Starting downhill!

PB Forum :: Downhill
Starting downhill!
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 at 15:50 Quote
But why if they say that they are the same... so whats the difference?

Posted: Apr 12, 2011 at 2:50 Quote
im buying a used downhill bike and can only spend up to 1 grand.Any thoughts on what bike and what i should look out for in problems?

Posted: Apr 12, 2011 at 6:43 Quote
I also am buying a used downhill bike, but I only have £650ish is that enough? I quite like Kona stinky, I can get a second hand one of them and stay in budget, are they any good, or is a big hit better. Should I wait till I have more money?

Posted: Apr 12, 2011 at 11:58 Quote
RP1172 wrote:
I also am buying a used downhill bike, but I only have £650ish is that enough? I quite like Kona stinky, I can get a second hand one of them and stay in budget, are they any good, or is a big hit better. Should I wait till I have more money?
id go with the big hit for sure

Posted: Apr 12, 2011 at 13:40 Quote
joekickass14 wrote:
RP1172 wrote:
I know for DH a big hit s better, but I have to cycle a few miles a day, which I can just about manage on my current DH bike, I also do a bit dirt jump and FR and a little XC, how easy to pedal is the big hit? Is it any good at free-ride?

Posted: Apr 12, 2011 at 15:03 Quote
RP1172 wrote:
joekickass14 wrote:
RP1172 wrote:
I know for DH a big hit s better, but I have to cycle a few miles a day, which I can just about manage on my current DH bike, I also do a bit dirt jump and FR and a little XC, how easy to pedal is the big hit? Is it any good at free-ride?
well this years big hit is a good price and its got a single crwon but you would have to ask someone the rides one

Posted: Apr 19, 2011 at 10:29 Quote
joekickass14 wrote:
RP1172 wrote:
joekickass14 wrote:
well this years big hit is a good price and its got a single crwon but you would have to ask someone the rides one
I personally think the big hit would be better for jumps etc.
Have you looked at the giant faiths? Not sure if they are in your budget, but I built mine for £700 and its awesome. Since I got it I have changed the forks, font wheel and drivetrain and that is all! Have a look at my pics, but its definatly worth looking at. Oh, and there are some pics of me hitting some full on dirt jumps as well as racing downhill on the same set up!

Posted: Apr 19, 2011 at 11:49 Quote
With 2K GBP you can have very nice Orange 224 with some killer parts. You can find few good one here (pinkbike) too. If I were you and live in UK, I would go for Orange.

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 4:20 Quote
MattyCatchy wrote:
joekickass14 wrote:
RP1172 wrote:
Have you looked at the giant faiths? Not sure if they are in your budget, but I built mine for £700 and its awesome. Since I got it I have changed the forks, font wheel and drivetrain and that is all! Have a look at my pics, but its definatly worth looking at. Oh, and there are some pics of me hitting some full on dirt jumps as well as racing downhill on the same set up!
Nice bike! I think I have decided to get a DH frame not a full bike as my current bike has some good spec so could save some money Smile Are faiths easy to pedal? I'm also not sure if I should get a DH hardtail instead as they are meant to be good to learn on, I like the nukeproof snap but idk if it would work to well for dh. Is chick-sands good? I was guna go there the other day but my mate broke his bike.

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 13:45 Quote
RP1172 wrote:
MattyCatchy wrote:
joekickass14 wrote:
Nice bike! I think I have decided to get a DH frame not a full bike as my current bike has some good spec so could save some money Smile Are faiths easy to pedal? I'm also not sure if I should get a DH hardtail instead as they are meant to be good to learn on, I like the nukeproof snap but idk if it would work to well for dh. Is chick-sands good? I was guna go there the other day but my mate broke his bike.
im starting dh and my first dh bike is 9 inches in the front and 7 in the back and i can keep up with my buds on hardtails

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 14:11 Quote
Giant faith = cracking bike! I bought mine for £500 as my first downhill bike, ive spent about £250 upgrading/replacing parts since but ive owned it about a year. Its a great bike, little heavy but nothing to worry about.
Pedalling is on par with most other dh bikes, ive riden a fair few (glorys, dh teams, big hits) and found the faith to pedal as well as those bikes.
Ive heard chicksands is awesome for downhill and hope to get over there real soon!

Posted: Apr 22, 2011 at 8:41 Quote
if u got the money go get a yeti with full saint spc and fox fork/shok

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 15:26 Quote
Russ-69 wrote:
Giant faith = cracking bike! I bought mine for £500 as my first downhill bike, ive spent about £250 upgrading/replacing parts since but ive owned it about a year. Its a great bike, little heavy but nothing to worry about.
Pedalling is on par with most other dh bikes, ive riden a fair few (glorys, dh teams, big hits) and found the faith to pedal as well as those bikes.
Ive heard chicksands is awesome for downhill and hope to get over there real soon!

Agreed about the pedalling! I biked to some djs on it 11 miles away every saturday for months, then rode home again!

But disagreed on the chicksands for downhill... Its a good all round bike park, but there is one bit of single track which is quite short, and im pretty sure would be a fair bit quicker on a HT.

Not too far from chicky is Aston Hill, which is awesome. Bloody hard in the wet, but in the dry its easy enough. I went down on my mates HT with 100mm forks and kept up with him on my faith Razz To be fair, he is starting dh!

About the hard tails anyway, i would love to give it a go properly. Its harder but for learning you will become a much better rider for it. I may even set my dj bike up with some better forks, two bakes and possibly some gears and take that to aston for a a laugh!

Posted: Nov 30, 2011 at 22:48 Quote
Hi there i was wondering if you could tell me what would be better to start out on a Kona stinky with 66's or a specialized demo 7 or something like that cheers.

Posted: Dec 4, 2011 at 8:43 Quote
HaroForumRider wrote:
Hi there i was wondering if you could tell me what would be better to start out on a Kona stinky with 66's or a specialized demo 7 or something like that cheers.
i would go with the demo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012888
Mobile Version of Website