XC/All Mountain/Light Freeride Bike Suggestions

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
XC/All Mountain/Light Freeride Bike Suggestions
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 at 9:58 Quote
oryte have you had a look at the marin wolf ridge or the norco six one the marin is a good all rounder/do it all bike

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 5:48 Quote
I just got this Giant Reign XO for £1000 , new it is £2800

The reviews say it is an absolutely amazing bike, and perfect for what your asking. "Bringing a new definition to all mountain " Smile

photo

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 12:55 Quote
The Reign X0, Reign and Trance X Giants are all great bikes and are priced well. I've riden all 3 recently. You didn't say how much you want to spend but the new Trance X4 is 1500.00. You might get it for less if your LBS is slow and wants to put some money in the till.

Posted: Jan 10, 2009 at 14:21 Quote
Bought a giant reign about a month ago.
Best all round bike ive ever owned and most fun too........

Posted: Jan 17, 2009 at 10:26 Quote
buy a titus motolite..I BUILT A sweet bike for 2700.00 got the frame from speed goat with a fox talus fork rp23 rear shock and cane creek headset for 1695. the baught a build kit xt for 1000.00 great deal

Posted: Jan 17, 2009 at 13:35 Quote
I have really good luck with my 06 Specialized S-Works Enduro. Really light and great parts. I got it in 07 on clearance for $4300 and added a DT Swiss/Chris King wheelset, E13 bashguard, straitline levers, protuned the fox goodies, Easton carbon bars, specialized MagII flats, and a raceface D2 stem. I use it for everything from dirt jumps to street stuff and XC and a trail called lower whoops here in Bend. Some day I'll be worthy of the bike Smile soon it'll have a Chris King headset and bottom bracket, Saint crankset and it'll be done.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 8:46 Quote
brad79 wrote:
I think the Kona Coilair series is at the more extreme end of the freeride spectrum, while the Specialized fsrxc bikes are at the cross country end. So there is a very broad range there. My personal opinion is that if you think you will be riding more agressively (and given your dh/dj background I would say that is a safe bet) you should look more towards the specialized enuro series, Norco fluid LT's or Six's of the coilair's.

Agree with Enduro.
Try also Giant Reigns - all pretty light and very versatile.
I put the Talas 36 on my Reign and the bike can do anything from XC to light FR keeping the weight low at 30lb (13.5kg).

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 10:09 Quote
Orange make the best bikes in the world - and the five is a good lighweight am or xc bike depending on how you spec it (or which model you buy)http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/2009bikes/bike.php?model_id=101
You might not be able to get them easily in Canada tho....

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 15:53 Quote
kovaldesign wrote:
brad79 wrote:
I think the Kona Coilair series is at the more extreme end of the freeride spectrum, while the Specialized fsrxc bikes are at the cross country end. So there is a very broad range there. My personal opinion is that if you think you will be riding more agressively (and given your dh/dj background I would say that is a safe bet) you should look more towards the specialized enuro series, Norco fluid LT's or Six's of the coilair's.

Agree with Enduro.
Try also Giant Reigns - all pretty light and very versatile.
I put the Talas 36 on my Reign and the bike can do anything from XC to light FR keeping the weight low at 30lb (13.5kg).

interesting. i'm looking at a new frame which will recieve my 36 talas. i'm 205lbs with gear and want something for 3-4hour agressive trail rides that will stand up to what ever trouble we find on the way. the reign only runs a 32mm QR fork and i was put off by that cause i'm worried if i try "light FR" the bike wil explode under me cause most brand design their bike lines around the average 160lbs rider.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 16:29 Quote
evo8 wrote:
Orange make the best bikes in the world - and the five is a good lighweight am or xc bike depending on how you spec it (or which model you buy)http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/2009bikes/bike.php?model_id=101
You might not be able to get them easily in Canada tho....

Funny, I just had a guy in here looking to replace his bike with a Reign X because his Orange, I didn't pay attention to the model but I'm pretty sure he said 5, is so lousy to pedal its become unbearable for him to ride up even the easiest climb in the region.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 16:35 Quote
I went for this. Just finished it this evening. Just awaiting some Maxxis highroller tyres and deciding whether to keep the DHX coil or go for the DHX air. Gonna try both and sell the one I dont use.
Weight as you see it here. Bang on 34 pounds.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/carlb4/SP_A0171.jpg

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 16:40 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
... the reign only runs a 32mm QR fork and i was put off by that cause i'm worried if i try "light FR" the bike wil explode under me cause most brand design their bike lines around the average 160lbs rider.

Only the 2009 Reign 2 runs a regular QR since it has a marzocchi bomber 44 on it. The Reign 1 and 0 both have Fox's new QR15 set up. Giant doesn't put a weight limit on any of their frames. Just accurately define what you consider light free ride and that will help your retailer put you on the right class of frame.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 16:50 Quote
davemud wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:
... the reign only runs a 32mm QR fork and i was put off by that cause i'm worried if i try "light FR" the bike wil explode under me cause most brand design their bike lines around the average 160lbs rider.

Only the 2009 Reign 2 runs a regular QR since it has a marzocchi bomber 44 on it. The Reign 1 and 0 both have Fox's new QR15 set up. Giant doesn't put a weight limit on any of their frames. Just accurately define what you consider light free ride and that will help your retailer put you on the right class of frame.

not that i do them, but for impact/stress loading clarity say a 6ft drop to flat on dirt

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 17:03 Quote
It shouldn't be a problem if your suspension is set up properly for that kind of use. If set up correctly the suspension absorbs the impact if you know how to launch and land properly.

You're generally only going to run into problems with any appropriate bike/frame if your suspension is set up too soft for your biggest hits and you do a lot of harsh bottom outs. Bottom out as I'm sure you're aware when the full force of the impact is transfered from the suspension to the frame and/or fork.

The other thing we all should keep in mind is if you know the landing to be flat or otherwise less than ideal maybe you don't want to be riding that/those jumps and just stick to the properly designed and built jumps... of course if you are hitting jumps without knowing what the landing is like... well...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.033406
Mobile Version of Website