is it safe to use this fork

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
is it safe to use this fork
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 21:35 Quote
you really dont need a zip tie on the stantion

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 21:47 Quote
so most banks require you to be 18years old, is your bank called, Mr.Magicchaosriderswhothinkshe'sponsoredandbreaksixyearoldforksdoingdropstoflat's dad?

Razz

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 22:04 Quote
-the-ultimate-cyclist- wrote:
are you shure it would just snap though because the other leg isnt cracked at all

are you serious? really? you fork is cracked all the way around and you really have to ask if its safe to ride on bro? use your head dude!

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 23:11 Quote
Well I guess that with the new forks, good ones at that, you'll be cool for awhile. If I see that these are broken, Dude somethings wrong. Service and inspect your forks regularly Dude- old forks or not! Good luck.

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 0:24 Quote
i don't think pikes will last very long with all those drops to flat though, seriously. i had a pike 454 coil and it blew through all its travel quite easily with the stock spring. it's an all-mountain trailbike fork that can be used for lighter duty dj and street, but if you're a hack who likes drops to flat, then it'll blow out on you.

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 0:26 Quote
i wouldnt try to fix it, just get a cheap one off ebay for the race, then save some money to get a new fork

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 7:30 Quote
Finally man you got a decent fork! But i would have gone for a more freeride/dh single crown, maybe domain,66 or something along those lines.

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 8:12 Quote
yeah do you know if it is possible to buy stiffer springs for them because i almost bottomed it dropping a 3 set

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 8:31 Quote
yeah do you know if it is possible to buy stiffer springs for them because i almost bottomed it dropping a 3 set

lol yea you can but pikes have compression adjustment, just make it more stiff(using the blue knob)

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 8:34 Quote
This thread is awesome, I was laughing the entire time I was reading it. I really don't know what to say, haha.

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 8:35 Quote
-tom wrote:
This thread is awesome, I was laughing the entire time I was reading it. I really don't know what to say, haha.
awesome

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 8:45 Quote
giantbikerjordan wrote:

lol yea you can but pikes have compression adjustment, just make it more stiff(using the blue knob)

that's low speed compression. it has NO effect on how the pike compresses on drops whatsoever. only the lyric, totem and whatever forks with Mission Control (not Motion Control) have high speed compression adjustment.

and yes you can buy a stiffer spring, i'd recommend the firm or extra firm spring for you, argyles come with x-firm springs, pikes come with medium springs. try out an argyle to see if you like the x-firm spring, because i love mine. i only use 3/4 of the travel going off a 6-set, nose heavy!

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 9:27 Quote
creamsoda89 wrote:
giantbikerjordan wrote:

that's low speed compression. it has NO effect on how the pike compresses on drops whatsoever. only the lyric, totem and whatever forks with Mission Control (not Motion Control) have high speed compression adjustment.

and yes you can buy a stiffer spring, i'd recommend the firm or extra firm spring for you, argyles come with x-firm springs, pikes come with medium springs. try out an argyle to see if you like the x-firm spring, because i love mine. i only use 3/4 of the travel going off a 6-set, nose heavy!

ohh kk my mistake.
But still wont low speed compression make it stiffer?

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 9:32 Quote
giantbikerjordan wrote:
creamsoda89 wrote:
giantbikerjordan wrote:

ohh kk my mistake.
But still wont low speed compression make it stiffer?

only when you pump the fork or pedal... it helps pedal bob and stuff. not for high speed hits, that activates a different compression circuit that isn't adjustable by the motion control damper.

i was fooling around with my pike at the skatepark doing fly-outs of the quarter, i had a zip tie on the stanchion. on the softest setting i'd nearly bottom it, on the lockout setting i still nearly bottomed it, and everywhere in between.

the thing is, high speed compression gets harder with the force that gets put in... the harder your hit, the more resistance the damper will put out to compensate, to a point. so you could near-bottom the fork off a 3-set and also near-bottom the fork on the same setting, off a 6-set. of course, there is a limit to that though, and 6 foot drops to flat is probably it.

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 9:39 Quote
EDIT: f*ck it, the guy before me explained it way better.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.151301
Mobile Version of Website