The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: May 23, 2022 at 11:32 Quote
Frenchemetalheads wrote:
Yeah ot seem pretty hard to find anything, all the website are out of stock or the price are crazy, i will try further away from the airport but it might be the same deal…

Could do a shuttle from the airport to whistler instead. Ridebooker/whistler connection, skylynx, and epic rides are the main ones

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 11:32 Quote
Frenchemetalheads wrote:
Hi guys, i’m planning my trip to whistler this summer (3-22/0Cool and i’m struggling a bit to find everything i need, especialy a car rental! If you guys have any tips or thing to know about moving from vancouver to whistler or anything else let me know.
Cheers
Car rentals are hard to find due to pandemic. Most sold off their fleets.
Best to call around

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 11:33 Quote
pablorojas wrote:
Hey all. Kinda of topic but: how much time is being needed now to exit YVR? I'm looking at EpicRides, and the time that might work for me is 12.30, but my flight is scheduled to arrive at 11.10. Is it enough time? Considering the extra trip to River Rock?

Lately for international guests it's taking around 45 minutes to get through customs and get bags. Can vary a lot depending if there's visa stuff to sort out or issues getting luggage.

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 11:33 Quote
pablorojas wrote:
Hey all. Kinda of topic but: how much time is being needed now to exit YVR? I'm looking at EpicRides, and the time that might work for me is 12.30, but my flight is scheduled to arrive at 11.10. Is it enough time? Considering the extra trip to River Rock?
I would call epic rides and ask

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 12:35 Quote
pablorojas wrote:
last year i was waiting at the baggage claim for over an hour

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 16:10 Quote
pablorojas wrote:

Customs (nightmare sometimes unless you have Nexus)
Baggage claim - total nightmare
skytrain to River Rock 13-15mins

gonna be tight, but doable

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 16:56 Quote
We thinking dirt merchant will be open by June 14th??

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 17:03 Quote
tyflymtb wrote:

I’ve heard July 1.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 19:14 Quote
unrooted wrote:
tyflymtb wrote:

I’ve heard July 1.

Where you hear that?

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 20:29 Quote
unrooted wrote:
tyflymtb wrote:

I’ve heard July 1.

Where did you hear July 1? Garbo is still showing June 11.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 14:15 Quote
tvan5 wrote:
It's not Whistler, but heading to Pemby this summer and wondering if anyone has any recommendations to make.

Wife is a blue/easyish black type of rider, and looking to see what the best trails would be for that? Would cream puff be too difficult? No Err looks like a good trail, and cream puff looks like a fun way down haha. She's okay to walk a few sections if needed as well. Also looking at Fizzy Pop/Dog Beach since we'll be camping at Nairn Falls... looks like we can just bike from there. Sounds like we gotta do the Nimby climb as well, so looking at max/back pains to radio tower and cross town traffic.

Are these fun trails to ride, or would we be bored on those? Thanks a bunch!

Creampuff is a must ride. Your wife may walk parts and/or use the ridearounds for some of the slabs but it's totally doable. Bottom gets very dry.

I would skip max/back pains. So much effort for very little reward. Go a bit further up and do Rudy's to Overnight Sensation. Much much better value.

No Err is a great trail and you can do multiple laps of it easily. Egress via cream puff. Lower Mackenzie is good, and Hawaii is not the rowdy trail it once was. While you're around mosquito lake, Jim Jam is pretty fun if you like going fast.

Closer to Nairn, hit up Pioneer/fizzy pop/dog beach. On the way back to the camp site, be sure to ride cookie cutter. Maybe get your wife to then go right and go backwards on lumpy's to finish at Nairn while you try out Tower of Power. Spooky but sick rock slabs. Skip full lumpy's unless you love suffery cross country rides. you'll ride bits and pieces of it while getting around on Signal Hill (that's the small mound with all that stuff on it).

Across the highway, Pacific DH and Black Squirrel are good rides and Fat Tug certainly tickles some people's fancy.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 14:46 Quote
This season might be the worse one in Whistler for Vancouverites, with no Creekside and expensive gas $2.40 for 94

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 19:31 Quote
th0m wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
I feel like they could have done it at a better time. Maybe shoulder season? Oct-Dec

kevin267 wrote:
The construction will take all spring/summer/fall to complete

If gondola replacements in Switzerland are anything to go by, it will be a whole summer of this:

Gondola construction with two helicopters
Gondola construction with two helicopters

Can confirm, been hearing choppers going all last week.

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 7:00 Quote
nickel wrote:
tvan5 wrote:
It's not Whistler, but heading to Pemby this summer and wondering if anyone has any recommendations to make.

Wife is a blue/easyish black type of rider, and looking to see what the best trails would be for that? Would cream puff be too difficult? No Err looks like a good trail, and cream puff looks like a fun way down haha. She's okay to walk a few sections if needed as well. Also looking at Fizzy Pop/Dog Beach since we'll be camping at Nairn Falls... looks like we can just bike from there. Sounds like we gotta do the Nimby climb as well, so looking at max/back pains to radio tower and cross town traffic.

Creampuff is a must ride. Your wife may walk parts and/or use the ridearounds for some of the slabs but it's totally doable. Bottom gets very dry.

I would skip max/back pains. So much effort for very little reward. Go a bit further up and do Rudy's to Overnight Sensation. Much much better value.

No Err is a great trail and you can do multiple laps of it easily. Egress via cream puff. Lower Mackenzie is good, and Hawaii is not the rowdy trail it once was. While you're around mosquito lake, Jim Jam is pretty fun if you like going fast.

Closer to Nairn, hit up Pioneer/fizzy pop/dog beach. On the way back to the camp site, be sure to ride cookie cutter. Maybe get your wife to then go right and go backwards on lumpy's to finish at Nairn while you try out Tower of Power. Spooky but sick rock slabs. Skip full lumpy's unless you love suffery cross country rides. you'll ride bits and pieces of it while getting around on Signal Hill (that's the small mound with all that stuff on it).

Across the highway, Pacific DH and Black Squirrel are good rides and Fat Tug certainly tickles some people's fancy.

great post, thanks nickel

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 9:52 Quote
nickel wrote:
tvan5 wrote:

So good thank you!! Can't wait to get out there, seem to stop at squamish/Whistler every time I go that way. These trails look great!

Is Overnight Sensation okay for the wife as well, maybe with just a bit of walk arounds?

Thanks a ton for the tips and for all the other awesome work you do! Always appreciated.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010169
Mobile Version of Website