888rc3 help

• Previous Page
Posted: May 14, 2008 at 20:00 Quote
hey i just got a new 888rc3 about two weeks ago. today i went to take some step downs by my house and it went soft all of a sudden. went to my bike shop that i got it from and they told me that its just an air bubble and it should be fine after adjusting it. i just want to make sure that is the case before i hit anything big.

and one more thing, is it possible to turn the adjustment knobs too much and damage the fork?

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 20:09 Quote
If the adjustments are cranked in far then the oil level is probably too low. Marzocchi is notorious for underfilling their forks. I suggest you just go ahead and drain the stock oil and replace it with some quality Silkolene RSF oil that you can order from a moto shop. I believe your fork uses 7.5wt. That should address your setup concerns and will most likely remedy the damping problem. If that doesn't do it report back.

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 20:10 Quote
Nope didnt no that sorry dude i had 888 before but wasnt shure if urs had air

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 20:12 Quote
specializedrider07 wrote:
Yeah that should be the the only problem mabey try adjustting somethign or adding air
Rolleyes

What would that something be? Did you know that this fork has a mechanical preload and no air assist?

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 20:25 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
If the adjustments are cranked in far then the oil level is probably too low. Marzocchi is notorious for underfilling their forks. I suggest you just go ahead and drain the stock oil and replace it with some quality Silkolene RSF oil that you can order from a moto shop. I believe your fork uses 7.5wt. That should address your setup concerns and will most likely remedy the damping problem. If that doesn't do it report back.
so if i keep it as it is and just tune it( it works fine atm) is there a point that i turn the knob too much and damage the fork?

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 20:40 Quote
lilazn141 wrote:
is there a point that i turn the knob too much and damage the fork?

No but assuming your oil levels are high enough it will feel like total shit if you turn the damping adjustment all the way up. Do you have a firm grasp on what each adjustment does?

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 20:59 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
lilazn141 wrote:
is there a point that i turn the knob too much and damage the fork?

No but assuming your oil levels are high enough it will feel like total shit if you turn the damping adjustment all the way up. Do you have a firm grasp on what each adjustment does?
not at all
just playing with it and hoping for the best

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 21:10 Quote
OK Then. Maybe you should consider learning that then eh? Especially since you apparently have a fork that's WAY beyond your needs.

First there is the big red mechanical preload knob on top of the right leg. That adjusts the spring itself. Just turn that till you have the desired amount of sag. How much do you weigh?

Then you have that thar' compression knob on top of the left leg. Set that to preference. It controls the compression stroke of the fork. All the way left means it's more sensitive to small bumps but dives a little more under braking and pedaling forces. All the way right means it's stiffer and rides higher in it's travel. If it were me I'd run it close to all the way left. Then you have the rebound knob on the bottom. That's highly personal preference. Turn it clockwise and the fork rebounds slower. It will tend to pack up and handle poorly in rocks but in turn will be more controlled in landings. Turn it counterclockwise and it will be quicker and snappier. It will jump better and handle nasty terrain better at speed. It will, in turn, be a little more of a hand full and more likely to tell you who's boss when you make a mistake. The little air valve on top of the left leg is a virtual oil level adjustment. After you set everything else that is your bottom out adjustment. If you are using all your travel without bottoming then don't touch it. If you aren't using all your travel you need less air pressure. If you are bottoming frequently you need more air pressure.

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 21:15 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
OK Then. Maybe you should consider learning that then eh? Especially since you apparently have a fork that's WAY beyond your needs.

First there is the big red mechanical preload knob on top of the right leg. That adjusts the spring itself. Just turn that till you have the desired amount of sag. How much do you weigh?

Then you have that thar' compression knob on top of the left leg. Set that to preference. It controls the compression stroke of the fork. All the way left means it's more sensitive to small bumps but dives a little more under braking and pedaling forces. All the way right means it's stiffer and rides higher in it's travel. If it were me I'd run it close to all the way left. Then you have the rebound knob on the bottom. That's highly personal preference. Turn it clockwise and the fork rebounds slower. It will tend to pack up and handle poorly in rocks but in turn will be more controlled in landings. Turn it counterclockwise and it will be quicker and snappier. It will jump better and handle nasty terrain better at speed. It will, in turn, be a little more of a hand full and more likely to tell you who's boss when you make a mistake. The little air valve on top of the left leg is a virtual oil level adjustment. After you set everything else that is your bottom out adjustment. If you are using all your travel without bottoming then don't touch it. If you aren't using all your travel you need less air pressure. If you are bottoming frequently you need more air pressure.
i weigh 135 pounds , i dont think my rc3 has a air valve... its not the rc3 wc

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 21:20 Quote
lilazn141 wrote:

Run the knob on top of the right leg all the way counterclockwise. That should feel great at your weight.

It has an air valve. Unscrew the top of the knob on the left side. I believe it comes off by hand pretty easy.

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 21:28 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
lilazn141 wrote:

Run the knob on top of the right leg all the way counterclockwise. That should feel great at your weight.

It has an air valve. Unscrew the top of the knob on the left side. I believe it comes off by hand pretty easy.
Just double checked no vavle.:P and and what does turning it countercloakwise do? makes it go down slower?

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 21:30 Quote
lilazn141 wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:
lilazn141 wrote:

Just double checked no vavle.:P and and what does turning it countercloakwise do? makes it go down slower?

READ THE DAMN ESSAY I WROTE.

DUDE. You have an air valve. There is no way around it. If there is a little piece of rubber in the knob then pull that out. Get creative. Find it. It's not THAT hard.

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 21:37 Quote
Actually. My bad on the air valve thing. I thought the virtual oil volume was an air adjustment. I don't think it is. There are 2 knobs inside each other on the top of the left leg correct? What is written on each one?

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 at 22:24 Quote
ya i have the same problem i just bought a rc3 and i just about bottomed it on a small 5 foot step down, i ajusted the mech. preload, compression, and recoil to full and it still didnt work. im only about 130 pounds. what the hell is going on? any tips?

Posted: Jun 7, 2008 at 2:32 Quote
i have sort of the same problem, it could be lack of oil in the forks, marzocchi are known for this

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009976
Mobile Version of Website