BMX vs. MTB for DJ

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
BMX vs. MTB for DJ
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: May 27, 2008 at 13:26 Quote
Hey All,

I know this is a tired debate, but it is one that I have not followed nonetheless. I also searched, but didnt find anything really specificly answering what I am wondering.

I just ultimately want ALL your opinions on jump specific BMX vs. jump specific MTB.

What in your experiences are the main differences, advantages, disadvanteges, etc. to each.

I currently ride a 02 Norco Two50 built specifically to jump (except 26" not 24"). I have been debating getting a DJ specific BMX (probably keep both bikes), but I am reluctant as to whether or not it will be worth it (both in, will the difference be worth me owning two bikes, as well as would I just prefer not to have a bmx at all?). I am fairly green to BMX, my only experiences being very cheap dept. store models when I was younger, so I really do not know much about riding a "good" bmx.

I hope this will not turn into another useless argument. I just want to gain a little better understanding of the differences and pros and cons for each....

let the animosity begin (hopefully just kidding)....

Posted: May 27, 2008 at 13:43 Quote
having owned many bmx's and both 24" and 26" mountain bikes i can't see any advantage in running a MTB for dirt jumping

if you look at the world's best dirt jumpers, they all ride bmx, and bmx dirt jumping completely kills MTB dirt jumping in terms of both tricks and style

right tool for the job, it's that simple

very little to break, much lower maintenance, lighter too (typically 23-24lb) and way more choice of components, way more nimble which means more tricks, more style, more chuckability...

the only reason to run a mtb would be a slopestyle type course where you have rougher ground and timber stunts, otherwise there is no single advantage to using a MTB for dirt jumping

some people say "my back hurts when i use a bmx" or "I am too big"...you toughen up very quickly riding a bmx (old proverb : don't fight with bmx riders) and alot of the bmx pro's are 6 foot+ so its a case of choosing the right frame / bar setup if you are bigger

if you look at the recent Nissan Quasquai finals in London, a good bmx rider would have killed that course and put all the competitors to shame Wink

Posted: May 27, 2008 at 13:45 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
having owned many bmx's and both 24" and 26" mountain bikes i can't see any advantage in running a MTB for dirt jumping

if you look at the world's best dirt jumpers, they all ride bmx, and bmx dirt jumping completely kills MTB dirt jumping in terms of both tricks and style

right tool for the job, it's that simple

very little to break, much lower maintenance, lighter too (typically 23-24lb) and way more choice of components, way more nimble which means more tricks, more style, more chuckability...

the only reason to run a mtb would be a slopestyle type course where you have rougher ground and timber stunts, otherwise there is no single advantage to using a MTB for dirt jumping

some people say "my back hurts when i use a bmx" or "I am too big"...you toughen up very quickly riding a bmx and alot of the bmx pro's are 6 foot+ so its a case of choosing the right frame / bar setup if you are bigger

if you look at the recent Nissan Quasquai finals in London, a good bmx rider would have killed that course and put all the competitors to shame Wink

this guy is 100 percent right listen to this(ps i ride MTB so im not byist)

Posted: May 27, 2008 at 13:53 Quote
Having ridden both i definately say bmx. They're harder to break, More flickable and they teach you ride with so much more flow than a mountain bike

O+
Posted: May 27, 2008 at 13:56 Quote
wow. i didnt anticipate such a one sided result, even if it has only been a few minutes!

Posted: May 27, 2008 at 14:03 Quote
bmx. i almost always ride my mtb because i'm old and crusty and it seems to be more comfortable for me, but that's lame. yesterday i thought i would change it up and brought out my redline flight cruiser to take to the jumps. wow, it was like comparing a sports car to a pickup truck. my exact words to my son was my mtb felt like sitting at home on the sofa.
watching mtb dj'ing looks clunky compared to bmx'rs. no matter how great the rider is, still has that akward look to it.
if all you had before is dept store bmx bikes, you're in for a surprise. do yourself a favor and get the bmx. spend between $200 - $400 for a good bike and i guarantee you'll be better off in the long run even if you do switch over later to mtb. all those skills you'll develop on the 20" will make you a much better mtb'r.

Posted: May 27, 2008 at 14:04 Quote
Have ridden both, and must say BMX.

Posted: May 27, 2008 at 14:12 Quote
i agree. i used to ride bmx, and did mostly dirt jumping with it. i then eventually switched to mtb hardtail, and the change was quite radical, but after a while i adapted. I recently realized, i like dirt jumping and over all riding much more on a bmx then a mtb. I find when dj'ing with a bmx, it is much easier to flow with the jumps, control movement in the air, and it is easier to prevent casing. i am actually considering selling my mtb right now, and switching back to bmx. The riding is just so much more fun

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 16:40 Quote
i have to agree with you guys, but what if the trail of jumps youre riding is rougher? i find that for bmx, the jumps need to be almost perfect. if you ride in an area that is almost always being ripped up by kids/weather, mtb is better. its just my opinion

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 17:55 Quote
well it depends.
i find dirt jumping better with a mountain bike and find bmx twichy.
but i owuld like to try a nice bmx on the djs some time.

FL
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 18:04 Quote
Depends on your jumps. If they are clean and fairly smooth than BMX. If they are rocky and stuff MTB.

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 18:11 Quote
Good luck doing Whistler on a BMX! I mean Whistler isn't just dirt jumping, but I mean, nothing beats doing trails with jumps to hit. Mountain Biking is more flexible on what you can do, then what you can do on a BMX!

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 19:13 Quote
Bryce92 wrote:
Good luck doing Whistler on a BMX! I mean Whistler isn't just dirt jumping, but I mean, nothing beats doing trails with jumps to hit. Mountain Biking is more flexible on what you can do, then what you can do on a BMX!
this isnt about slopestyle/freeride, dude. its about DIRT JUMPS. like, 6 packs and shit

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 19:43 Quote
Exept there ARE dirt jumps in slope style comps. This is really a useless thread, No offence. The point is what do YOU like better? What do you want to ride? Sure if you want to win a game of bike (don't know where that came frome as we always played horse) then BMX is best. They are the quickest type of bikes out hands down. They do take some concentration though and some natural ability helps. Well natural ability helps alot.. I have seen guys that were not too good on MTBs switch to BMX to try to get better. They sell their MTB and sink all the money into a nice BMX scare the crap out of themselves and start riding street. You have to know what you want, MTBs are much smoother and faster, and pretty much jump themselves. BMX takes some concentration, but there are rewards. I have a small MTB on 24s, it's no BMX but it's still fun even though I can't 360 hop on the MTB.

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 23:51 Quote
rockymountianflow wrote:
well it depends.
i find dirt jumping better with a mountain bike and find bmx twichy.
but i owuld like to try a nice bmx on the djs some time.

i agree with you, on bmx if youre not used to it and are dirt jumping at first the bike seems super twitchy in the air, like it seems to whip itself out and it takes a while to gain style and flow on jumps, however once u do its definetely worth it

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008424
Mobile Version of Website