The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 10:45 Quote
hpman83 wrote:
Ba1rog wrote:

Entierement d'accord avec toi. I didn't get a season pass this year because creekside is closed. The lineup were crazy, especially during the weekend. Garbozone is destroyed and IMO it is even worse than Les Gets which is the worst bikepark in les portes du Soleil regarding trail maintenance.

The Whistler vibe is not the same anymore too, i rode there for 7 seasons and it is too expensive for what it is. Riding there including gas + pass + accommodation is 2-3 times more expensive than the European bikepark.

I wouldn't say that the all Farbo zone is destroyed. Clearly In Deep, a section of Duffman and Goat's Gully have been through a lot of beating (and it was very wet at the time). But OSin, Noduff, captain safety were pretty much the same, Blue Velvet had some braking bumps in some sections but was not "destroyed". I don't know about the upper section of Freight train and NoJoke but the lower sections were in good conditions. And the fitzimmons zone was good. The tech trails like Joyride or Schleyer were pretty much identical than a decade ago.
Of course, the Europeans bike park are cheaper but we have to be honest here, the trails are not as technical / well made than in BC in general. I never found in France an equivalent of Whistler in term of variety / fun factor. When you are not a very good jumper, going to BC in a dream to be able to learn and do some safe jumps and drops. When in France, most of the jumps are not well designed, too easy or too hard (nothing in the middle).

And if I compare Whistler to Sun Peaks and Silverstar, for me the main difference is in the technical trails. Sun Peaks or Silverstar don't have the rock slab so the tech trails are for my point of view less exciting than Osin, Joyride and equivalents. For me, Whistler has just more variety in term of terrain than Sun Peaks and Silverstar.
But Silverstar still has some skinnies left and for me it's a big plus. And of course, Sun Peaks or Silverstar don't have the lineup like Whistler, so much appreciable.

Whistler is amazing for the jumps and trails are pretty safe. The best place to learn how to jump for beginners and way fewer crashes than in Europe where you see 2-3 helicopters per day. In Savoie we have Avoriaz that have tons of well build jumps and Chatel have gnarly one.Technical trails are meh compared to the Alps, Morgins, Champery, Verbier, Chatel, and Morzine freerides are way steeper and technical. I had more fun in Squamish/ North Van for steep gnarly trails.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 12:59 Quote
FYI TOTW is now open with exiting thru Creekside.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 13:48 Quote
How have the lineups been this week? Typical crankworx-levels or higher due to Creekside being unavailable?

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 17:20 Quote
Taz123 wrote:
How have the lineups been this week? Typical crankworx-levels or higher due to Creekside being unavailable?

Actually the last couple days have been weirdly quiet, way lower than most crankworx. But the weekend was busy and I'm sure this coming weekend will be too

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 3:04 Quote
alanabailey wrote:
DJTropical wrote:
Complete newbie here (first post) and have my first trip to Whistler planned for the 3rd/4th of September with my girlfriend. I have ridden before but not for a long time. I’m looking to find other novice/intermediate riders to join in the bike park on Sunday 4th. Any tips on how to find other people to ride with?
Join bike whistler Facebook group..
ask when your on the chair lift with other people.. my husband has had people follow him around before.

Do you mean this one? https://www.facebook.com/groups/725077067538732/
Not super active, is it? I expected more of an online community around the Mekka of mountain biking. Or is it just one of those situations that you just have to be there, on site?

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 3:25 Quote
DJTropical wrote:
Complete newbie here (first post) and have my first trip to Whistler planned for the 3rd/4th of September with my girlfriend. I have ridden before but not for a long time. I’m looking to find other novice/intermediate riders to join in the bike park on Sunday 4th. Any tips on how to find other people to ride with?

Just talk to the people on the lift with you, lots of nice people out there to show you around

Tell them its your first time there, ask what they are going to ride and ask if you can follow

Have fun, its a blast there

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 8:06 Quote
DJTropical wrote:

There's a very large facebook group called Vancouver Trail Shredders. It caters to a wide range of riders and there's constantly people posting on there about meeting up in Whistler. That might be your best bet.

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 9:27 Quote
Hey guys. In Whistler without a vehicle this week and would like to do day of riding in Squamish. Having trouble getting a straight answer as to whether there are shuttles/transit that will go between the two and allow bikes?
Called SkyLynx and he told me that the bikes should be in bike bags or boxes and that they don't have racks but the girl at the Visitor Centre said they do have racks?
I don't think there is a transit bus betwee the two?
Anyone have experience or insight

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 11:29 Quote
slish wrote:
Hey guys. In Whistler without a vehicle this week and would like to do day of riding in Squamish. Having trouble getting a straight answer as to whether there are shuttles/transit that will go between the two and allow bikes?
Called SkyLynx and he told me that the bikes should be in bike bags or boxes and that they don't have racks but the girl at the Visitor Centre said they do have racks?
I don't think there is a transit bus betwee the two?
Anyone have experience or insight

No BC transit currently between Whistler and Squamish. Only charter and tourist bus lines that take luggage etc under the bus, and no bike racks. So hence the bike box/bag comment.
There is a BC transit commuter bus to Pemberton in the morning and afternoon that have bike racks and can accommodate. We have good riding here too.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 13:45 Quote
Hi guys looking for some advice.

I am going to whistler next week and I am looking for a decent hostel to stay in which is bike friendly.

I was tempted by the pod hotel, but there is a surcharge for bike storage of $15 a night.

Where else would people recommend? - budget more on the cheaper side. Happy to pay a bit more to be in a more bike friendly accom.

Thanks!

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 14:22 Quote
flowerman7 wrote:
Hi guys looking for some advice.

I am going to whistler next week and I am looking for a decent hostel to stay in which is bike friendly.

I was tempted by the pod hotel, but there is a surcharge for bike storage of $15 a night.

Where else would people recommend? - budget more on the cheaper side. Happy to pay a bit more to be in a more bike friendly accom.

Thanks!
Aava - has secure bike storage over shared bike locker storage

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 15:51 Quote
Pangea pod is not to bad for the price, but to stay a full week it might be hard. Check on rbrb!

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 16:05 Quote
I've never had issues with the storage at the Whistler Lodge Hostel year after year - but it's a sea can that is locked. Not sure of your comfort level with that.

The HI hostel in Function also has a decent storage room, inside the building. Probably a bit more secure but staying at WLH is way nicer.

You can lock your bike up within either for additional security.

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 12:57 Quote
Why’d they open full Freight Train and now it’s closed again? I’m headed up there next week. Will it be open?

Posted: Aug 26, 2022 at 8:50 Quote
I'm going to find it hard to believe that they finish the Creekside Gondola and Big Red chairlifts this year after seeing the status of both these lifts when I was there last week. They look hardly done.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018182
Mobile Version of Website