The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Author Message
O+
Posted: Dec 11, 2023 at 16:34 Quote
Looking at booking a trip to Whistler this summer. My options are either the week prior to Crankworx or the week after. Just wondering what people's thoughts are, I'm worried the week prior everything will be closed but if I wait to the week after everything will be chewed up.

O+
Posted: Dec 11, 2023 at 19:08 Quote
Barks82 wrote:
Looking at booking a trip to Whistler this summer. My options are either the week prior to Crankworx or the week after. Just wondering what people's thoughts are, I'm worried the week prior everything will be closed but if I wait to the week after everything will be chewed up.
best is away from crankworx for best conditions. been the week after a few times showed up the day of slopestyle and watched it, nasty conditions though

Posted: Dec 11, 2023 at 19:24 Quote
If I had to choose between the 2 options, I would choose the week before. In my experience, most trails have been open before Crankworx starts. The trails are somewhat chewed up after Crankworx. At least it's been moved to July from August, so conditions generally should be better (not as dry).

Posted: Dec 12, 2023 at 3:21 Quote
Obviously, I would choose the week prior.

Posted: Dec 12, 2023 at 16:10 Quote
almost everythings is open during crankworks .. so id go before for best trail condition!

Posted: Dec 13, 2023 at 9:53 Quote
Barks82 wrote:
Looking at booking a trip to Whistler this summer. My options are either the week prior to Crankworx or the week after. Just wondering what people's thoughts are, I'm worried the week prior everything will be closed but if I wait to the week after everything will be chewed up.
Week prior!! Trails in better condition.

Posted: Dec 16, 2023 at 13:20 Quote
Hilarious New Whistler Video!
Drool Helmet Beer Salute

Posted: Jan 4, 2024 at 7:25 Quote
Planning to be in Whistler for whole July. Can anyone tell how the park operates during Crankworx? I thought that contest uses only specially prepared lines under Fitz. I suggest that lower trails like schlayer, canadian open or a-line will be closed and/or chewed up. Is it possible to move to upper trails (una moss, freightrain, 7year war) or creekside zone?
I mean, how busy the park becomes? Maybe it can happen that riding will not be comfortable that week and it's better to find different activities

Posted: Jan 9, 2024 at 17:55 Quote
Chuvak wrote:
Planning to be in Whistler for whole July. Can anyone tell how the park operates during Crankworx? I thought that contest uses only specially prepared lines under Fitz. I suggest that lower trails like schlayer, canadian open or a-line will be closed and/or chewed up. Is it possible to move to upper trails (una moss, freightrain, 7year war) or creekside zone?
I mean, how busy the park becomes? Maybe it can happen that riding will not be comfortable that week and it's better to find different activities
They do close some trails during Crankworx, it depends what days you are there. Under the Fitzsimmons lift near the bottom, generally the only trails that would be closed are the Boneyard & Family Cross. There are multiple races during Crankworx that result in varying trails being closed. You could easily move to the Garbanzo zone & ride there. Lots of trail choices there, plus you can ride down to Creekside. In the past they held Crankworx in August, which chewed up the trails more because it is hotter & drier in August. It has been moved to July, so the trails will be in slightly better shape.

Posted: Jan 21, 2024 at 3:33 Quote
Thanks for clearing this up

Posted: Jan 23, 2024 at 8:52 Quote
Nonsmoker wrote:
Chuvak wrote:
Planning to be in Whistler for whole July. Can anyone tell how the park operates during Crankworx? I thought that contest uses only specially prepared lines under Fitz. I suggest that lower trails like schlayer, canadian open or a-line will be closed and/or chewed up. Is it possible to move to upper trails (una moss, freightrain, 7year war) or creekside zone?
I mean, how busy the park becomes? Maybe it can happen that riding will not be comfortable that week and it's better to find different activities
They do close some trails during Crankworx, it depends what days you are there. Under the Fitzsimmons lift near the bottom, generally the only trails that would be closed are the Boneyard & Family Cross. There are multiple races during Crankworx that result in varying trails being closed. You could easily move to the Garbanzo zone & ride there. Lots of trail choices there, plus you can ride down to Creekside. In the past they held Crankworx in August, which chewed up the trails more because it is hotter & drier in August. It has been moved to July, so the trails will be in slightly better shape.
I've debated doing my yearly Whistler trip during Crankworx. Is it really that bad to be there then? Is it still fun even thosugh the trails are chewed up?

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2024 at 10:11 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
Nonsmoker wrote:
Chuvak wrote:
Planning to be in Whistler for whole July. Can anyone tell how the park operates during Crankworx? I thought that contest uses only specially prepared lines under Fitz. I suggest that lower trails like schlayer, canadian open or a-line will be closed and/or chewed up. Is it possible to move to upper trails (una moss, freightrain, 7year war) or creekside zone?
I mean, how busy the park becomes? Maybe it can happen that riding will not be comfortable that week and it's better to find different activities
They do close some trails during Crankworx, it depends what days you are there. Under the Fitzsimmons lift near the bottom, generally the only trails that would be closed are the Boneyard & Family Cross. There are multiple races during Crankworx that result in varying trails being closed. You could easily move to the Garbanzo zone & ride there. Lots of trail choices there, plus you can ride down to Creekside. In the past they held Crankworx in August, which chewed up the trails more because it is hotter & drier in August. It has been moved to July, so the trails will be in slightly better shape.
I've debated doing my yearly Whistler trip during Crankworx. Is it really that bad to be there then? Is it still fun even thosugh the trails are chewed up?

Crankworx is tons of fun! I've never tried to ride during that time though, but everything looks quite busy. You can definitely just ride outside the park but not sure if that's what you're there for.

Posted: Jan 25, 2024 at 8:46 Quote
tvan5 wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
Nonsmoker wrote:

They do close some trails during Crankworx, it depends what days you are there. Under the Fitzsimmons lift near the bottom, generally the only trails that would be closed are the Boneyard & Family Cross. There are multiple races during Crankworx that result in varying trails being closed. You could easily move to the Garbanzo zone & ride there. Lots of trail choices there, plus you can ride down to Creekside. In the past they held Crankworx in August, which chewed up the trails more because it is hotter & drier in August. It has been moved to July, so the trails will be in slightly better shape.
I've debated doing my yearly Whistler trip during Crankworx. Is it really that bad to be there then? Is it still fun even thosugh the trails are chewed up?

Crankworx is tons of fun! I've never tried to ride during that time though, but everything looks quite busy. You can definitely just ride outside the park but not sure if that's what you're there for.
I wonder if it's going to be less busy feeling because the Fitz update.

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2024 at 21:03 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
tvan5 wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
I've debated doing my yearly Whistler trip during Crankworx. Is it really that bad to be there then? Is it still fun even thosugh the trails are chewed up?

Crankworx is tons of fun! I've never tried to ride during that time though, but everything looks quite busy. You can definitely just ride outside the park but not sure if that's what you're there for.
I wonder if it's going to be less busy feeling because the Fitz update.

Would hope so, will be a nice addition especially after the last few years being so busy.


 


Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.067197
Mobile Version of Website