The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 8:42 Quote
You'd think they'd have plenty of man power to get TOTW and other high elevation trails ready and open by now with the creekside being closed.

Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 12:23 Quote
1199 DH track will be used for EWS! Awesome to see after not hearing about it for a while:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cgo46bkAwEM/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Posted: Aug 1, 2022 at 2:32 Quote
Hi everyone, weird question maybe: are there any communities in or around Whistler for people who plan to visit by themselves and stay there for a couple of months? Just to hang out and ride with and such.

I might visit for a couple of weeks in September, or maybe even for a couple of months next year. I've only been once, best three days of my life. Still very much a DH beginner though. I'm from the Netherlands, which is super flat.

Posted: Aug 1, 2022 at 9:33 Quote
daanwalet wrote:
Hi everyone, weird question maybe: are there any communities in or around Whistler for people who plan to visit by themselves and stay there for a couple of months? Just to hang out and ride with and such.

I might visit for a couple of weeks in September, or maybe even for a couple of months next year. I've only been once, best three days of my life. Still very much a DH beginner though. I'm from the Netherlands, which is super flat.

Squamish has everything you looking for

Posted: Aug 1, 2022 at 11:47 Quote
daanwalet wrote:

If you're going to be around for a number of months, you should think about joining WORCA or SORCA and participate in some of their local races and events where you could meet people to ride with. Definitely more gravity oriented riding 'round here though.

Posted: Aug 1, 2022 at 18:06 Quote
Squamish is like Disneyland for mountain biking.

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 9:27 Quote
Thanks guys! So I guess Squamish is a better option to stay than Whistler itself? And then make the drive a couple of times per week? I'll have to do some research on a car then, because to rent for months is probably super expensive.

@calicartel: could you point me in the right direction? What should I Google?

@djyosh: that sounds awesome. Fun events sound fun! ;D Racing isn't for me though, as I'm 30 and a noob.

@Nonsmoker: but more for trail riding right? I have seen the beautiful North Shore videos. Unfortunately I got myself a pretty nasty knee injury by road cycling. So downhill would be a great workaround, as I wouldn't have to pedal. When I was in Whistler for three days in 2019 I had zero knee pain, as that only occurs while pedaling long and hard.

I'll also look around Squamish for a temp job as a web developer there, so I might meet some people.

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 12:31 Quote
daanwalet wrote:
Thanks guys! So I guess Squamish is a better option to stay than Whistler itself? And then make the drive a couple of times per week? I'll have to do some research on a car then, because to rent for months is probably super expensive.

@calicartel: could you point me in the right direction? What should I Google?

@djyosh: that sounds awesome. Fun events sound fun! ;D Racing isn't for me though, as I'm 30 and a noob.

@Nonsmoker: but more for trail riding right? I have seen the beautiful North Shore videos. Unfortunately I got myself a pretty nasty knee injury by road cycling. So downhill would be a great workaround, as I wouldn't have to pedal. When I was in Whistler for three days in 2019 I had zero knee pain, as that only occurs while pedaling long and hard.

I'll also look around Squamish for a temp job as a web developer there, so I might meet some people.
pros and cons to both places but for a short stint like you're talking about going to whistler would be better IMO if you can sort out a place to live (very difficult)

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 14:09 Quote
daanwalet wrote:

I'll reply to this original post. First of all Kevin is right. It's hard to find a place to stay in either Squamish or Whistler. Accommodations are tight

Having said that it's important when you get to Whistler (and I only speak to Whistler as I don't know Squamish). If you get there in May and plan to stay for a few months you'll have a better chance than most since that's when a lot of people take off from their winter work so there's a bit more rental accoms. If you live in Whistler and plan to ride in Whistler you can go car-free.

Both Squamish, Whistler, North Van, Pemberton have good biking communities. One tip is to volunteer to do trailwork or volunteer with the local trail associations. You will meet people and get good connections that way.

Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 3:03 Quote
May sounds allright. Living in Whistler sounds best then, acquiring a car for three or four months kinda sounds like a hassle. Especially since I really want to do downhill, as I can't do climbs because of my knee injury.

The bike park opens somewhere halfway through May right? When does the ski resort normally close? I also like to go snowboarding, so that would be an added bonus if I could do that for a couple of weeks at the start of my stay.

The volunteer trailwork sounds like fun! I like to be outside and do some tinkering. I'll have to learn about trail design though.

Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 10:22 Quote
daanwalet wrote:
May sounds allright. Living in Whistler sounds best then, acquiring a car for three or four months kinda sounds like a hassle. Especially since I really want to do downhill, as I can't do climbs because of my knee injury.

The bike park opens somewhere halfway through May right? When does the ski resort normally close? I also like to go snowboarding, so that would be an added bonus if I could do that for a couple of weeks at the start of my stay.

The volunteer trailwork sounds like fun! I like to be outside and do some tinkering. I'll have to learn about trail design though.

There's actually a little bit of overlap with bike park opening mid may and the skiing closing (usually Blackcomb stays open until mid or late may, Whistler until mid April)

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 1:08 Quote
Camstyn wrote:
CSdirt wrote:
Waaa waaa waa! “Back in my day everything was better” waaa waaaaaaa

Sometimes the truth hurts. The trail crew do an amazing job with the park. Everything else gets worse every year, making it less appealing to go. I just started going in 2018 and I’ve noticed the decline, don’t know if I’ll go back. Mainly because of the vibe of the village which used to be fun but is now more annoying. And because accomodation prices have gotten to the point where it’s just not worth it. Not when you have these other great options in the interior.

I just came back (actually last week from a trip to Whistler and the interior). Ivisited whistler in 2005 - 2006 -2007- 2008 -2009 - 2010 - 2016 and then 2022.
I could see the evolution of the bike park through the years.

First thing to come in my mind is the line up at the bottom. Between 2005 to 2010, is was very minimal to the point that we usually call the day off before the bike park closed at 8pm because of fatigue. In 2016, the line increased but still was very manageable. But in 2022, in 6 days in Whistler we had just 2 days of OK line (Thursday and Monday) but with no patterns showing really (we avoided the WE anyways). The line are just a little bit too long now. We spent the entire day in the park from 10am to 8pm without being really tired at the end, just because we did less laps than before because of the line.

For the maintenance of the trails itself. In Deep suffered from a lot of damage. The trail is way more difficult now than in 2005. Same with Goats Gully. Duffman is completely different at the end with very sketchy rocky sections now because of erosion. Apart from that, the trails are in good conditions compare to the early days. When we take in account the huge amount of traffic on the trails, the trail crew is doing a pretty good job to maintain the park in order. Even the brake bumps (excepts in some short section on blue velvet) were very minimal compare to a french standard for example.

But clearly the main problem now in Whistler is the line up. I'm wondering why they don't make the pedestrians going up on blackcomb, use the peak to peak and then make them going downhill with the Gondola. This way, you can have all the cabins of the gondola for riders going up instead of 1 cabin every 3. It could help a lot the Fitzimmons chair to adsorb the number of riders.
And also develop more the Garbo zone to help keeping riders on top. Especially this year, with the closure of NoJoke and Freight train, there was a limited number of trails available at the top.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 15:00 Quote
hpman83 wrote:
Camstyn wrote:
CSdirt wrote:
Waaa waaa waa! “Back in my day everything was better” waaa waaaaaaa

Sometimes the truth hurts. The trail crew do an amazing job with the park. Everything else gets worse every year, making it less appealing to go. I just started going in 2018 and I’ve noticed the decline, don’t know if I’ll go back. Mainly because of the vibe of the village which used to be fun but is now more annoying. And because accomodation prices have gotten to the point where it’s just not worth it. Not when you have these other great options in the interior.

I just came back (actually last week from a trip to Whistler and the interior). Ivisited whistler in 2005 - 2006 -2007- 2008 -2009 - 2010 - 2016 and then 2022.
I could see the evolution of the bike park through the years.

First thing to come in my mind is the line up at the bottom. Between 2005 to 2010, is was very minimal to the point that we usually call the day off before the bike park closed at 8pm because of fatigue. In 2016, the line increased but still was very manageable. But in 2022, in 6 days in Whistler we had just 2 days of OK line (Thursday and Monday) but with no patterns showing really (we avoided the WE anyways). The line are just a little bit too long now. We spent the entire day in the park from 10am to 8pm without being really tired at the end, just because we did less laps than before because of the line.

For the maintenance of the trails itself. In Deep suffered from a lot of damage. The trail is way more difficult now than in 2005. Same with Goats Gully. Duffman is completely different at the end with very sketchy rocky sections now because of erosion. Apart from that, the trails are in good conditions compare to the early days. When we take in account the huge amount of traffic on the trails, the trail crew is doing a pretty good job to maintain the park in order. Even the brake bumps (excepts in some short section on blue velvet) were very minimal compare to a french standard for example.

But clearly the main problem now in Whistler is the line up. I'm wondering why they don't make the pedestrians going up on blackcomb, use the peak to peak and then make them going downhill with the Gondola. This way, you can have all the cabins of the gondola for riders going up instead of 1 cabin every 3. It could help a lot the Fitzimmons chair to adsorb the number of riders.
And also develop more the Garbo zone to help keep riders on top. Especially this year, with the closure of NoJoke and Freight train, there was a limited number of trails available at the top.

Entierement d'accord avec toi. I didn't get a season pass this year because creekside is closed. The lineup were crazy, especially during the weekend. Garbozone is destroyed and IMO it is even worse than Les Gets which is the worst bikepark in les portes du Soleil regarding trail maintenance.

The Whistler vibe is not the same anymore too, i rode there for 7 seasons and it is too expensive for what it is. Riding there including gas + pass + accommodation is 2-3 times more expensive than the European bikepark.

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 2:08 Quote
I guess the solution would be a "C-Line", an A-Line equivalent jump trail at Creekside that will really make people want to use the new gondola that is being put in this year.

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 9:27 Quote
th0m wrote:
I guess the solution would be a "C-Line", an A-Line equivalent jump trail at Creekside that will really make people want to use the new gondola that is being put in this year.

Yes it will be amazing, creekside is so convenient, easy to park, not busy and plenty of nice trails in good condition.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014606
Mobile Version of Website