The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: May 22, 2022 at 9:04 Quote
Got snow a few days ago lol.

The construction will take all spring/summer/fall to complete

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 11:28 Quote
It's 2 total lift replacements, new towers, bases, tops, everything. No chance they can do that all in the shoulder season(s). It's a winter focused upgrade, and definitely a pain that creek zone is closed this year but it'll make a huge difference to the ski season. At least top of the world will still be open, plus extra bike gondola cabins to help take the pressure off fitz.

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 15:56 Quote
unrooted wrote:
Doesn’t Whistler get a bit of snow in October-December?

I work in highway construction in the driest part of California, and we aren’t even allowed to do construction after October 15th because it’s considered the wet season.
Dam really? That's kinda weird. CA is like always die. Couldn't they make changes?

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 15:57 Quote
kingtut87 wrote:
It's 2 total lift replacements, new towers, bases, tops, everything. No chance they can do that all in the shoulder season(s). It's a winter focused upgrade, and definitely a pain that creek zone is closed this year but it'll make a huge difference to the ski season. At least top of the world will still be open, plus extra bike gondola cabins to help take the pressure off fitz.
Garbo is still open though?

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 16:02 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
kingtut87 wrote:
Garbo is still open though?

It will open but maybe delayed as we have so much snow and the lower abnormal temps is creating more snow at lower elevations.

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 19:40 Quote
It's not Whistler, but heading to Pemby this summer and wondering if anyone has any recommendations to make.

Wife is a blue/easyish black type of rider, and looking to see what the best trails would be for that? Would cream puff be too difficult? No Err looks like a good trail, and cream puff looks like a fun way down haha. She's okay to walk a few sections if needed as well. Also looking at Fizzy Pop/Dog Beach since we'll be camping at Nairn Falls... looks like we can just bike from there. Sounds like we gotta do the Nimby climb as well, so looking at max/back pains to radio tower and cross town traffic.

Are these fun trails to ride, or would we be bored on those? Thanks a bunch!

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 23:05 Quote
tvan5 wrote:
It's not Whistler, but heading to Pemby this summer and wondering if anyone has any recommendations to make.

Wife is a blue/easyish black type of rider, and looking to see what the best trails would be for that? Would cream puff be too difficult? No Err looks like a good trail, and cream puff looks like a fun way down haha. She's okay to walk a few sections if needed as well. Also looking at Fizzy Pop/Dog Beach since we'll be camping at Nairn Falls... looks like we can just bike from there. Sounds like we gotta do the Nimby climb as well, so looking at max/back pains to radio tower and cross town traffic.

You might struggle with Cream Puff a tad, but honestly; it's worth it, it's just such a ridiculously fun trail in most parts and is so beautiful. No Err will be perfectly within your abilities and is a beautiful trail. Consider riding The Sickness into it. Econoline in that zone never hurts. Fizzy Pop to Dog Beach is a pleasure. Max and Back aren't as good as they once were but are still very nice. If you're up for it, you could head all the way up to Rudy's. It sounds like you've made some great choices.

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 1:38 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
I feel like they could have done it at a better time. Maybe shoulder season? Oct-Dec

kevin267 wrote:
The construction will take all spring/summer/fall to complete

If gondola replacements in Switzerland are anything to go by, it will be a whole summer of this:

Gondola construction with two helicopters
Gondola construction with two helicopters

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 7:30 Quote
Sun2306 wrote:
tvan5 wrote:

You might struggle with Cream Puff a tad, but honestly; it's worth it, it's just such a ridiculously fun trail in most parts and is so beautiful. No Err will be perfectly within your abilities and is a beautiful trail. Consider riding The Sickness into it. Econoline in that zone never hurts. Fizzy Pop to Dog Beach is a pleasure. Max and Back aren't as good as they once were but are still very nice. If you're up for it, you could head all the way up to Rudy's. It sounds like you've made some great choices.

Amazing thank you! I really want to ride cream puff and trails like it but don't want my wife to hate it. I think we'll go for it, she rides some of the blacks in Chilliwack here too. Walking is okay in a few sections, as long as it isnt a super steep trail the whole way down haha! She loves a good view too!

Also... is Lumpy's quite a challenging descent? Not too worried about the effort, my wife has done lord of the squirrels a couple times with me. Just more curious about the technical aspect.

Thanks again!

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 7:59 Quote
tvan5 wrote:
Sun2306 wrote:
tvan5 wrote:

Amazing thank you! I really want to ride cream puff and trails like it but don't want my wife to hate it. I think we'll go for it, she rides some of the blacks in Chilliwack here too. Walking is okay in a few sections, as long as it isnt a super steep trail the whole way down haha! She loves a good view too!

Also... is Lumpy's quite a challenging descent? Not too worried about the effort, my wife has done lord of the squirrels a couple times with me. Just more curious about the technical aspect.

Thanks again!

Lumpy's is pretty technical, fairly tech steep climb to get to the height of land before descending, probably better to do it via news flash/break-away. Econoline, Econodave, Dark Forest, Cross town is also a good lap for that level of rider, blue, but not super easy blue.

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 9:42 Quote
Hi guys, i’m planning my trip to whistler this summer (3-22/0Cool and i’m struggling a bit to find everything i need, especialy a car rental! If you guys have any tips or thing to know about moving from vancouver to whistler or anything else let me know.
Cheers

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 10:23 Quote
Frenchemetalheads wrote:
Hi guys, i’m planning my trip to whistler this summer (3-22/0Cool and i’m struggling a bit to find everything i need, especialy a car rental! If you guys have any tips or thing to know about moving from vancouver to whistler or anything else let me know.
Cheers

Rental car situation is insane right now in Vancouver. Try looking in downtown Van rather than the airport.

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 10:30 Quote
Yeah ot seem pretty hard to find anything, all the website are out of stock or the price are crazy, i will try further away from the airport but it might be the same deal…

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 10:45 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
alanabailey wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
Just planned a trip up to Whistler for the 2nd time. Got canceled cuz Covid both times. Been up there once in 2019 did SGC stoked to do it again this year. Anything new I should look for?
Creekside is closed for this season.
Wtf really? That sucks!!!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/whistler-mountain-bike-park-closes-creekside-to-prepare-for-big-plans-ahead.html

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 11:07 Quote
Hey all. Kinda of topic but: how much time is being needed now to exit YVR? I'm looking at EpicRides, and the time that might work for me is 12.30, but my flight is scheduled to arrive at 11.10. Is it enough time? Considering the extra trip to River Rock?

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009173
Mobile Version of Website