BMX vs DIRT JUMPER

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
BMX vs DIRT JUMPER
Posted: Aug 15, 2013 at 5:13 Quote
Reading through this the issue is both bmx and MTB have gotten more twitchy so a current rigid MTB rides like an old school bmx. I say build up a stable trails bmx and you have your best bet.

Posted: Aug 15, 2013 at 7:57 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
Reading through this the issue is both bmx and MTB have gotten more twitchy so a current rigid MTB rides like an old school bmx. I say build up a stable trails bmx and you have your best bet.
i agree and mtb costs more

Posted: Aug 23, 2013 at 0:09 Quote
murraydmr wrote:
bmx is more of a challenge which makes them funner and smoother as they're rigid, and on a mtb it so much easier

bmx is a tonne easier than mtb man! rigids help you get so much more air! mtb is also much harder to throw the bike around because of the size.

Posted: Aug 23, 2013 at 18:18 Quote
Kbone wrote:
I know this topic has been beaten to death and I searched but none of the threads gave me the answer I'm looking for. I've been bmxing for about 8 years but I haven't been on my bike in the past 2. I'm getting back into it but now that I'm older and have a lot of responsibilites I can't afford to get hurt anymore, I want to take it easy at the dirt jumps. No more big tricks, I plan on just doing what I know and cruising the 6 packs.

My question is, would I be able to launch as high as I can on a bmx? Or should I say would it be just as easy or easier. I can see dirt jump bikes being a lot smoother and more forgiving especially on the wrists. I would love to go out and try it for myself but none of my friends have dirt jumpers that I could borrow. if anyone has any personal experience, if you've done both bmx and mountain bike dirt jumping any info would be great. I should add that it'll only be used for dirt jumps and trails. I have my bmx for street.

PS: What would be better 24" or 26" and why?
Just get a 26 dirt jumper. I know it's been 5 years but maybe you still haven't decidedlol

Posted: Aug 23, 2013 at 18:20 Quote
Kbone wrote:
I know this thread is done but thought I would do an update. I did get a 26", picked up a devinci district 1. I find it easier to clear jumps but harder to boost higher in the air. The suspension hasn't really benefited me yet as I'm so use to being extremely careful and smooth with my landings on bmx, I forget I don't have to be as smooth on the dirt jumper. One thing I'm having an issue with is my ass rubbing the rear tire haha. On a bmx I'm use to tucking so low I'm within inches of the tire, I'm not sue to the 26" on the rear. At the end of the day I have black marks on my ass.
Never mind. Someone just end this thread

Posted: Oct 17, 2013 at 18:47 Quote
26" is the way to go my freind its just soo much smoother and soo much less sketch than 20 or 24"

Posted: Oct 18, 2013 at 4:22 Quote
FYI he has probably decided it's been 5 years....

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 17:57 Quote
I say go with the bmx, it may just be me but a dirt jumpers geometry just feels so small and you tower over the bars so it feels really unstable. The bmx is easier to move around and control, but the dirt jumper is a lot easier on the body and you don't feel much on jumps compared to the bmx

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.040022
Mobile Version of Website