BMX vs DIRT JUMPER

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
BMX vs DIRT JUMPER
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 at 13:22 Quote
You could. Some don't work as well according to some. It will lower the BB height. If the BB height is over 13" with 26" wheels it will be fine. Lower than that you may not like how low it is with 24s.

Posted: Mar 18, 2010 at 1:58 Quote
BRRider wrote:
jumpbikejoe wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
the 24 vs. 26 is very controversial but for dirt jumping 26 will roll over rocks and dirt clumps easier giving you a smoother ride making it better imo.

However 24" is far stronger, lighter,faster acceleration and they just look cooler

24" are deffo stronger, but i haven't folded a 26" in 2 years, and i can be a hack sometimes... Mavic 729's they don't make them in 24's. The strength that you gain is unnecessary unless you are a crazy hack with todays 26" technology. Lighter obviously yes, but you don't lose that much (yes rotational weight blah blah, it's barely noticeable):
- Atomlab dj wheel front = 24" 884g / 26" 969g
- Atomlab dj wheel back = 24" 1119g / 26" 1239g
- Schwalbe tabletop folding = 24" 560g / 590g x 2
- hutchinson inner tubes 1.70-2.35" = 24" 170g / 26" 170 grams x 2
(http://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/acces-caa.php)

total weight saving front and back = 265g or .57 of a pound.
So about half a pound of weight saving on a set of wheels tires and tubes on a 24 inch rig, not much at all. Not to mention that 26 inch rims and tubes have better technology and engineering ie. Mavic Rims.
The acceleration comment is just stupid, you can change your gear ratios to achieve that. The same could be said about me saying 26" wheels have more top end speed, its nonsensical.
It seems like people don't actually know why they are choosing 24 over 26 and vice versa, just going off of trends in their area or what they heard.
I personally like being able to go into a shop and get a new tube if i need one especially with all the lightweight options available in 26 inch tubes (shops don't stock 24" tubes much here). I like and trust mavic wheels. I dislike the way 24 inch bikes and 24's feel. And i like when im riding stuff that is not perfectly smooth i don't notice it as much and am able to hold my line a little better. Sure 24's have their benefits but to say they are better is ignorant. There are reasons people ride (most people ride) 26's over 24's, i have personally gone over this before and educated myself about it, you guys clearly have not. But, 20's, 24's, 26's don't knock em till you try em

Sorry, i just find the 24s far easier to ride, and yes i did own 26s before. also 24s are more versatile, they can dirt jump, downhill, park, yes 26s may be able to ride park but the extra 2" makes them feel ginormous.

Posted: Mar 18, 2010 at 19:48 Quote
BRRider wrote:
jumpbikejoe wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
the 24 vs. 26 is very controversial but for dirt jumping 26 will roll over rocks and dirt clumps easier giving you a smoother ride making it better imo.

However 24" is far stronger, lighter,faster acceleration and they just look cooler

24" are deffo stronger, but i haven't folded a 26" in 2 years, and i can be a hack sometimes... Mavic 729's they don't make them in 24's. The strength that you gain is unnecessary unless you are a crazy hack with todays 26" technology. Lighter obviously yes, but you don't lose that much (yes rotational weight blah blah, it's barely noticeable):

So about half a pound of weight saving on a set of wheels tires and tubes on a 24 inch rig, not much at all. Not to mention that 26 inch rims and tubes have better technology and engineering ie. Mavic Rims.
The acceleration comment is just stupid, you can change your gear ratios to achieve that. The same could be said about me saying 26" wheels have more top end speed, its nonsensical.
It seems like people don't actually know why they are choosing 24 over 26 and vice versa, just going off of trends in their area or what they heard.
I personally like being able to go into a shop and get a new tube if i need one especially with all the lightweight options available in 26 inch tubes (shops don't stock 24" tubes much here). I like and trust mavic wheels. I dislike the way 24 inch bikes and 24's feel. And i like when im riding stuff that is not perfectly smooth i don't notice it as much and am able to hold my line a little better. Sure 24's have their benefits but to say they are better is ignorant. There are reasons people ride (most people ride) 26's over 24's, I have personally gone over this before and educated myself about it, you guys clearly have not. But, 20's, 24's, 26's don't knock em till you try em

Actually yes 24s DO offer better acceleration. All things equal, they offer less rotational mass and therefore are quicker. 26s would offer better top end as they offer less rolling resistance. Would you ever feel the differance? Doubt it.

Where you will feel the differance is gyroscopic effect. All things equal a 24 will have MUCH less resistance to movement inthe air making it feel more unstable, but wiping out the rear end will be easier. Even with your light weight tubes and a lighter rim (which is not much as the tires are still the heaviest part) the 26 will still be more stable and less flickable. If you think the rotational mass is not noticable than I really question how much or how well you ride, it is a BIG differance.

As for the strength of a 24 being unnecessarey unless you are a hack, I have seen better riders than you mash 20" rims. Strength is always good. Also aside from destroying wheels 26s are more flexy when pedaling and ripping bearms. You loose power with that flex, and I presonally don't like the feel. You may hold your line better but you do loose agility. Again this is all things equal sure a crap build on 24s will be flexy but a decent 24 will still be stiffer than a great 26.

If your LBS does not stock 24" tubes than I'd suggest finding a new shop. Every shop I know of keeps them on hand. I have even put a 20" tube on my 24. Talk about weight savings... As for most people running 26s and that being a reason, come on. Most people don't leave the ground but maybe that's why you like 26s better. You obviously don't like 24s and thats fine but you put out BS like that and call your self "educated" you have to know someone will "educate" you a tad more.

Posted: Mar 19, 2010 at 9:32 Quote
sorry i ment to quote that not copy it LMSO

Posted: Mar 19, 2010 at 10:31 Quote
whats the best type of dj piss pot helmet

Posted: Mar 19, 2010 at 13:22 Quote
ProTech uncertified. IMO.

Posted: Mar 20, 2010 at 3:03 Quote
ricar wrote:
BRRider wrote:
jumpbikejoe wrote:

I personally like being able to go into a shop and get a new tube if i need one especially with all the lightweight options available in 26 inch tubes (shops don't stock 24" tubes much here). I like and trust mavic wheels. I dislike the way 24 inch bikes and 24's feel. And i like when im riding stuff that is not perfectly smooth i don't notice it as much and am able to hold my line a little better. Sure 24's have their benefits but to say they are better is ignorant. There are reasons people ride (most people ride) 26's over 24's, I have personally gone over this before and educated myself about it, you guys clearly have not. But, 20's, 24's, 26's don't knock em till you try em

Actually yes 24s DO offer better acceleration. All things equal, they offer less rotational mass and therefore are quicker. 26s would offer better top end as they offer less rolling resistance. Would you ever feel the differance? Doubt it.

Where you will feel the differance is gyroscopic effect. All things equal a 24 will have MUCH less resistance to movement inthe air making it feel more unstable, but wiping out the rear end will be easier. Even with your light weight tubes and a lighter rim (which is not much as the tires are still the heaviest part) the 26 will still be more stable and less flickable. If you think the rotational mass is not noticable than I really question how much or how well you ride, it is a BIG differance.

As for the strength of a 24 being unnecessarey unless you are a hack, I have seen better riders than you mash 20" rims. Strength is always good. Also aside from destroying wheels 26s are more flexy when pedaling and ripping bearms. You loose power with that flex, and I presonally don't like the feel. You may hold your line better but you do loose agility. Again this is all things equal sure a crap build on 24s will be flexy but a decent 24 will still be stiffer than a great 26.

If your LBS does not stock 24" tubes than I'd suggest finding a new shop. Every shop I know of keeps them on hand. I have even put a 20" tube on my 24. Talk about weight savings... As for most people running 26s and that being a reason, come on. Most people don't leave the ground but maybe that's why you like 26s better. You obviously don't like 24s and thats fine but you put out BS like that and call your self "educated" you have to know someone will "educate" you a tad more.

I totally agree. I accidentally copied it rather than quoted it.:P

O+
Posted: May 3, 2010 at 20:03 Quote
ricar wrote:
BRRider wrote:
jumpbikejoe wrote:

Wow, i thought this thread was over with long ago. #1 i researched and rode both types of wheels and their benefits, and i used the term educated because i learned things, maybe not all there is to know but more than most.
2# you did not educate me at all, you just called me out about nitpicky Bullshit over the internet
3# I did not put out any BS, i listed weights and commented on the benefits/differences between the wheels. I simply stated to that to say any one wheelsize is better than the other is ignorant, it depends on what the individual wants/needs. If i was just a park or street rider i'd ride a bmx, but since i ride pedally trails/fr/dh/dj/park/street i like to keep it to one wheel size on my bikes.
4# Oh yes rotational weight. oh my. yes I am currently running superlight tires to save on rotational weight. I know it is important. But the difference in weights between the 26's and 24's are not that substantial. I could loose 500 grams by going from 26' krads to 26' smallblocks, which is double what i would be loosing if i just went to 24's. Yes the fact that the weight is further from center of the wheel is what makes most of the difference but between 24's and 26's i barely notice the different feel of the gyroscopic effect between the two wheel sizes.
That being said yes 24 inch bikes are easier to spin and flick around then 26's, you don't need to repeat yourself i gave no inclination that i did not understand this. However if you only ride street and really need to spin fast all the time ride a bmx that simple... it makes a 24 feel like a wet noodle when spinning and even more so to a 26". I am mostly a dirt rider though and i don't need to spin any faster over a 15' double with a vert lip. Whipping 90 is also easy as pie. I don't feel the need to make spinning or whipping/twhipping easier. If you can't handle a 26" in the air Ricar and need your 24's to ride at the same level on some sizable jumps your either a midget or a weakling. A friend of mine just switched from 24's to 26's after almost a full season, and his dirt riding did not get worse he actually progressed even more than he had been on the 24's.... Maybe it was because HE liked the way HIS bike felt better. Yes i realize the benefits of 24's and having ridden proper 24" bikes i have to say i just don't like the way they feel. That's my opinion. not trying to convert anyone and not saying 26's are better.

5# Smaller wheels are stronger wow, no shit eh. Anyone could destroy a 20 inch wheel. Give me one day on a solid perfectly tensioned 20" wheel and i could blow it to pieces. But i'd have to do something really wrong... underspin/overspin, case, smash, land on... Ie. be a hack. Yes a 26 will fold easier on a underspun 180 down a 7 set. But then you underspun it... you hacked it. i'm 180 pounds and I've hacked alot of tricks, even landed on my wheel with my foot once. My 26's are still straight as an arrow after 2 years. If you have at least a little bit of skill and maintain your wheels you shouldn't have to worry about the strength of your 26's.

6# Why the personal jabs about how i ride, and whether or not i hit jumps or saying that i'm a crappy rider or thinking you know how skilled i am. Why the hell do you care? Super immature man. That being said I'm not a pro level rider, but i have a feeling that I'd make your crusty old ass look like you just got your training wheels off on some dj's unless you can post something up other than a 5 year old abubaca on a 1 foot tall rail to refute that statment.

I have no beef with you, so i don't know why you have beef with me. I accept and agree about the benefits of different wheel sizes, its still preference and subjective feeling though which really matters... try everything (if you can) and ride what you like so you can have as much fun as possible. It's not about o i need to ride 24's so i can become pro faster because i will be able 3 hop a bit easier. Don't be a 37 year old talking crap on the internet about bicycles, just take it easy and enjoy bicycle riding for as long as you can.

Posted: May 8, 2010 at 11:34 Quote
Over the last 5 years I have had 2 knee surgeries 1 kid and 2 houses. Sorry if I can't ride like I used to. Now I dig more than I ride and anyone who rode COX when I built most of the stuff out there knows I can do that too.

Why the personal attack? Well when you post crap like your LBS not carrying 24" tubes, it makes me think you are shopping at a road bike shop. Not to mention your comment on the acceleration "is just stupid" which is an attack in itself is it not? You also say you don't notice a differance between 24s and 26s which I also find hard to belive unless they are set up way wrong. IE, a really light 26" VS. a heavy 24". As far as not being able to handle a 26", I guess not. I must be too weak after all I feel quite attacched to my balls and like them where they are. Just yesterday I buzzed them on my 24s. When I rode 26s I nailed them all the time. I guess 28 years on a 20" gave me a bad riding style. My only problem with you, and with ANYONE so don't take it personal, is posting crap. Your comment on having to be a hack to trash 26" wheels. I have seen guys demolish 20" rims with one mistake. Not just street guys, they trash everything. I mean super SMOOTH BMX racers that were winning in pro class races. I see no point to 26" rims and that's my opinion. There are MANY guys out there better than I have ever been on 26" wheels. That's fine with me. Get out and ride your biks and I don't care what you ride. Just don't post stupid things like this bike is better cuz I said so. Or post things that are just plain wrong. By all means put up what you ride and why you like it, fully respectable. Better yet toss some specs and why you like them. And like BRRider says "don't knock iem till you try em" . Personally I like 20"ers best. I just can't ride them anymore. I went to 26" and couldn't stand the bike I had, and was not impressed by others I rode. I settled on 24s. That's my experience. If your's is different GREAT! let me know why, just keep it factual.

Posted: May 8, 2010 at 20:55 Quote
ricar wrote:
Over the last 5 years I have had 2 knee surgeries 1 kid and 2 houses. Sorry if I can't ride like I used to. Now I dig more than I ride and anyone who rode COX when I built most of the stuff out there knows I can do that too.

Why the personal attack? Well when you post crap like your LBS not carrying 24" tubes, it makes me think you are shopping at a road bike shop. Not to mention your comment on the acceleration "is just stupid" which is an attack in itself is it not? You also say you don't notice a differance between 24s and 26s which I also find hard to belive unless they are set up way wrong. IE, a really light 26" VS. a heavy 24". As far as not being able to handle a 26", I guess not. I must be too weak after all I feel quite attacched to my balls and like them where they are. Just yesterday I buzzed them on my 24s. When I rode 26s I nailed them all the time. I guess 28 years on a 20" gave me a bad riding style. My only problem with you, and with ANYONE so don't take it personal, is posting crap. Your comment on having to be a hack to trash 26" wheels. I have seen guys demolish 20" rims with one mistake. Not just street guys, they trash everything. I mean super SMOOTH BMX racers that were winning in pro class races. I see no point to 26" rims and that's my opinion. There are MANY guys out there better than I have ever been on 26" wheels. That's fine with me. Get out and ride your biks and I don't care what you ride. Just don't post stupid things like this bike is better cuz I said so. Or post things that are just plain wrong. By all means put up what you ride and why you like it, fully respectable. Better yet toss some specs and why you like them. And like BRRider says "don't knock iem till you try em" . Personally I like 20"ers best. I just can't ride them anymore. I went to 26" and couldn't stand the bike I had, and was not impressed by others I rode. I settled on 24s. That's my experience. If your's is different GREAT! let me know why, just keep it factual.
+1

Posted: Aug 31, 2010 at 12:25 Quote
26" front suspension would be the best for comfort and saving the wrists on cases or crashes

Posted: Sep 24, 2010 at 19:17 Quote
I've been bmxing for 2 years and I recently bought a 26" DJ and I find it a lot harder to spin and throw around. I can't decide which I like better.

FL
Posted: May 29, 2011 at 8:53 Quote
Yeah I got a bmx like 2 years ago, and have been riding all stuff on it, dirt, park even some xc and downhill, and ive ridden my mates dj bike and its soo smooth, and ever since i got the bmx i wondered if i should have got a dirt jumper instead but yer, i just bought a 2nd hand custom blackmarket riot and its sickk, sooo frikkin smooth well ive only ridden street on it but yer i love it and i might sell my bmx now just depends how it goes, but the only problem is my marzochi dirt jumper 1's are way too stiff so does anyone know how to soften them ??

Posted: May 29, 2011 at 16:31 Quote
gutkrencher wrote:
you should use seach.

if youre into riding trails then a bmx is what you should ride. however some people find them a little twitchy. if you ride proper trails you should go for a 20" or a nice compact 24" mtb (bmx cruisers are filth). 26" wheels should stay on the dh tracks and round xc routes, theyre just not as good as 24" for riding trails for very obvious reasons

You cant say 26 wheels should stay on dh tracks and xc routes. 26's are great on dj's too. Some of them are even designed to be ridden off of mounds of dirt called dirt jumps. Hence the name dirt jumper. This guy wants to feel comfortable and stable in air which 26's provide. That is a bold statement to make.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.041109
Mobile Version of Website