Getting into biking... need help!

PB Forum :: Downhill
Getting into biking... need help!
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 15:34 Quote
Okay so here's the deal... I am a skier. But I am looking for something to keep me busy and keep my legs in shape during the off season. Looks like mountain biking is the way to go... and it looks fun as hell too.
I live at Blue Mountain, Ontario, so i'll be riding there. Doing lift access stuff, and maybe some pedaling... but nothing uphill or anything. Where I need help is. I don't know what bike to buy. I have it narrowed down to two that I am looking at, but I am not set on either. I don't know a whole lot about bikes so it is hard for me to compare them... and shops seem pretty biased to what they sell. So i'm hoping that you the community of pinkbike can help set me straight.

I am looking at at the:

kona stinky (comes with d.o.p.e. floating brake system)
http://www.konaworld.com/08_stinky_c.htm

KHS Lucky 7
http://www.khsbicycles.com/01_lucky7_08.htm

Please compare these bikes for me (include why one might be better), and feel free to add any others I should look at.
I am planning to spend around $2500 cdn. I can get either of these bikes for around $2100.
Thanks in advance, KEV

Posted: May 11, 2008 at 15:36 Quote
look at the santa cruz v10's

Posted: May 11, 2008 at 15:36 Quote
welcome to the sport,i dont know much about either bike but i might aswell stay here to find out

Posted: May 11, 2008 at 15:37 Quote
i ride a stinky and its fun but i wouldn't spend 2k on a stinky.

Posted: May 11, 2008 at 15:37 Quote
lucky 7, that bike looks sick !

Posted: May 11, 2008 at 15:40 Quote
i have the stinky 08, its awesome. There's such a wide choice out there tho, if you arent looking to do any freeride and just downhill, i'd look specifically at a downhill rig !!

O+
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 16:16 Quote
rule out stinky, they are real love and hate bikes. something like a giant reignx2 ought to serve you good.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 16:17 Quote
the lucky7 looks sick.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 16:18 Quote
oh and what do you want to do, jumping or dh or fr (all three are common in a lift acces park)

Posted: May 11, 2008 at 18:08 Quote
I'll be doing some downhill and freeride

O+
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 18:48 Quote
well if ya gotta go with one of those two I would say the lucky seven. The stinky is a nice bike and pretty tough but you will notice the rear feels sluggish and a little wierd. If you have other ptions check out the giant freeride. They are defenitly not for competition but will be the best bang for you buck.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 18:53 Quote
I might get a shit storm for saying this but don't get a norco either, atleast not an entry level freeride around your price range. Don't get me wrong their frames are just fine but I find all there bikes up till the really high-end stuff is way over priced.
So if you can check out the giant.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 18:56 Quote
norco is missing a model in the shore range, between 3 and 4 grand

Posted: May 11, 2008 at 18:57 Quote
well since there isnt any features at blue anymore i would look into a downhill rig instead of a freeride rig.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 19:01 Quote
then a mongoose ecd will do you good, or a scythe

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013599
Mobile Version of Website