Hardtails vs Duallies

Previous Page |
Posted: May 8, 2008 at 18:44 Quote
This question is continually being asked, no matter how pro you get, so..

Do you prefer hartails or dual suspension for XC riding? why?

Posted: May 8, 2008 at 18:47 Quote
racing: hardtail. better pedalling effeciency, lighter, stiffer

riding for fun: full suspension

thread over

Posted: May 8, 2008 at 18:48 Quote
DS gets better traction has better perfomance but in most cases is heavier

Posted: May 8, 2008 at 18:49 Quote
jefo wrote:

thread over

Posted: May 8, 2008 at 18:50 Quote
jefo wrote:
jefo wrote:

thread over
riding for fun your kidding me WC dh all dullys

Posted: May 8, 2008 at 19:32 Quote
jefo wrote:
XC riding...
again mostly DS more control faster overall christop sauser is 19 pounds

Posted: May 8, 2008 at 19:37 Quote
poozank wrote:
jefo wrote:
XC riding...

imagine how light a hardtail could be then. and for xc racing you don't really need rear suspension

Posted: May 8, 2008 at 19:47 Quote
jefo wrote:
poozank wrote:
jefo wrote:
XC riding...

imagine how light a hardtail could be then. and for xc racing you don't really need rear suspension
you obviously dont ride xc or in colorado

Posted: May 8, 2008 at 19:49 Quote
poozank wrote:
jefo wrote:
poozank wrote:

i race xc. but not in colorado. it depends on the terrain, but at xc races where I go are tame enough to ride a hardtail.

and all of the riders with the best times ride hardtails

trailriding is a different story

Posted: May 9, 2008 at 8:49 Quote
I dont race anymore but I raced both hard tails and full suspension, and I trail ride both, depends on you.

Most people prefer full suspension, the increased traction, control and comfort on rough terrain generally pays off for the slight increase in weight. But if you like to work a little harder on rough terrain then a steel hard tail is hard to beat. Really depends on the terrain you ride. Here in Kimberley very few people even use 4" bikes for trail ridding, 5"-6" are the most common. They dont call them the Rocky Mountains for nothing.

Posted: May 9, 2008 at 10:08 Quote
jefo wrote:
poozank wrote:
jefo wrote:

i race xc. but not in colorado. it depends on the terrain, but at xc races where I go are tame enough to ride a hardtail.

and all of the riders with the best times ride hardtails

trailriding is a different story
we have rocks and roots like no other you need a DS just for traction otherwise the wheels spin

Posted: May 12, 2008 at 5:32 Quote
I've only really tried riding HD which I love, and go all over the place with it. But I'm sure that DS is good for some steep downhill slopes and such, though I shall have to try it first!lol

So for me, Hardtail it is. And I agree that some people said DS are heavier. I'd rather cart my Ironhorse Hardtail up a hill anyday!

Posted: May 12, 2008 at 5:58 Quote
I prefer hardtail, I don't like rear suspension yet because I don't want to become a lazy rider and just roll over everything, I'd like to be really good at picking lines, then get a full suspension bike later.

Posted: May 13, 2008 at 3:33 Quote
Borgschulze wrote:
I prefer hardtail, I don't like rear suspension yet because I don't want to become a lazy rider and just roll over everything, I'd like to be really good at picking lines, then get a full suspension bike later.
true i agree

Been riding different HT’s for years, initially held that FS was for old men, or folk who didn’t understand the essence of man, machine and nature. Depends what the riding is like where u r. if you can get away with it I think a good HT is the way forward. But there r situations where a dully makes it that much more fun or a HT is plain out of its depth. I just got my first dully, a light-travel slopestyle that I’ve modified for mainly trail/AM and what ever nasty stuff we can find. Its sooo much fun, I go looking for the bad lines, its taken my confidence and ability to another level.
So u see it all depends - just don’t be one of those who only go with the latest fad, and after spending 6k on the latest dully of course they will tell you how cr@p a HT is.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013751
Mobile Version of Website