The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 17:47 Quote
alanabailey wrote:
mikaeljc wrote:
I have already booked flights and accommodation so for me there is no backing out now. Is it usually more crowded in the morning or in the afternoon?
All day, calms around 3-4 a bit and into the evening when it closes.

Last couple seasons the park is busiest around 5 when twilight passes kick in, especially in the early part of the year

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 17:49 Quote
kyleluvsdh wrote:
Anyone know when opening day is? And will Creekside be open for opening weekend or does it usually open later? Cheers Smile
opening will most likely be on or around may 17th. Creekside opens a month or so later because the upper garbanzo trails have to clear

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 19:16 Quote
kyleluvsdh wrote:
Anyone know when opening day is? And will Creekside be open for opening weekend or does it usually open later? Cheers Smile
usually may twofour

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2023 at 1:48 Quote
Has anyone heard how they intend to run Crankworx with the Fitz chair closed and a construction zone where the Boneyard is usually located? It seems like end of July is probably going to be a time to avoid this year.

And if the Creekside gondola construction is anything to go by, I can’t really imagine that trails under the chair are going to be open which would affect a significant part of the Fitz trails ( e.g. Schleyer, Joyride, Canadian Open, at least the start of A-Line,…)

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2023 at 7:40 Quote
kyleluvsdh wrote:
Anyone know when opening day is, is it usually May two four or the weekend before? And will Creekside be open for opening weekend or does it usually open later? Cheers Smile

just before Canada day last year. suspect sameish this year unless whistler is having a snow shortage

Posted: Feb 16, 2023 at 8:07 Quote
blamalamadingdong wrote:
gramboh wrote:
One option for people who's accoms are not locked in, look at Creekside for summer 2023. You can get up to garbo and village gondola midstation and avoid the surely insane village gondola base lineups for at least part of the day. I don't think WB has published full plans yet, but wouldn't be surprised to see bikes on the Red chair again like a few years back (although with the new 6 pack they'd need new carriers I guess?).

Also pretty sure there's been a bunch of new trail building going on in the Creekside zone last year during lift construction so hopefully more stuff to ride.

You could then hit the Fitz stuff end of day when hopefully lines have died down/day trippers have packed it in back to Vancouver.

im kind of watching this closely....i am really itching to get back out there this year.

I'm really hoping they use the Big Red Chair and take the carriers off the Fitz and ship them up there. Using the Big Red will open up a lot of possibilities on that side of the mountain directly from Creekside.(Miss Fire/ Mid Guard/ FT/OS). Those are some long ass runs from the top to bottom of Creekside. Word on the street is that they are building/built a jump line on Creekside similar to Aline/Bline. No clue if that is true of not.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2023 at 10:15 Quote
kyleluvsdh wrote:
Anyone know when opening day is, is it usually May two four or the weekend before? And will Creekside be open for opening weekend or does it usually open later? Cheers Smile

Usually opens the May Long weekend, which is I think the 24th this year? Not sure about creekside, but would like its a bit later as it goes higher up... don't know though!

Posted: Feb 16, 2023 at 10:59 Quote
Thanks everyone for for info! Smile

Posted: Feb 16, 2023 at 13:02 Quote
Creekside takes longer to dry out in the spring so it will probably be hard to predict an opening.

Hoping some more info on the six new Creekside trails is shared. The work being done was noticeable last year when riding down from TOW.

I've been wondering if Crankworx could move to Creekside this year. They just announced that the 1199 trail will be used for the DH. Hard to picture Joyride with lift construction going on. That said my understanding is that the new fitz chair isn't a sure thing yet as in waiting for approval.

Posted: Feb 16, 2023 at 18:23 Quote
The Joyride contestants catch rides up to the top of the course with shuttle trucks, so the Fitz being down won't be an issue. Hopefully there will be enough room to have the contest.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2023 at 23:17 Quote
When are the prices for lift tickets released usually?

O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2023 at 4:40 Quote
Fitz Chair replacement is 100% a go.
My sources say that they're going to start plowing the road at the bottom of Whistler and working on the lift replacement near the end of March.

Posted: Feb 17, 2023 at 7:28 Quote
mikaeljc wrote:
When are the prices for lift tickets released usually?
late March early april

Posted: Feb 17, 2023 at 12:26 Quote
Clownshoe wrote:
Fitz Chair replacement is 100% a go.
My sources say that they're going to start plowing the road at the bottom of Whistler and working on the lift replacement near the end of March.

Good to hear. I'm optimistic that they'll be able to get quite a bit done during the shoulder season.

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2023 at 13:56 Quote
Any recs on best time to visit this summer or better to sit this year out? We booked for late June; not knowing about the Fitz renovations. Now wondering if we should wait til later in the summer to visit, hoping that the project will be completed and upper trails more thawed out, or stick with our current reservations. Will garbanzo and creek side be rideable late June? Posting from California, so not sure if Whistler is receiving the record snowfall that we are here.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016284
Mobile Version of Website