Official Cut off your finger with Disc Brakes Thread.

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Official Cut off your finger with Disc Brakes Thread.
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 19:39 Quote
a few weeks ago i put new tires on and took my front caliper off and my rim was on backwards and went to reach for the quick release and then it happened.
jeff-hurd wrote:
how the hell do you get ur finger in da disk, wen ur riding? :s

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 19:44 Quote
On the topic of disc brakes, does 185mm mean 6 inch, and 203 mm mean 8 inch?

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 19:52 Quote
dhr-208 wrote:
On the topic of disc brakes, does 185mm mean 6 inch, and 203 mm mean 8 inch?
160mm is 6 inch and 185 is 7 inch

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 20:05 Quote
cooldudethatate wrote:
drew44 wrote:
odin333 wrote:
i cut my sandwich in half using my disk break. works pretty well, especially when its hot. but why the hell would you stick your finger in it. well i did get my friend to lick it when it was really hot, but it wasn't spinning.

we arent talking about the thin edge of the disk, we are talking about the interior part right?

Yes exactly i was fixing my my chain and my finger somehow slipped in.

How is that possible when the chain is on the other side of the wheel? Hmmmm seems kinda odd to me.

Also no offence to anyone who has cut their finger in their disc but when I bought my bike it came with labels on the disc that basically said "danger, keep hands clear of disk." I didn't think anyone would be dumb enough to try it.

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 20:07 Quote
my mate did that with the end of his finger

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 20:26 Quote
all i have to say is
shit happens....

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 20:33 Quote
mattf wrote:
Hombre3000 wrote:
Yeah, I've done it too. It sucks. A lot. I put a cloth on it and wrapped so tight that it didn't bleed and it was numb for about two days.
similar actions on from me.
Was adjusting a brake, and the wheel turned... ever so slowly, but goddamn those discs are sharp, and with it being a hefty dh wheel, even though it was going slowly, there was a lot of momentum behind it. My finger slipped into the rotor, and it cut through the base of my fingernail, down to the bone. (there was quite an impressive blood splatter pattern on the wall next to me too:P)
Immediately grabbed nearest cloth, and wrapped it on tight and held it solid for about 2 hours, before taking it to a sink, cold watering it, then tieing it together with tissue and electrical tape.

Hurt like a bastard for a couple of days, but it wasn't too bad after that for about 2 weeks when it was only painful when my finger came into contact with anything. Took ages for the nail to grow out too
How owrfull are the brake with blood on them??

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 at 5:52 Quote
Kbone wrote:
cooldudethatate wrote:
drew44 wrote:

we arent talking about the thin edge of the disk, we are talking about the interior part right?

Yes exactly i was fixing my my chain and my finger somehow slipped in.

How is that possible when the chain is on the other side of the wheel? Hmmmm seems kinda odd to me.

Also no offence to anyone who has cut their finger in their disc but when I bought my bike it came with labels on the disc that basically said "danger, keep hands clear of disk." I didn't think anyone would be dumb enough to try it.

uhhh yeah, i guess i was one of those guys that was dumb enough to try it
didn't cut the finger off, no where near, but put a dam nasty cut through the end of my index finger

Posted: Aug 31, 2010 at 12:38 Quote
holy digging up the dead batman...

but on a similar note my daughter did the cut the finger tip yesterday. not bad just a bad pinch.

Posted: Sep 2, 2010 at 15:54 Quote
i havent had anything quite as dramatic as some people on here but i did manage to remove a large chunk of skin from the back of my hand about 4 cm long by about 1 wide by getting it stuck between the fork and wheel on a bike and having the wheel turn, spokes are suprisingly sharp!

Posted: Sep 2, 2010 at 22:20 Quote
i got one for ya...
wasnt me but i saw the aftermath.
my friend just installed a new brake rotor and spun the wheel to see if the rotor was bend, then went to rub off some dirt on the fork or something and his finger somehow wound up in the rotor causeing his fingertip to get SMASHED, alota blood! and one seriously jacked up finger nail

Posted: Oct 27, 2010 at 0:27 Quote
When I was working at a shop, had an ex pro racers banshee up on the stand, and started pedaling while I adjusting the der. Well, He was getting his brakes rebuilt so I had no way to stop the rear tire, except for my hand. Not a big deal, right?..... hah.

Usually, you just feather your hand on the top of the wheel and it slows down, but this wheel was freekin flying. I didnt take into consideration the heavy wheel, heavy 2.5 tire, and the 8 inch rotor.

Thats a lot of force spinning around, to stop with your hands...but like I said, feathering calms the wheel down for speed.

Not with this one. He had a really soft tire in the rear of the bike, and when I went to feather the wheel, it just gripped my hand and SLAM! Sandwiched it between the frame and the wheel. Took all that force and brought it to a dead stop with my index finger.

Ended up splitting the nail, fracturing the finger, and huge amounts of swelling occured. That really sucked haha, but shit happens. I was out of comission for the rest of the day, and chose front desk/chipwagon food for the rest of the day.

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 at 19:23 Quote
When I first got disk brakes, I decided to touch one "to see how hot it got" after a 3~min downhill on a road when waiting in traffic at the juction at the bottom of the hill...

Burned an impression of the disk into my index finger and had me looking like a tool infront of the people in the car behind me.

Took 4-5 weeks before the disk impression vanished.

Needless to say, I've not done it again >.>;
I tend to sprinkle a bit of water on it out of my camelback to demonstrate how hot they get instead!

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2010 at 19:26 Quote
Konda wrote:
When I first got disk brakes, I decided to touch one "to see how hot it got" after a 3~min downhill on a road when waiting in traffic at the juction at the bottom of the hill...

Burned an impression of the disk into my index finger and had me looking like a tool infront of the people in the car behind me.

Took 4-5 weeks before the disk impression vanished.

Needless to say, I've not done it again >.>;
I tend to sprinkle a bit of water on it out of my camelback to demonstrate how hot they get instead!

Thats the way to learn from your mistakes!!!

Posted: May 13, 2013 at 14:19 Quote
Careful now!!! These pics are rough!! GODDAMMNNNN that hurt!!! Went ahead and decided to guillotine my fingertip off on wknd while trying to sort out a rubbing disc on my Zesty. Not fun. I'm told it will grow back very slowly to a certain extent. I guess it could be a lot worse ... and better ... depending on how u look at it. I wonder how long i'm off the bike for??
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/beemac70/slicedfinger.jpgUnsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/beemac70/fingerindisc.jpg

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.026806
Mobile Version of Website