SILVER STAR thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
SILVER STAR thread
Posted: Aug 27, 2014 at 21:09 Quote
If you've ever been to the first aid station, you'll know that they ask you exactly where you were riding and what you were doing.

You can bet that if too many riders get hurt on a particular feature or section of trail, it will be "fixed".

Over time that will result in everything eventually getting easier/safer.

However, I was thinking about the Rockstar getting easier comment. I've ridden that trail for 10 years now and other than the reroute a couple years ago to avoid the boggy part it hasn't changed much. I also think it is way easier now than before, but I think that is just because I am a better rider. As the regulars improve and ride each trail countless times over the years, things are going to seem easier, even if they are not.

Posted: Aug 27, 2014 at 21:28 Quote
it-is-what-it-is wrote:
If you've ever been to the first aid station, you'll know that they ask you exactly where you were riding and what you were doing.

You can bet that if too many riders get hurt on a particular feature or section of trail, it will be "fixed".

However, I was thinking about the Rockstar getting easier comment. I've ridden that trail for 10 years now and other than the reroute a couple years ago to avoid the boggy part it hasn't changed much. I also think it is way easier now than before, but I think that is just because I am a better rider. As the regulars improve and ride each trail countless times over the years, things are going to seem easier, even if they are not.

Blasphemy! No proper reason and logic is allowed in this thread. It must be dummed down because the loudest says it is.

Posted: Aug 27, 2014 at 21:51 Quote
it-is-what-it-is wrote:

Also by the last bridge. you never used to have to pedal that hard to get over it. the small senders before the field also, the carpet jump, the small table where the camera is. although i cant remember what was in these places to begin with. they weren;t major changes. That re-route was kind of necessary. i don't mind that new section now that they made the berm bigger.

btw: a-line has gotten bigger over time not smaller it seems.

i also get what your saying about taking things out because of injury but you got to wonder how they keep statistics. should the person of been on there? how many people went over successfully?... etc. that drop on downtown was halarious. you would come down there sometimes and a bunch of guys would be standing there watching people hit it. thats kind of the halmark of something great in MTB. but back on to my point. most parks when they take something out they add something. for example: glc drops in whistler. they watered that down to non-existant and then changed it to a hip instead of a drop. the trade of was the drops on clown shoes and fade to black. but you guys are right.. its a business. and that is why i am posting. they dont know if someone doesn't say something. i posted this in another section but every thing in life needs its critics. it pushes us to strive for better.

Posted: Aug 28, 2014 at 8:11 Quote
constructive criticism is good
so is consumer feedback
last year, no seasons pass for me
this year, a pass but not really justified really
next year, no pass
same for herself

more single track DH trails required to freshen things up, Flow/Downtown fast techy sort of flowy rooty rocky challenging progressive stuff

just my 2c as a consumer
no bitching, I love SS and appreciate the resort and understand it has business challenges and needs new riders to keep things fresh

but...is my custom, my $, and my riding needs valued?

Posted: Aug 28, 2014 at 20:12 Quote
Since a comparison to whistler has been made, what I notice is that when I ride there a couple days (usually one trip each summer) I get faster and more confident. Everything is so fast and well designed. You quickly realize that the faster you go the better. You feel like a star after a couple days.

It doesn't happen the same way at the Star. I always fear overshooting things, and as a result I sometimes undershoot. Even the tech trails don't flow the same way. Angry pirate is so much more fun to ride than Flow for example.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Star and am grateful it is close by and they are increasing trails, and the shorter lift lines are very nice, but it just doesn't get you going like Whistler.

Posted: Aug 28, 2014 at 21:24 Quote
nato wrote:
thereisnospoon wrote:
I've noticed the same on Rock Star and Double Dog over the last couple of years. stunts taken out and features dumbed down. possibly an effort to make the hill more noob friendly to increase traffic? insurance reasons?
Just cause a line is dumbed down doesn't mean you have the to take the easiest route.
You can add fun to any trail by looking for more challenging lines, angles, transitions, etc.
The ride is what you make of it.
^This. Spot on Nato. Anyone that gets bored at the Star - or on their local trails - is locked into tunnel vision. Use your imagination a bit... Think you have everything dialed? Turn the double into a triple. Hit it 2x as fast and learn how to scrub (legitimately). Manual everything. Learn a trick or 10. Take off your drivetrain. Wear a sumo suit. Seriously, it's not that hard to keep 2 months of lift access fresh.
But in the spirit of making a Star wish list, Santa can you build a mutant O-Sin > No Joke with a Crabapple finish.
And stop f*cking with pipe dream, please.

Posted: Aug 28, 2014 at 21:28 Quote
g123 wrote:
nato wrote:
thereisnospoon wrote:
I've noticed the same on Rock Star and Double Dog over the last couple of years. stunts taken out and features dumbed down. possibly an effort to make the hill more noob friendly to increase traffic? insurance reasons?
Just cause a line is dumbed down doesn't mean you have the to take the easiest route.
You can add fun to any trail by looking for more challenging lines, angles, transitions, etc.
The ride is what you make of it.
^This. Spot on Nato. Anyone that gets bored at the Star - or on their local trails - is locked into tunnel vision. Use your imagination a bit... Think you have everything dialed? Turn the double into a triple. Hit it 2x as fast and learn how to scrub (legitimately). Manual everything. Learn a trick or 10. Take off your drivetrain. Wear a sumo suit. Seriously, it's not that hard to keep 2 months of lift access fresh.
But in the spirit of making a Star wish list, Santa can you build a mutant O-Sin > No Joke with a Crabapple finish.
And stop f*cking with pipe dream, please.

that would be sweet...

Posted: Sep 9, 2014 at 0:27 Quote
My first full season at SS this year.. Passholder... i use to ride years ago back in AB, but new to "Downhilling". I've gone from Challenger to Rockstar, Worldcup... Superstar was my fav for some time but have really been loving Rockstar... if ya see a dude rockin the "classic" Norco VPS Drop thats me.. lol funny how many people ask how old it is. Smile Still rides nice and feels nice on the jumps.

I feel I've been moving pretty quick down RS now (clearing the big jumps) and glad its not just me peddling like crazy to get speed up for the bridge where Superstar goes under. ( And the jumps after)

Last Sunday the 7th there was one landing with a huge hole in the landing that wasn't there the last time I was there. Scary sometimes getting surprised on your way in for landing! There are some smaller jumps that feel like they kick too short ( almost like bucking) and the landings seem too far out? I think this is around the marshy area that you guys are talking about? Carpet and thin wood sheets on the takeoffs there.

I have been loving doing the top of Jedi then connecting to Rockstar.

Loving the park and sad we only have one weekend left this year. Saw someone mention Martha creek. Planning on hitting it again on the last weekend of Sept. Was there same weekend last year and had to deal with snow up top but the trail as a whole was awesome. Hoping for better weather next time!

I've been posting vids on my YouTube channel (mikesmegabits). I'm just out having fun so no hate'n Smile our Martha Creek ride is there too.

See ya at the Star for the last weekend of the season on Saturday!

Posted: Sep 13, 2014 at 17:19 Quote
Last year I had a blast at silverstar in the 6 days I rode and I actually preferree it over whistler Iwas up there for labour day weekend after putting in like 20 whistler days this year and I found it a difficult mountain to ride for flow.
Lots of pedaling in sections to clear one jump then you overshoot the shit out of the next one.

I'm not ragging on the builders they did a decent job but the jump spacing on rock star and pipe dream are not consistent, and fairly dangerous until you know every jump speed but you shouldn't land at the top of the tranny in a pack and have to brake check to not kill yourself over shooting the second jump.
You rip down aline or dirt merchant and pedaling is an option and you clear everything without the fear of over shooting a jump mid pack. Much easier to ride if unfamiliar with the trails.

My 2 cents for silverstar next year is make some high speed jump trails and some more difficult techy trails. Or your going to lose the better riders to sun peaks and whislter

Posted: Sep 13, 2014 at 17:25 Quote
kent wrote:
Last year I had a blast at silverstar in the 6 days I rode and I actually preferree it over whistler Iwas up there for labour day weekend after putting in like 20 whistler days this year and I found it a difficult mountain to ride for flow.
Lots of pedaling in sections to clear one jump then you overshoot the shit out of the next one.

I'm not ragging on the builders they did a decent job but the jump spacing on rock star and pipe dream are not consistent, and fairly dangerous until you know every jump speed but you shouldn't land at the top of the tranny in a pack and have to brake check to not kill yourself over shooting the second jump.
You rip down aline or dirt merchant and pedaling is an option and you clear everything without the fear of over shooting a jump mid pack. Much easier to ride if unfamiliar with the trails.

My 2 cents for silverstar next year is make some high speed jump trails and some more difficult techy trails. Or your going to lose the better riders to sun peaks and whislter

you got that wrong about pipe dream. The speed on that one is almost the same all the way down. if you have to pedal on that one you are using your brakes. Rock star I will give it to you that it is too pedally and same with sections of Jedi mind trick. The new section you have to be careful as you are dead on with the under shot to over shot.

I have ridden dirt merchant and A-line a lot and there are pedally sections on them too. If you like the jump trails walk the line is pretty decent. no pedalling on it really. just got to keep off the brakes. also pretty well balanced. It is good you are giving your opinion though. I am not slamming you for it.

Posted: Sep 14, 2014 at 19:59 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
kent wrote:

you got that wrong about pipe dream. The speed on that one is almost the same all the way down. if you have to pedal on that one you are using your brakes. Rock star I will give it to you that it is too pedally and same with sections of Jedi mind trick. The new section you have to be careful as you are dead on with the under shot to over shot.

I have ridden dirt merchant and A-line a lot and there are pedally sections on them too. If you like the jump trails walk the line is pretty decent. no pedalling on it really. just got to keep off the brakes. also pretty well balanced. It is good you are giving your opinion though. I am not slamming you for it.
If you have to pedal on DM or Aline you are drunk.

Posted: Sep 14, 2014 at 20:36 Quote
makripper wrote:
vernonjeff wrote:
kent wrote:

If you have to pedal on DM or Aline you are drunk.

I had a big response and listed the sections you need to get on the pedals but im not going to bother. you are right. you are the only person in the world who has ridden whistler. you should probably be at red bull now checking it out. i wont keep you from your professional mtb schedule.

Posted: Sep 14, 2014 at 21:07 Quote
Wow. Total dick response edited into a slightly less dick response. Sad, dude.
People are leaving feedback, but you can't take the criticism so you get completely bent out of shape? I was just at SS, and am a total hack, but they have a point. I love the hill, but perfect it is not. No hill is.

Posted: Sep 14, 2014 at 21:58 Quote
thereisnospoon wrote:
Wow. Total dick response edited into a slightly less dick response. Sad, dude.
People are leaving feedback, but you can't take the criticism so you get completely bent out of shape? I was just at SS, and am a total hack, but they have a point. I love the hill, but perfect it is not. No hill is.

uhm.. no. do you really feel the need to be involved. the comment before it was edited was a list of spots that you need to pedal on aline and DM. (you do realize alone and DM are in whistler?) im not sure what you have to gain here. read the comments again. no one slammed a criticism about SS here. rather you havent read the content or you are somehow involved

Posted: Sep 14, 2014 at 22:09 Quote
@makripper: you are 100% correct, no question. Aside from the fact I have ridden these lines an obscene number of times over the years, I also just rode both DM and Aline *today* with a buddy who broke his derail on Garbo. He is a midlevel rider - Aline is about his max - and he had no chain. I did a "sympathy" chainless run with him. No pedal, no problem, & all tranny.
@VJ: List those spots. I'd love to hear them. I'll check them out on my first lap tomo am.
I don't think anyone is trying to gain anything here, calling out bullshit is fair game.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010504
Mobile Version of Website