The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Dec 7, 2022 at 14:34 Quote
I go to Whistler every summer for a week and haven't even bothered with the park for the past 4 seasons. My last park day was a random Wednesday and lineups were an hour long and the jump trails were so rammed with people that it wasn't fun. The riding outside the park is great and zero crowds. Or head to Squamish and Pemberton while you're at it.

I live in Kamloops and Sun peaks is getting better every year. Not much else to ride up there outside of the altitude xc backcountry loop and the one trail on Morrissey. So have to drive down into Kamloops and hour away for harper/pineview/ranch/etc.

Posted: Dec 7, 2022 at 16:02 Quote
i'll be hitting sun-peaks and silverstar this summer.

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2023 at 6:45 Quote
A small mountain in the east has installed last summer an 8 place chair from Doppelmayr and uses it for biking... here is the set up:

https://www.loonmtn.com/kanc-8/bike-laps-just-got-50-faster-may-2022

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2023 at 6:47 Quote
A small mountain in the east has installed last summer an 8 place chair from Doppelmayr and uses it for cycling... here is the set up

https://www.loonmtn.com/kanc-8/bike-laps-just-got-50-faster-may-2022

Posted: Jan 22, 2023 at 21:02 Quote
Whistler for 3-4 days in August (I'm from the Philippines) and was wondering about a few things:

• Should I bring my bike or should I rent? (I have an old 2018 Trek Slash)
• Any other places to go and ride? (I saw some positive posts about Sun Peaks so I might check that out too)
• Where is a good place to stay that's not too expensive and nice enough for a non-riding wife to not get bored in?

Thanks in advance!

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2023 at 6:01 Quote
I have already booked flights and accommodation so for me there is no backing out now. Is it usually more crowded in the morning or in the afternoon?

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 10:50 Quote
Verbl-Kint wrote:
Whistler for 3-4 days in August (I'm from the Philippines) and was wondering about a few things:

• Any other places to go and ride? (I saw some positive posts about Sun Peaks so I might check that out too)
• Where is a good place to stay that's not too expensive and nice enough for a non-riding wife to not get bored in?

Thanks in advance!

Depends on what exactly you're looking for, but your Slash should be fine on just about everything. A DH bike will be nicer on some trails (depending on what you're looking for), but that's to be expected. Lots of people also ride the park on shorter travel bikes. Keep in mind that rentals in the village run about $150/day, and that riding the park can be rough on your bike, and make your own decision.

For 3 or 4 days, I would suggest staying close to Whistler. There is a lifetime of trails in the park, in the valley, and nearby in Squamish, Pemberton and North Van. Not enough reason to drive 5 hours to Sun Peaks. Especially if your wife is a non-rider, there is much more to see and do in Whistler (or Van) than say, Sun Peaks.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 11:52 Quote
Verbl-Kint wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I'd agree that staying closer to Whistler is a better bet - sunpeaks is a pretty big drive from the Whistler area and won't have as much to do. Whistler has so much stuff for non-riders, can head to lots of lakes, hiking, walks, shopping, spa, etc. You will want more time in the Whistler valley and the north van area most likely as it is, 3-4 days is not enough to see it all! You could also head to the sunshine coast if you really wanted to go somewhere different. Hard to find somewhere not too expensive to stay, but Whistler will be the most expensive.

Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 13:52 Quote
mikaeljc wrote:
I have already booked flights and accommodation so for me there is no backing out now. Is it usually more crowded in the morning or in the afternoon?
All day, calms around 3-4 a bit and into the evening when it closes.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 13:52 Quote
Verbl-Kint wrote:
Sign up for emails from the local hotels. They often have sales that they advertise via e-mail. For example, the Sundial Hotel often has a spring sale of 30% off.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 13:54 Quote
alanabailey wrote:
mikaeljc wrote:

The main chain is being replaced this year so it will likely be busy all day. Hate to be the bearer of bad news. But there are endless amazing trails outside the park.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 14:13 Quote
alanabailey wrote:
mikaeljc wrote:

Last summer when I visited there was a rush at 4pm. I'm told that it was when the twilight pass went into effect, and a lot of the locals would show up for after-work riding. I was only there for less than a week total so maybe it wasn't that way every day but only while I was there.

We'd start our day right at opening and get in a few turns before the lift line started to build up. The lift would start loading about 15 minutes before the official opening time so if you're all ready to go then you may as well head to the lift.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 15:38 Quote
One option for people who's accoms are not locked in, look at Creekside for summer 2023. You can get up to garbo and village gondola midstation and avoid the surely insane village gondola base lineups for at least part of the day. I don't think WB has published full plans yet, but wouldn't be surprised to see bikes on the Red chair again like a few years back (although with the new 6 pack they'd need new carriers I guess?).

Also pretty sure there's been a bunch of new trail building going on in the Creekside zone last year during lift construction so hopefully more stuff to ride.

You could then hit the Fitz stuff end of day when hopefully lines have died down/day trippers have packed it in back to Vancouver.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 15:41 Quote
gramboh wrote:
One option for people who's accoms are not locked in, look at Creekside for summer 2023. You can get up to garbo and village gondola midstation and avoid the surely insane village gondola base lineups for at least part of the day. I don't think WB has published full plans yet, but wouldn't be surprised to see bikes on the Red chair again like a few years back (although with the new 6 pack they'd need new carriers I guess?).

Also pretty sure there's been a bunch of new trail building going on in the Creekside zone last year during lift construction so hopefully more stuff to ride.

You could then hit the Fitz stuff end of day when hopefully lines have died down/day trippers have packed it in back to Vancouver.

im kind of watching this closely....i am really itching to get back out there this year.

Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 16:36 Quote
Anyone know when opening day is, is it usually May two four or the weekend before? And will Creekside be open for opening weekend or does it usually open later? Cheers Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.032655
Mobile Version of Website