wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
Wtf really? That sucks!!!

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 20:04 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
alanabailey wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

Replacing the old lift.

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 20:50 Quote
unrooted wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
alanabailey wrote:

Replacing the old lift.
Nah bro that can't be true. They spent 1mil+ $$ on it. They're screwing over the shops and hotels over there.

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 20:55 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
unrooted wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

Replacing the old lift.
Nah bro that can't be true. They spent 1mil+ $$ on it. They're screwing over the shops and hotels over there.

It’s true - new high speed gondola going in and new Big Red Express being replaced for winter I believe so a few disruptions. Sucks! Haha

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 20:59 Quote
phlhughes wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
unrooted wrote:

Replacing the old lift.

It’s true - new high speed gondola going in and new Big Red Express being replaced for winter I believe so a few disruptions. Sucks! Haha
I feel like they could have done it at a better time. Maybe shoulder season? Oct-Dec

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 21:05 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
phlhughes wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

I feel like they could have done it at a better time. Maybe shoulder season? Oct-Dec
My local ski hill has replaced nearly all there lifts in the last 10 years each has taken at least 3 months, a little long for shoulder season i think.

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 21:29 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
unrooted wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

Replacing the old lift.

From WBP
Big news! All the iconic elements of summer are back this year with the Peak Zone’s Top of the World open daily, and more capacity in the Garbo and Fitz Zones. Garbanzo Chair will be spinning by 10:15am each morning, and additional cabins marked for bike on the Whistler Village Gondola.

This is a work-hard, play-hard year for the Whistler Mountain Bike Park, opening May 13 (snowmelt allowing). The Creekside Zone will be closed for construction as Creekside Gondola and Big Red Express chairlift are replaced with new high-speed lifts to increase capacity for both summer and winter. This critical upgrade will allow expansion of the Creek Zone with loads more trail openings for years to come. Stay tuned

Timely updates on Garbanzo Zone trail reroutes, and interesting highlights in our summer of construction can be found here. In the meantime, summer in the bike park will feature:

✅ Women’s and Men’s Night

✅ Phat Wednesday racing

✅ Crankworx mountain bike festival

✅ Summer Gravity Camps

✅ ✅ DFX and Phat Kids.

More on Pinkbike. Link is below. T-mins 29 days and counting...

: Paul Stevens / : Christie Fitzpatrick

https://bit.ly/37f5vYv

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 8:05 Quote
Doesn’t Whistler get a bit of snow in October-December?

I work in highway construction in the driest part of California, and we aren’t even allowed to do construction after October 15th because it’s considered the wet season.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013177
Mobile Version of Website