Official Cut off your finger with Disc Brakes Thread.

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Official Cut off your finger with Disc Brakes Thread.
Posted: Dec 20, 2017 at 9:55 Quote
Sitting in the er right now. Mounted some nice new high roller II's and of course I was excited to see how nice they looked so with my bike upside down I gave the wheel a nice big spin and with the caliper out of view I put my finger in the perfectly wrong spot. Almost sheared it off. Not sure how to ad a picture but I took some. No clue after years of riding that this injury was even possible. Better keep my kids away from the discs. Bad owwy!!!

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 14:28 Quote
Thought I'd join the crew,,just got out of ER getting my finger tip sewn back on,,swapped forks on my wifes bike and was adjusting the caliper,,then Blam

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 15:44 Quote
been there done that a few months back.

just fitted new front disc brake and new rotor turned the bike upside down spun the wheel the pad was catching on the disc slightly stupidly forgot the wheel was still spinning and went to adjust it ever so slightly and my thumb got caught in the disc large chunk of nail missing and chunk out of my thumb didnt bother with A+E normally very busy dont want to be wasting there time just some ice and a bandage and few painkillers and lesson learnt.

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 17:59 Quote
Can't say I've done it with a disc but I've got a good one.

Always wrenched on my own bikes, even as a kid. When I was about 12, just got done changing a tube in the rear of my bmx bike. Well... hopped on the bike and realized I forgot to check my chain tension.

Reached down and felt the chain while ratchet pedaling. Damn good thing it was loose, because I still had half of two fingers hanging on instead of laying on the street.

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 6:34 Quote
I read 3 posts and that's enough for me.. never done it, dont plan on it.. lol

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 10:12 Quote
Damn millennials

Put your phones away and pay attention!

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 10:26 Quote
I've just discovered this thread and I think it may be my new favourite. lol lol

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 14:04 Quote
what the f*ck did i just read. if you are that accident prone that you almost cut off your finger in the rotor, you need a different hobby.

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 12:18 Quote
adrennan wrote:
what the f*ck did i just read. if you are that accident prone that you almost cut off your finger in the rotor, you need a different hobby.

Scrap booking maybe?

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 14:43 Quote
slope wrote:
adrennan wrote:

Scrap booking maybe?

Bit risky, there's scissors involved.

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 18:43 Quote
Good point.

We should probably get the parent's involved.

Posted: Jan 29, 2018 at 21:14 Quote
I blamed the wife...Not sure what she said because I have a selective hearing problem. But I was actually listening for some reason and turned my head...and this happened
silly disc

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 at 17:20 Quote
Gimmedatbooty wrote:
So I figured I'd post in here so you can all laugh at my stupidity. My wheel locking mechanism on my bike had come loose while riding and being the genius I am I decided to try and tighten it while biking because I was too lazy to stop. Needless to say even though I was going slowly this was an awful idea. Smile

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://postimg.org/image/k68az1pdd/
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://postimg.org/image/e3mh754z9/

You win dude! That looks a bit...painful

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 23:03 Quote
I joined today after getting out of ER. Thankfully, only my index fingertip was cutoff and not my middle finger or I would be able unable to communicate. We are the (amputated) tip of a large and dangerous iceberg. SHAME keeps most people from talking about what happened. There are many thousands of victims. There will be way more victims as disc brakes proliferate in the lower-end mass market bikes.

My tire was rubbing the fender so I stopped and turned it over to adjust it. I was turning my bike upright and the front wheel flopped unexpectedly as a mother talking on her cellphone while pushing a baby carriage walked in front of me. I instantly and instinctively reached out a hand to stabilize it. Not harming the inattentive mother or her child was my only concern, my own safety meant nothing to me.

The doctor at the ER concurred with the extent of the danger and commented that most victims were kids and senior citizens who for some reason stuck their finger in the disc brake hole while the wheel is turning. He appreciated my heroic explanation (see above). He was so moved he chuckled and rolled his eyes.

Manufacturer Alert: holes in disc brakes s/b too small to fit a finger especially in sub $1,000 dollar bikes that are mass marketed. It could be almost all of such wounds are from the FRONT wheel and if confirmed that part could be changed out in new production and sold as 'after market part' which would sell well just looking at my finger.

Facts: The wheel was barely rotating but the disc is so sharp it instantly severs the finger. Getting a finger stuck in the chain is trivial. Disc brake amputation is a run to ER with a serious and slightly disfiguring wound for life. Somebody will sue over it so it is best to make only small holes in disc brakes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029149
Mobile Version of Website