The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 9:55 Quote
bocomtb wrote:
Can we now begin incessant questioning about when TOTW opens up?
or Lord of the Squirrels

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 14:57 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
alanabailey wrote:
Garbo is now open
SO MUCH HYPE NOW! Why doesn't the website update yet. What trails are really open?

Here’s the link to what trails are open:

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/explore-the-resort/activities-and-events/whistler-mountain-bike-park/plan-your-ride/trail-map-and-status.aspx

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 18:23 Quote
Is anyone else going to be in the Whistler area the first week of July? If so, is there any interest in joining me on a few black and double black diamond trails in the valley?

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 8:00 Quote
It's 8am and the bike park trail status page is showing all the Garbonzo trails are closed. Did a bunch of laps up there yesterday, lower freights, sidetrack, no duff were open. Checking Twitter bike parks ops and there has been some issues with the chair recently, hmmm...

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 10:11 Quote
dirtpedaler wrote:
It's 8am and the bike park trail status page is showing all the Garbonzo trails are closed. Did a bunch of laps up there yesterday, lower freights, sidetrack, no duff were open. Checking Twitter bike parks ops and there has been some issues with the chair recently, hmmm...

All good now, website is updated, no need to panic!

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 11:13 Quote
dirtpedaler wrote:

Well, might as well sell the ol bike

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 15:08 Quote
remoh wrote:

No kidding, the lift lines today will make you want to sell the DH bike.

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 19:52 Quote
dirtpedaler wrote:
remoh wrote:

Didn’t help that there was a BC CUP DH race today and the sun was finally out.

Posted: Jun 26, 2022 at 8:11 Quote
alanabailey wrote:
dirtpedaler wrote:
remoh wrote:

Didn’t help that there was a BC CUP DH race today and the sun was finally out.

Crowd did thin out eventually, I guess for most riders is was too sunny. Bear Cub probably wore out quite a few riders as well.

Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 8:42 Quote
Anyone ridden the gondola with bikes yet? They said they were going to increase the ratio of bike cabins this year; in past years I think it was 1 bike cabin for every 4 tourist cabins. What is the ratio this year?

Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 10:53 Quote
Zaeius wrote:
Anyone ridden the gondola with bikes yet? They said they were going to increase the ratio of bike cabins this year; in past years I think it was 1 bike cabin for every 4 tourist cabins. What is the ratio this year?

It seemed like 3 to 1 now. Too bad they couldn't use the Creekside bike racks on the Whistler gondola, that would help except I don't know how they would be able to unload the bikes midway.

Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 20:14 Quote
Zaeius wrote:

Okay, paid better attention today, was 2 to 1 and they were also putting dfx kids in tourist cabins, so we'll call it 1.5 to 1. There are signs in the corral for the wait, 60 minutes at the entrance to the corral, then there is a 45 minutes spot, and then a 30 minute sign at the turn for the final section and it's pretty accurate, it seems like that last stretch you are pretty close to getting there, but it's 30 minutes. It looks like there is hardly a line but slow going.

The most we've counted at Garbo is around 20 riders Saturday but mostly it's been a few or none. Upper Uno Moss off the gondola looking buried still from top of Garbo lift. Haven't made it up to roundhouse yet so can't say if it's getting dug out.

Rope dropped on the container today.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 16:38 Quote
Another gondi update. They are putting blue flags on half of the hiker cabins so that if there are no hikers in line bikes can load. Not many hikers today but the short gondi line was still about the same wait as a half full fitz corral and singles line as been really long.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 16:43 Quote
dirtpedaler wrote:
Another gondi update. They are putting blue flags on half of the hiker cabins so that if there are no hikers in line bikes can load. Not many hikers today but the short gondi line was still about the same wait as a half full fitz corral and singles line as been really long.

Good that they are at least improving it a little. I still feel like there should be more bike cabins than sightseeing cabins, as bikers do multiple laps and hikers/sightseeing just go up once. Plus hikers/sightseeing can fit way more people, bikers max out with 4

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 18:15 Quote
It can be tough getting 4 in there, lol.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009413
Mobile Version of Website