The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Jun 5, 2022 at 17:53 Quote
watch123 wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
Why do they decide to close Creekside this year? Right after all us Americans could get a chance to get up there they close a big portion of the bike park.

Wasn't this discussed a few pages ago? They don't just plan an upgrade like this a month in advance, it probably took at least a year of planning, and I wouldn't be surprised if they planned to do it in 2021, but it got pushed back due to covid.

Either way, you'll still have a really fun bikepark to ride, it's not like Whistler will suddenly go from a world class bikepark to an afterthought of a bikepark that just barely breaks even over the summer (or loses money as is the case for my local hill).
Are the tickets 25% cheaper now? I haven't looked at pricing yet this year but most likely Vail is trying to make tickets more expensive. If they were cool they would compensate for the less bike park area open. That's my two sense. Funny how only CA riders are commenting on this topic because you guys were able to ride the bike park the past 2 years while us from the US weren't. I highly doubt they "just brake even."

Posted: Jun 5, 2022 at 18:14 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
watch123 wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
Why do they decide to close Creekside this year? Right after all us Americans could get a chance to get up there they close a big portion of the bike park.

Wasn't this discussed a few pages ago? They don't just plan an upgrade like this a month in advance, it probably took at least a year of planning, and I wouldn't be surprised if they planned to do it in 2021, but it got pushed back due to covid.

Either way, you'll still have a really fun bikepark to ride, it's not like Whistler will suddenly go from a world class bikepark to an afterthought of a bikepark that just barely breaks even over the summer (or loses money as is the case for my local hill).
Are the tickets 25% cheaper now? I haven't looked at pricing yet this year but most likely Vail is trying to make tickets more expensive. If they were cool they would compensate for the less bike park area open. That's my two sense. Funny how only CA riders are commenting on this topic because you guys were able to ride the bike park the past 2 years while us from the US weren't. I highly doubt they "just brake even."
No they aren’t discounted because a portion of the park is closed.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 3:55 Quote
Putting in new gondola/chairs. Will be worth it in the long run, especially if you ski.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 11:44 Quote
Next boarding season will be nice w the new lifts.

Two *cents

* break even

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 12:30 Quote
I just want EVERYTHING to be better, but without any changes.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 13:50 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
If you think Vail is "cool" then you are naive as f***. They're a publicly traded corporation. Vail exists to make money. Sometimes they build cool stuff and do cool things but that's incidental to their reason-for-being. The best thing you can do right now, if you're really this frustrated by the situation, is to skip the Whistler Bike Park this year. That's the only thing that might get 'em where it hurts.

Perhaps a better idea, send Vail a polite, firm, non-whiny email where you lay out your case and see if you can get yourself that 25% discount. I'm giving it a shot myself seeing as the Creekside closure means at least one less bike park ticket from me this year.

Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 13:55 Quote
gondola needed to be replaced. be more worried when the fitz and garbo chairs need to be replaced

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 14:59 Quote
Not sure if this is normal but last time I went to the park there were lineups at Fitz that were over an hour long...and literally nobody at creekside. Did not see a single person in the 4 laps I did over there. The lady at the creekside lift said there's never anyone there and it's always empty. Trails were also not as good in my opinion. Maybe if enough paying customers were using that side maybe things would be different?

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 15:27 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
Maybe if enough paying customers were using that side maybe things would be different?

Nah, it's a winter ops focused upgrade. The lifts from Creekside are aging and aren't cut out for the number of users in that area in the winter any more. The trails being shut is a safety thing and there's not way they'd jeopardize winter income over summer.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 18:17 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
Not sure if this is normal but last time I went to the park there were lineups at Fitz that were over an hour long...and literally nobody at creekside. Did not see a single person in the 4 laps I did over there. The lady at the creekside lift said there's never anyone there and it's always empty. Trails were also not as good in my opinion. Maybe if enough paying customers were using that side maybe things would be different?

In my experience, Creekside is always quiet compared to Fitz. Similar lines to Garbo. As for the trails, I feel they really stepped it up in recent years - Misfire is a great piece of techy single track!

Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 9:54 Quote
bocomtb wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
If you think Vail is "cool" then you are naive as f***. They're a publicly traded corporation. Vail exists to make money. Sometimes they build cool stuff and do cool things but that's incidental to their reason-for-being. The best thing you can do right now, if you're really this frustrated by the situation, is to skip the Whistler Bike Park this year. That's the only thing that might get 'em where it hurts.

Perhaps a better idea, send Vail a polite, firm, non-whiny email where you lay out your case and see if you can get yourself that 25% discount. I'm giving it a shot myself seeing as the Creekside closure means at least one less bike park ticket from me this year.
I hate f**kin Vail. I was saying if they were (which they aren’t). They f**ked up my local bike park Northstar.

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 10:44 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
I hate f**kin Vail. I was saying if they were (which they aren’t). They f**ked up my local bike park Northstar.

I’ve never heard a good thing about NorthStar, but things can always get worse.

There’s certainly a trend with all of the resorts getting bought up by a couple big corporations. Mammoth ha lbs declined in the last couple years, last year he new trail crew at mammoth royally f*cked up the jumps on 2 of the few jump trails, they used to be nice tables, but now they have steep lips and big humps that you must clear if you don’t want to get bucked. I don’t know if it’s the ownership, shitty managers, or just morons on the trail crew. I did complain about it and was told ”those are for experts only”.

Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 11:11 Quote
unrooted wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

I’ve never heard a good thing about NorthStar, but things can always get worse.

There’s certainly a trend with all of the resorts getting bought up by a couple big corporations. Mammoth ha lbs declined in the last couple years, last year he new trail crew at mammoth royally f*cked up the jumps on 2 of the few jump trails, they used to be nice tables, but now they have steep lips and big humps that you must clear if you don’t want to get bucked. I don’t know if it’s the ownership, shitty managers, or just morons on the trail crew. I did complain about it and was told ”those are for experts only”.
Yea when I want to Mammoth 2 summers ago Pipeline was running horribly. Some of the jumps were to easy to clear and some were to hard to clear. So you get into this start stop kind of jump line. I see this the most a Northstar because it’s closer so I ride it more.

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 11:26 Quote
Why can’t all mountains be Whistler?

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 12:06 Quote
There's a whistler mountain in Jasper as well. No bike park though

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014269
Mobile Version of Website