The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Sep 29, 2022 at 9:42 Quote
charmingbob wrote:
The chair at Silver star is a 6 pack in the winter, and in the summer it has 4 tray style racks. Maybe they will just keep it to 4 bikes and not bother hanging bikes anymore?

That’s what I am thinking.

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2022 at 9:51 Quote
kingtut87 wrote:
I reckon it'll be 4 bikes per chair, but they'll load every chair. Likely bike carriers on the backs of the chair. I think that's the only way to double capacity and still have sensible loading and unloading

I read that as doubling winter capacity, not necessarily the plan for summer?

Posted: Sep 29, 2022 at 10:28 Quote
I'm curious what trails will be closed/re-routed while they work on the lift?

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2022 at 10:43 Quote
charmingbob wrote:
The chair at Silver star is a 6 pack in the winter, and in the summer it has 4 tray style racks. Maybe they will just keep it to 4 bikes and not bother hanging bikes anymore?

Same at Mt Washington. I feel like the speed difference between the loading unloading and the under way chair is much higher as well. It is much easier to load the Mt Washington Eagle Express Chair than the Fitz, but the chair goes faster overall up the hill.

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2022 at 11:14 Quote
JHollowell wrote:
I'm curious what trails will be closed/re-routed while they work on the lift?

I'm assuming it'll need new towers put in, so that'll effect anything under the lift line, which is half of the fitz zone.

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2022 at 12:01 Quote
kingtut87 wrote:
I reckon it'll be 4 bikes per chair, but they'll load every chair. Likely bike carriers on the backs of the chair. I think that's the only way to double capacity and still have sensible loading and unloading

There are setups like this in Europe right? Tried googling to find examples but couldn't. An 8-pack chair is super wide so fitting 4 vertical wheel basket type carriers shouldn't be an issue.

What will be an issue is guests, especially tourists with 40lbs rental DH bikes, trying to lift bikes up above themselves into a basket style rack. Then again they manage to goof up the tray style ones often enough anyway. With new base/top stations, I'm guessing they will engineer in nice big loading/unloading zones since summer capacity has to be a big focus here.

Very good thing in the long run for the bike park, with no real upside for winter other than removing the eyesore of massive village lift lines and dumping 1,000+ people into Garbo on powder days haha.

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 12:05 Quote
Why do you guys all assume they will need to reinvent the wheel for loading bikes? I see no reason why it couldn't take 6 or 7 bikes in the same exact fashion that the current trays allow 3. Add a hook on the side like now and you have 7 or 8 bikes per chair.

They claim 75% additional upload capacity for summer so that says 7 bikes to a chair by virtue of simple math.

Why in tarnation would they suddenly go back to the dark ages of putting bikes behind the chair people ride on? Madness, and will not happen.

The new style lifts also spend a bit more time in the terminal. It'll take getting used to and I'm sure folks will stuff it up just like they do now, but it's not rocket science.

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 12:17 Quote
nickel wrote:
Why in tarnation would they suddenly go back to the dark ages of putting bikes behind the chair people ride on? Madness, and will not happen.

To be fair, the idea is that kind could double lift capacity if there's 4 people and bikes to a chair. And you load the bikes on the chair ahead of you, not the same chair you ride. Big white has these, but only 2 per chair. And their front wheel holders don't allow for big mud guards.

Tray style is the easiest and fit everything out there except for some adaptive bikes, big tray rack would probably be the way to go, along with some good markings or something to make sure people are lined up and ready to load in the right spot.

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 12:55 Quote
kingtut87 wrote:
I was thinking that too. Some California BP do that. The one problem is weight capacity.

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 14:03 Quote
nickel wrote:
Why do you guys all assume they will need to reinvent the wheel for loading bikes? I see no reason why it couldn't take 6 or 7 bikes in the same exact fashion that the current trays allow 3. Add a hook on the side like now and you have 7 or 8 bikes per chair.

They claim 75% additional upload capacity for summer so that says 7 bikes to a chair by virtue of simple math.

The new style lifts also spend a bit more time in the terminal. It'll take getting used to and I'm sure folks will stuff it up just like they do now, but it's not rocket science.
Because people are stupid.
People have a hard time counting to more than the number of fingers on one hand.
And lots struggle enough with 3 on the rack with tangled handle bars and all sorts going on. 6 on a rack seems like it's asking for trouble to me. But I'm not a lift engineer or a lifty.

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 16:16 Quote
kingtut87 wrote:
nickel wrote:

People have a hard time counting to more than the number of fingers on one hand.
And lots struggle enough with 3 on the rack with tangled handle bars and all sorts going on. 6 on a rack seems like it's asking for trouble to me. But I'm not a lift engineer or a lifty.
the creekside racks were 6

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 21:46 Quote
You sure? Only 4 as far as I can remember.

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2022 at 9:20 Quote
kingtut87 wrote:
You sure? Only 4 as far as I can remember.

4 bikes...maybe 6 skis/boards?

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2022 at 23:56 Quote
todayisthegreatest wrote:
kingtut87 wrote:
nickel wrote:

the creekside racks were 6

I think you may have just proved his point...

The creekside racks held 4.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016302
Mobile Version of Website