The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2024 at 8:42 Quote
anyone ride the new fitz 8 seater? i swear the cable speed feels slower. might just be how smooth it is or how big it is

Posted: Feb 9, 2024 at 8:50 Quote
todayisthegreatest wrote:
anyone ride the new fitz 8 seater? i swear the cable speed feels slower. might just be how smooth it is or how big it is
I haven’t been to Whistler in the Winter but it wouldn’t be surprised if they ran it a little slower. At least around the bull wheels because of how many people need to get on.

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2024 at 13:07 Quote
todayisthegreatest wrote:

Same cable speed as old one

Posted: Feb 26, 2024 at 4:18 Quote
Hey, I´m from Germany and I´m planing to do a year abroad in Canada,specifically in BC. I will have completed the high school (German High School so Abitur). I would love to work in something Bike related, like in a workshop or in Trail Maintenance/ Service. Can you give me some advice how to get into it. So were should I look/ research, which options do I have for an internship or similar?

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2024 at 8:05 Quote
OskLening wrote:
Hey, I´m from Germany and I´m planing to do a year abroad in Canada,specifically in BC. I will have completed the high school (German High School so Abitur). I would love to work in something Bike related, like in a workshop or in Trail Maintenance/ Service. Can you give me some advice how to get into it. So were should I look/ research, which options do I have for an internship or similar?

Do you have any experience? Seems like most bike shops here in the sea to sky are hiring, might be tough without experience. Not as tough as finding a place to live though!

Posted: Feb 27, 2024 at 9:59 Quote
Do you have any experience? Seems like most bike shops here in the sea to sky are hiring, might be tough without experience. Not as tough as finding a place to live though![/Quote]

So i have took an internship in a bike manufacture, I know a lot basic, because I work on my own bike, but I don't have any real experience. I'm interested in working in Bike park, like trail maintenance or just in a Cafe near a park. Here I have a lot experience, because I'm working in a cafe and this for about 6 years.
But do you know, if there are options for internships or similar?

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2024 at 10:45 Quote
OskLening wrote:
Do you have any experience? Seems like most bike shops here in the sea to sky are hiring, might be tough without experience. Not as tough as finding a place to live though!

So i have took an internship in a bike manufacture, I know a lot basic, because I work on my own bike, but I don't have any real experience. I'm interested in working in Bike park, like trail maintenance or just in a Cafe near a park. Here I have a lot experience, because I'm working in a cafe and this for about 6 years.
But do you know, if there are options for internships or similar?[/Quote]

Work arrangements here are generally much less formal than in western Europe (my parents are both euro immigrants and I’ve spent tons of time there). You probably have enough experience to get an entry level job at shop. Bike park and trail maintenance might be a bit trickier as there just aren’t that many jobs. It’s usually a lot easier to find a job here by walking into a shop or cafe, introducing yourself and providing a resume.

Beware that the costs of renting are astronomical, and even just finding a place is extremely difficult pretty much everywhere in BC that has decent riding. Lots of places in whistler provide staff accommodation It’s much, much easier to find a place when you are here. Lots of people just book a hostel or Airbnb for a few weeks for when they arrive, and use that time to sort out work and accommodations.

Posted: Feb 27, 2024 at 11:31 Quote
Thanks very much do you have an idea were I can research more or were I can get more information?

Posted: Feb 27, 2024 at 13:48 Quote
OskLening wrote:
Thanks very much do you have an idea were I can research more or were I can get more information?
I would use LinkedIn personally.

Posted: Feb 28, 2024 at 17:46 Quote
OskLening wrote:

Before you commit to all this, will you have an appropriate Visa to work here ?

You cannot turn up in Canada and get a work permit while here, it has to be arranged before you arrive.

Canadians have a reputation of being friendly, but you do not want to piss off the border agents at the airport.

Posted: Feb 29, 2024 at 10:06 Quote
Was thinking about the same. Going to Whistler for 45 days vacation this summer and planning to figure out how prices and social climate have changed from 2019. I was considering about bike mechanic job as I'm a high qualified mechanic with huge experience (have been running my own workshop as a side project in addition to my primary job for 9 years) . As I know, tourist visa can be swapped to working visa right within Canada If you get a job offer with LMIA.

Posted: Feb 29, 2024 at 11:29 Quote
Thanks for all the good advice, I´m not sure when I will go, but I will be checking all the visa and work permit related things. Does anyone know, if there are things like shared apartments for low budget students? If so, where would I get access to offerings?

O+
Posted: Feb 29, 2024 at 11:50 Quote
OskLening wrote:
Thanks for all the good advice, I´m not sure when I will go, but I will be checking all the visa and work permit related things. Does anyone know, if there are things like shared apartments for low budget students? If so, where would I get access to offerings?

Whistler (and Squamish and Vancouver) has incredible riding, but is also very expensive. It's very hard to make life there inexpensive or low budget. But tons of people work there every summer and make it work, so it's definitely possible. But keep an open mind for other quieter locations too, like Cumberland, Kamloops, Nelson or Fernie.

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2024 at 6:54 Quote
OskLening wrote:

If you have a student visa you will also have the right to work. There used to be restrictions on hours worked but I’m not even sure there is anymore.

Posted: Mar 1, 2024 at 10:18 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
OskLening wrote:

Whistler (and Squamish and Vancouver) has incredible riding, but is also very expensive. It's very hard to make life there inexpensive or low budget. But tons of people work there every summer and make it work, so it's definitely possible. But keep an open mind for other quieter locations too, like Cumberland, Kamloops, Nelson or Fernie.
Is there not decently priced housing in Richmond anymore?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.227565
Mobile Version of Website