How much does your bike shop charge for trueing a wheel?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How much does your bike shop charge for trueing a wheel?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 23, 2008 at 22:50 Quote
My rear Halo SAS wheel had a few loose spokes and my bike shop said it was $24 to true it.

Just wondering how much other shops charge.

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 22:53 Quote
what a f*ckin rip off mine charges 16$ each but i still think that is to much

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 22:57 Quote
learn to do it yourself and it's free. it's pretty easy to do.

mine charges $6 a wheel .

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 23:02 Quote
$10+ depending on how much of a hack you are.

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 23:12 Quote
$10-15 + $1 per broken spoke

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 23:14 Quote
$15 + $1 per broken spoke.

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 23:19 Quote
dmadness wrote:
learn to do it yourself and it's free. it's pretty easy to do.

mine charges $6 a wheel .

I have asked so many times but nobody can every really tell me how to do it.

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 23:23 Quote
I don't know why it's so complicated...

Just put a zip tie on the frame, make it nearly touch the rim while spinning the wheel, find the spot that isn't straight, adjust the spokes accordingly, spokes going to the left flange pull the rim left... same for right flange pulls right, helps sometimes to also loosen the opposite flanges spoke so the direction you're trying to pull doesn't get too tight.

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 23:24 Quote
Borgschulze wrote:
I don't know why it's so complicated...

Just put a zip tie on the frame, make it nearly touch the rim while spinning the wheel, find the spot that isn't straight, adjust the spokes accordingly, spokes going to the left flange pull the rim left... same for right flange pulls right, helps sometimes to also loosen the opposite flanges spoke so the direction you're trying to pull doesn't get too tight.

Yeah I know how to do that, but what about all the complicated 1/4 turns and stuff?

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 23:26 Quote
make small adjustment's ( 1/4 turn ) most people will tell you, you need a wheel stand.. this is B.s. you can easily make a mount or just use your bike frame as a guide. Spin the wheel and adjust the spokes on the side closest to the imperfection as well as the opposing spokes ( one's on the other side )

Learn on a pos. bike so that if yo totally skrew up it doesn't really matter.

a good way to learn is to go to your shop in the spring and Watch them build wheel's, it's the same kinda procedure. Get them to show you, and offer to build a couple of wheel's for free, for them and you'll gain experience.

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 23:30 Quote
dmadness wrote:
make small adjustment's ( 1/4 turn ) most people will tell you, you need a wheel stand.. this is B.s. you can easily make a mount or just use your bike frame as a guide. Spin the wheel and adjust the spokes on the side closest to the imperfection as well as the opposing spokes ( one's on the other side )

Learn on a pos. bike so that if yo totally skrew up it doesn't really matter.

a good way to learn is to go to your shop in the spring and Watch them build wheel's, it's the same kinda procedure. Get them to show you, and offer to build a couple of wheel's for free, for them and you'll gain experience.

Thanks for the advice, next time my wheel gets out of true I'll try to do it myself. $24 is just too much.

Posted: May 24, 2008 at 18:14 Quote
Usually $10-12, this bike shop is a one man operation, great mechanic, good deals, everything you could ask for

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 16:27 Quote
how can i fix my rim?
theres a hop in it.
i just put it together and its straight but it hops???

anyone know a place in mississauga or near mississauga that does cheap wheel builds?

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 16:30 Quote
i get it done for free Smile
free maintenance for a year! YAY!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009766
Mobile Version of Website