My VPS 3 Need some help on what to do with it

PB Forum :: Downhill
My VPS 3 Need some help on what to do with it
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 18, 2008 at 16:04 Quote
Hey guys I just recently bought this norco VPS-3 i think its a 2000-2001? not to sure but i just wanted to build it up abit cause im just getting into starting DH i just wanted to get some suggestions on what i should do with it.. i just got the cassete and shifters replaced and a new juicy 3 brake, its got MR.T Forks not even sure what year or anything but they seem to work fine but id love to upgrade just wanted to see if you guys had any ideas on what i should do to update this bike and make it alittle more reasonable and reliable to ride i love how smooth it handles everything and how light it is but i need some help! also its got race face crank
Thanks! -Shane Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://images.craigslist.org/010106011506010408200805136e4bbf0c9d8b6fb9ea002e57.jpgUnsecure image, only https images allowed: http://images.craigslist.org/0101120115090104082008051307808cdf0800379827006e84.jpg

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 17:20 Quote
Start saving your money for another bike? Thats the best idea, that frame is ancient, and will not last that long, so don't be surprised if you break if you start being rough on it. Not to mention you could pimp it right out with top of the line parts, and at the end of the day it'll still be a crappy frame.

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 17:55 Quote
well i dunno i have heard of people going down whistler on 10 year old frames with no troubles the vps is pretty much a tank from what i have been hearing and i dont plan on going on any extreme stuff so i dont see why it would snap so easy i just want to make it decent.

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 17:56 Quote
Well I cant tell much from the pictures.
Mind putting a full parts list?

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 18:00 Quote
Alright i dont know to to much but i will tell you all i can

Race Face Crank, Forumla Front Hub, DH Back Hub, Juciy 3 front , Grimeca Back, mrT MARZ forks ( Pretty old but work suprisingly well ), Maxxis Mobsters Front and back tires, Sun rims back and front, Fox vannilia Back shock, Axion Stem, Easton Monkeylite Handle bars

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 18:01 Quote
Also take into mind im just Starting Downhill so its a starter bike sorta thing

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 18:04 Quote
Well nothing sounds like it should be replaced.
Find it heavy or just fine?

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 18:08 Quote
Man not heavy at all to be honoest

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 18:11 Quote
Well i cant say that you'd need to change anything.
Maybe over time update some parts such as say the fork, its getting up there in age and if you get a new or newer fork you will notice a big difference. Also your rear shock, any idea what it may be?

**edit** Re read your post, now my question is, no the age on the shock?
If its older maybe get a rebuild by say Push or invest in a new one?

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 18:14 Quote
Yeah i was thinking about throwing some new forks on it somtime when i get the cash forsure, i know its a fox vanilla it has a red knob in the abck to adjust its travel i belive it says slower on the knob

FL
Posted: May 18, 2008 at 18:14 Quote
id go with a nw rear shock and if those tires are as old as thebike new tires for sure. I dont mean to poach your thread but while on the topic of old bikes what do you guys think about a 2001 brodie devo with 2005 part i am looking to trade it for a demo with some cash and ya Dont Dh on old tires and maybe brakes

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 18:15 Quote
im not sure how old the shocks are to be honoest but im going to put some new ones on when i get the chance they seem to do fine tho there just Orange and silver Mr.t's i was told there ancient so yeah..

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 18:16 Quote
Freerider whats the spec list on the demo?
Or if you have a link, if its got decent parts and has been taken care of good and depending on the cash you add in it should be a good deal.

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 18:17 Quote
Yeah i wanted to get new front and back any suggestions on what would be a good one? for a decent price that is.. and yeah im going to replace the rims and tires to with double track in the back and sngle in the front if thats a good way to go..

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 18:18 Quote
freerider1057 wrote:
id go with a nw rear shock and if those tires are as old as thebike new tires for sure. I dont mean to poach your thread but while on the topic of old bikes what do you guys think about a 2001 brodie devo with 2005 part i am looking to trade it for a demo with some cash and ya Dont Dh on old tires and maybe brakes
alu has a shelf life of 7 years after that it could crack dropping off the curb.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020700
Mobile Version of Website