Shooting HD

PB Forum :: Biking Videos
Shooting HD
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 1, 2008 at 3:25 Quote
So for my major production this year I'm making a sweet doco on canberra's riding scene and in particular its trails.

My teacher says she might be able to get hold of a HD camera for me to use.

up to this point I have only shot SD and want to know if there's anything to look out for what changing up to HD

any help would be appreciated as I don't want to waste my time getting hold of a camera and shooting HD and then have to drop back to SD as happened to a friend.

cheers, Danny

Posted: May 1, 2008 at 4:59 Quote
getafully wrote:
So for my major production this year I'm making a sweet doco on canberra's riding scene and in particular its trails.

My teacher says she might be able to get hold of a HD camera for me to use.

up to this point I have only shot SD and want to know if there's anything to look out for what changing up to HD

any help would be appreciated as I don't want to waste my time getting hold of a camera and shooting HD and then have to drop back to SD as happened to a friend.

cheers, Danny

The big thing to make sure of is your computer's capacity to handle editing HD footage. Editing HD can bog down your computer big time, especially during rendering. Depending on the type of camera you are shooting, the actual HD format you'll be using in the editing software can vary from camera to camera, so make sure the editing program you are using can accept that HD format. When I upgraded to a HD Sony camera, my version of Final Cut Pro did not accept the Sony HDV format at the time, requiring me to downconvert to SD until I upgraded to Final Cut Studio 2.

That being said, downconverting to SD from HD is still not that bad, the image quality is far superior to something shot in SD to begin with. Just something to keep in mind.

Posted: May 1, 2008 at 14:17 Quote
thanks,

I recently uprgraded to Adoble suite cs3 which has the newest version of premiere and got a new computer too.

so it should be all good Cool

how big are the HD files, as in gigs per minute?

Posted: May 1, 2008 at 16:18 Quote
you looking at about 200-300mb per minute of 1080i HDV footage.

and about 100-200mb per minute for 720p HDv footage

i'd say you should have at least 250 gbs of free storage space for your footage

Posted: May 2, 2008 at 2:39 Quote
alrighty then,

Ive got 400gig free at the mo so i should be right

now i just have to organise the content...

Posted: May 2, 2008 at 9:31 Quote
Actually, what you reallyneed to be careful with is focusing correctly. With SD there is a tad bit more room for slop because of a lower resolution/detail level, but when you start shooting HD, you have to be spot on every time. Its the same way with film. And if you end up using a sony camera, dont use the 24p modes, because they suck so much on Sony cameras other then the Cinealtas.

Good luck!

Posted: May 2, 2008 at 14:42 Quote
focus: check

I shot film last term so I should be good, I'll just give it a little more room just to be safe

Posted: Jul 13, 2008 at 8:22 Quote
i've got a dell 9100 with 1gb of ram, 3.2ghz, wil that be enough? (its an old laptop)

Posted: Jul 13, 2008 at 22:31 Quote
You got to make sure you upload it right....
I got a brandnew Full HD camera and i thought i couldnt film in
full HD Because formats were all wrong but ended up i have to upload them
in IMovie. To use the clips for FCP

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 11:01 Quote
Kane-Chenoweth wrote:
You got to make sure you upload it right....
I got a brandnew Full HD camera and i thought i couldnt film in
full HD Because formats were all wrong but ended up i have to upload them
in IMovie. To use the clips for FCP

What kind of camera are you using? because i highly doubt your shooting full hd.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009968
Mobile Version of Website