XC/All Mountain/Light Freeride Bike Suggestions

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
XC/All Mountain/Light Freeride Bike Suggestions
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 17:17 Quote
davemud wrote:
It shouldn't be a problem if your suspension is set up properly for that kind of use. If set up correctly the suspension absorbs the impact if you know how to launch and land properly.

You're generally only going to run into problems with any appropriate bike/frame if your suspension is set up too soft for your biggest hits and you do a lot of harsh bottom outs. Bottom out as I'm sure you're aware when the full force of the impact is transfered from the suspension to the frame and/or fork.

The other thing we all should keep in mind is if you know the landing to be flat or otherwise less than ideal maybe you don't want to be riding that/those jumps and just stick to the properly designed and built jumps... of course if you are hitting jumps without knowing what the landing is like... well...

yeah i know drop to flat uncool
but just wanted to use it as a comparison for the type of hits/impacts i'd hope the frame would handle.

i'm not the cleanist of riders when it comes to gnar so i dont want to have pivots flogging out over time, bits twisting out of whack, things flexing all over the place. i dont go doing crazy stuff but if i did feel confident in my ability do something i dont want to be second guessing my equipment

thanks for the helping tips

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 18:08 Quote
the 09' Specialized SX Trail II frameset is made of the same M5 aluminum as my S-Works, so it should be super light and super strong. the fact that it's intended purpose is slope style is very comforting. I talked to a guy that said is was rated so big your weight couldn't break it without dropping it out of a plane. something around 20,000 lbs. it is the newest version of my 06 and my bike climbs like a dream, standing or sitting. i have a 36 talas RC2 and a dhx5 air with an emphasis on strength in the spec. and it's barely over 30lbs. i use it for dirt jumps and street and everything else. my riding weight is around 230

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 18:10 Quote
i just got a price on the SX II frameset at $1850 with a dhx 5 coil and a thomson elite seatpost

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 17:17 Quote
evo8 wrote:
Orange make the best bikes in the world - and the five is a good lighweight am or xc bike depending on how you spec it (or which model you buy)http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/2009bikes/bike.php?model_id=101
You might not be able to get them easily in Canada tho....

can i check if you have an email to orange?
i've looked all over their website, can't find it...

really like the alpine and the 5, i'm out in singapore, tryin to find out if they can deliver direct here.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 7:00 Quote
cro-amigo wrote:
trek remedy

Another great choice. Because you are buying used, I would try and find a decently priced nomad; however, treks new remedy line up is impressive. The Remedy 8 (around 3300 new) comes equiped with the new SLX, RS Lyrick fork and an RP23 which features full floater and abp. C'ant go wrong.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 11:27 Quote
KonaManDan wrote:
cro-amigo wrote:
trek remedy

Another great choice. Because you are buying used, I would try and find a decently priced nomad; however, treks new remedy line up is impressive. The Remedy 8 (around 3300 new) comes equiped with the new SLX, RS Lyrick fork and an RP23 which features full floater and abp. C'ant go wrong.

yeah man remedy`s are nice you can ride every thing with it(accept extreme dh/fr ,street)im planinig on buyin one in the spring...waiting for reviews from some poeple on 09 remedys!...o yeah cam mc`caul rides slope with it(i think), so thats a +,il trie to find some vids of a remedy in freeride action...zzz

Posted: Jan 29, 2009 at 17:03 Quote
I think the best bike you can get is the Yeti 575 it is great in all conditions.

Check out the review of the Yeti 575 on www.mtbiking.ca

Posted: Jan 29, 2009 at 17:07 Quote
heckler would suit you (very tough), unless you want more travel

Posted: Jan 29, 2009 at 17:26 Quote
me2menow wrote:
hecklers are lame

Posted: Jan 29, 2009 at 17:30 Quote
poozank wrote:
me2menow wrote:
hecklers are lame

Don't start this nonsense please and thank you.

Posted: Jan 29, 2009 at 17:31 Quote
i wouldn't hesitate for a second to get the trek remedy. pedals and is light enough for any XC riding you'll be doing save competitive racing, is stout enough to push around without worrying about breaks, and the geometry is comfortable for some jumping. the best all around bike out there in my opinion

Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 4:43 Quote
gerbers wrote:
i wouldn't hesitate for a second to get the trek remedy. pedals and is light enough for any XC riding you'll be doing save competitive racing, is stout enough to push around without worrying about breaks, and the geometry is comfortable for some jumping. the best all around bike out there in my opinion

im signing this

Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 6:56 Quote
davemud wrote:
poozank wrote:
me2menow wrote:
hecklers are lame

Don't start this nonsense please and thank you.
why get a heckler when you can get a vpp,mastreo, or fsr, and abp when you look at the other offerings for the sam price the heckeler does not measure up. and your welcome

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022084
Mobile Version of Website