How To Paint Your Rims!! (PICS STEP BY STEP)

PB Forum :: Tutorials
How To Paint Your Rims!! (PICS STEP BY STEP)
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 21, 2008 at 20:42 Quote
MOD's you may want to sticky this.

Hey, ive seen many different people asking this so id make a threat about how I painted mine. Heres Step By Step on how I did it. These are just guidelines ive made, they do not have to be followed exactly, there are many ways of doing this! I didn't take apart my rim during this process, ill show you what to do so there is hardly no prep before the fun begins.

Supplies:
1 can of spraypaint. (your color choice)
1 can of clearcoat.
string (to hang your rim)
nail polish remover (to assist in removing your stickers)

Pre Step: Paint! Go to your local hardware store, id suggest purchasing a matt paint, because it sticks better then glossy paint. If you want a glossy final project make sure you purchase a gloss clear coat.

Step 1: Take any stickers off your rim so you are left with just the basic rim. To take off the stickers, I suggest using nail polish remover, just pour some on a cloth, and wipe it on and around the sticky crap left from the sticker, then push it into a big gooey pile and pull it off. Should come off in a clump.

photo

photo

Step 2: Tape off all spokes using masking tape, TIP: You don't need to tape the entire spoke, just from the nipple up to around the middle or 3/4 of the spoke.
Aswell, do a final wipe of the rim with a damp cloth to take off anything that may be left on the rim.

photo

Step 3: find a well ventilated area where you can hang a piece of string, stick it through the valve hole in your rim, and tie it up.
Make sure you have the rim centered around middle chest to shoulder hight for optimal spraying. Be carefull, make sure you have a tarp or an old blanket around your spraying direction as tiny spray paint particals will cover the direction you are spraying in as all the paint will not directly hit the rim.

photo

Step 4: START SPRAYING!! Make sure you do light coats! The smaller the coats, the better your rim will turn out. Many make this mistake and cover the whole rim in paint on the 1st coat! Your rim shouldn't be completely covered in your new color within the 1st 4-5 coats! There are many advantages to spraying lightly besides heavy coats. Firstly, light coats dry faster, so you can do a coat every 15-30 minutes. Light coats allow the paint to stick much better, allowing for a longer lasting job. Here is my finished rim drying up.

photo

Step 5: Clear coat! You got your choice between gloss or matt. Your choice, I used gloss but its entirely up to you. Don't have any pictures of this, it wouldn't show much as it only changes the "shine" of the rim. Clear coat is an important step, it basically hardens the paint and makes it last alot longer. Make sure you wait atlease 2 days before clearcoating your final product because the paint must fully cure before the clearcoat will work successfully. If you don't your paint will wrinkle and chip off eaisly.

My Final words are, spray carefully, remember, light even coats! But most of all Have fun! Painting rims and many bike parts can become quite a hobby. Since my front rim, I have painted the back rim, my bars and my stem, its easy to do, just follow the steps. Thanks for checking my thread and I hope it helps you guys out.

Posted: May 21, 2008 at 20:45 Quote
Finally! Thank you very very much!

Posted: May 21, 2008 at 20:47 Quote
thanks, i was going to do one of my S-Type sets, thinking of doing a solid undercoat, then a drizzle sorta thing over them in either blue or maroon.

Posted: May 21, 2008 at 20:55 Quote
I can build wheels, so I have a different approach I would take.

I would strip the rim, and send it to the powder coat shop.

Maybe we won't see so many pictures of painted over spokes and nipples now Smile

Posted: May 21, 2008 at 21:00 Quote
This made me smile, maybe this forum isn't doomed to suck after all. Thank you

Posted: May 21, 2008 at 21:01 Quote
What if you want to put the stickers back on after, any special trick?

Posted: May 21, 2008 at 21:04 Quote
sumas-shredder wrote:
You could try ordering them, but I have no clue why you'd want them...

Posted: May 21, 2008 at 21:05 Quote
Thanks for all the great replies! Im not to sure about putting the stickers back on, the rim I used was a single track, and when I peeled off the sticker, all the adhesive was left on the rim, so I guess you'd have to get some type of adhesive to re-stick the sticker to the rim. It'd be much more of a hassle than its worth. See if you could order the sticker or something, or just deck it out with some other stickers!

O+
Posted: May 21, 2008 at 21:05 Quote
photo

haha, i didn't remove the stickers. i just taped over them too, trimming around the edges with a razor.
photo

photo

photo

fork too!!
photo

Posted: May 21, 2008 at 21:08 Quote
That turned out great! looks like an awesome way to do it, scrap my idea.

Posted: May 21, 2008 at 21:12 Quote
DAMN!!! that is awesome, maybe i will do my fork up too, i was just going to go natural on it, but the gold flames look sic!

AqueousBeef wrote:
sumas-shredder wrote:
Meh, I don't know why but I just like having the stickers on for some reason

AqueousBeef wrote:

Personally, I like the look of wheels and tires with lots of logos/stickers on them.

As bad as it sounds, that's part of the reason I'm buying a set of Mag30's, they have the three sticker per side layout, so they look really fast when you're riding.

It's silly I know, but it's really just a bonus factor, I look at the technical side first.

Posted: May 21, 2008 at 21:25 Quote
You can do really cool designs and shapes on your rim using colored eletrical tape! It makes you look faster too! HEHECool

Posted: May 21, 2008 at 21:26 Quote
As long as it doesn't look bad at the same time.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015667
Mobile Version of Website