Please Help! Avid Codes are PULSING

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Please Help! Avid Codes are PULSING
Posted: May 14, 2008 at 7:22 Quote
all of my friends and i that ride avids have recently noticed that when you invert your bike, you loose all breaking power.
wats that about!?
found out whilst walking through a style, then hoping on my bike to find that the levers whent all the way to the bars!
after a few pumps there ok again....its just like waaaaaahT?

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 9:00 Quote
dabomb666 wrote:
all of my friends and i that ride avids have recently noticed that when you invert your bike, you loose all breaking power.
wats that about!?
found out whilst walking through a style, then hoping on my bike to find that the levers whent all the way to the bars!
after a few pumps there ok again....its just like waaaaaahT?

yeah mine do that too, but it's really not just avid, i've heard a lot of brakes do that-though mine do it every time, lol.

on a second note-i work in a shop guys-so i'll just order through qbp or bti, no worries about price or getting the wrong stuff, dot5.1 is what's needed. I think the levers also said dot 4 on them but w/e.

So does anybody have any ideas why the pad adjustment doesn't work? i hope that just happens with air bubbles or something cuz i really don't want to have to warrantee parts less than a month into my riding season, ugg. i don't think our shop has any dot 5.1 which is why i said i'll have to order some.

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 21:56 Quote
Problem solved! turns out something was up with the rotor, i didn't have to bleed the brake or anything. I switched to my old octagon/polygon or w/e avid rotor from 06 and they work like a charm. I checked out the old/new rotor that caused the problem and I can't see ANY kind of warp, or bend (especially since I spent a good hour truing it to perfection. I think it must have been contaminated with bike lust or something, but the weird thing is you would think my pads would have also been messed up-anyways, my brakes are back to 110% and i'm loving my codes again, silent but deadly power for sure. So anyone else with this problem I would suggest trying a different rotor before taking the time to bleed them-i'm glad i didn't have time to do anything else today as I would have ordered a bleed kit for no reason. Thanks for all the help guys, and I hope this solves other peoples code issues too.

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 22:03 Quote
Dude. Bleeding isn't complicated and if you haven't bled them yet you should anyway.

Posted: May 15, 2008 at 11:19 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BADDDDDDDD advice.

Yep. Mixing 5.1 and 5 actually causes solids to precipitate out of the mixture, filling your brake system with a white fluffy goo. Imagine bleeding your brake system with yogurt.

Posted: May 15, 2008 at 14:21 Quote
i agree that avids need bleeding out of the box, my Juicy 3's reach all the way to bar befor they bite.
which is disappointing! my 7's are brilliant tho...

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 19:22 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
dmadness wrote:
just buy dot 5 from the gas station or a home hardware ..it's the same stuff.. and prolly cheaper than a bike shop

NO IT"S NOT THE SAME STUFF.

I absolutely 100% insist that you NEVER put DOT5 in a bike brake system. DOT5 and DOT5.1 are VERY different. DOT5.1 is glycol based. DOT5 is silicone based and will gradually destroy your seals and you will never be able to get it out of you brakes.

okay.. BEFORE you get all jumpity about you conclusions ( perhaps you misunderstood ) what I was saying is that the dot 5 you get at a bike shop is the same as the dot 5 you get at a gas station as is the dot 4,3 , 2 , etc. they're obviously not the Same fluid's ( dot 1 boils approximately 1000 times quicer than dot 5 ) but most break's are designed for either dot 3 or 4, with Newer avids and some other models using dot 5 ( the highest boiling temp of all the brake fluids ) ..

...okay ...Clear.

Camas, if it was rotor contamination then you need to grit your rotor with some sand paper and hit it with a torch, to remove contamination ...

Clear it with the Jury first... lol

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 19:26 Quote
dmadness wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:
dmadness wrote:
just buy dot 5 from the gas station or a home hardware ..it's the same stuff.. and prolly cheaper than a bike shop

I absolutely 100% insist that you NEVER put DOT5 in a bike brake system. DOT5 and DOT5.1 are VERY different. DOT5.1 is glycol based. DOT5 is silicone based and will gradually destroy your seals and you will never be able to get it out of you brakes.

okay.. BEFORE you get all jumpity about you conclusions ( perhaps you misunderstood ) what I was saying is that the dot 5 you get at a bike shop is the same as the dot 5 you get at a gas station as is the dot 4,3 , 2 , etc. they're obviously not the Same fluid's ( dot 1 boils approximately 1000 times quicer than dot 5 ) but most break's are designed for either dot 3 or 4, with Newer avids and some other models using dot 5 ( the highest boiling temp of all the brake fluids ) ..

...okay ...Clear.

Yeah. I'm clear that you're wrong. DOT 5 is DOT 5 regardless of where you get it. DOT 5.1 is completely different. DOT 4 and 5.1 are the fluids to use in bike B R A K E S. Do you honestly believe that the US Department Of Transportation the premier highway and industrial safety standard organization in North America would allow two completely different fluids to be labeled the same? You are wrong. Do some more research. To reiterate DOT 5 is a silicone based fluid that should NEVER EVER EVERRRRRRR be put into a bike B R A K E system.

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 19:28 Quote
jesus You really are a f*ckin' moron. you just agreed with me that you misinterpreted what I was trying to say, and then hit me with your useless banter..???!
lol... what a retard.
Rolleyes

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 19:29 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
dmadness wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:

...okay ...Clear.

Yeah. I'm clear that you're wrong. DOT 5 is DOT 5 regardless of where you get it. DOT 5.1 is completely different. DOT 4 and 5.1 are the fluids to use in bike B R A K E S. Do you honestly believe that the US Department Of Transportation the premier highway and industrial safety standard organization in North America would allow two completely different fluids to be labeled the same? You are wrong. Do some more research. To reiterate DOT 5 is a silicone based fluid that should NEVER EVER EVERRRRRRR be put into a bike B R A K E system.

Whoa,

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 19:31 Quote
dmadness wrote:
jesus You really are a f*ckin' moron. you just agreed with me that you misinterpreted what I was trying to say, and then hit me with your useless banter..???!
lol... what a retard.
Rolleyes

Really? I direct you to this comment of yours:

dmadness wrote:
Newer avids and some other models using dot 5 ( the highest boiling temp of all the brake fluids )

Who's the moron?

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 19:36 Quote
I'm throwing this comment of your's back out there for the OP's benefit:

dmadness wrote:

Just to clarify: DOT 5 and DOT 5.1 are two completely different things.

DOT5: BAD BAD BAD

DOT5.1: GOOD GOOD GOOD.

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 19:36 Quote
the point was tat i wasn't beiong specific, i was just saying he could get brake fluid from anywhere and that there is no "special" " bike " brake fluid.

You win, wow i'm a moron. Are you happy now?

Rolleyes

Btw. I do appreciate your not wanting him to fubar. his bike. Wink

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 19:37 Quote
dmadness wrote:
Btw. I do appreciate your not wanting him to fubar. his bike. Wink

No problem. You were trying your best to get him to but I won't let you. tup

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014323
Mobile Version of Website