Which is better: 135mm or 150mm rear axle/hub?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Which is better: 135mm or 150mm rear axle/hub?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 8:43 Quote
Hey guys i was wondering what is better on a DH/FR frame: a 135mm rear axle or a 150mm rear axle?

Thanks.....

Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 9:25 Quote
When it comes to axles, bigger is better. For the amount of weight that is added, for the amount of stiffness you are gaining, it is totally worth it. Like 20mm over 9mm, 20mm is heavier, but have you ever in your entire life seen a bent, or broken 20mm axle? I doubt it, i sure haven't.

Mod
Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 14:08 Quote
150mm thruaxles do serve a purpose, although I'm not as convinced that we really need them. They do tie everything together stiffer and if done right they can be very light. Some companies use a very clean aluminum axle while others unfortunetly use a nasty steel axle which is not needed. A 150mm rear wheel is built up with zero dish/even tension on both sides which does create a stronger wheel.

BUT...I've been a number of short travel bikes that use 135m rear ends and they have felt more then stiff enough. As far as axles breaking, as long as you don't have a lowerend Shimano QR axle you shouldn't have a problem with 135mm axles. I would absolutlety love to be able to run Mavic's CrossMax SX wheelset on my DH bike, I'm pretty confident it would work out just fine. It would open up alot of hub options which would be nice. In the end it all comes down to what the companies sell, which right now is usually 150mm. It would be nice if more companies had clean interchangealbe dropout systems to let you choose from more wheel options. Off the top of my head I canonly think of Intense offering 150mm and 135mm options on the bike of their big bikes. Anybody know anyone else that does it??

Posted: Oct 15, 2007 at 13:04 Quote
ive got a cannondale judge with a floating brake link. it has a 150mm spacing to fit the floating brake plate in there, but the hub is a zero dish 135mm. this works really well. it is the nicest bike i have ever ridden. very stiff laterally. its also the best floating brake i have seen, much stiffer than konas or brake therapy designs...this makes it not get any weird brake noises. its also for sale in the buysell section. 3500 usd, has not seen much use.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008896
Mobile Version of Website