BMX vs. MTB for DJ

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
BMX vs. MTB for DJ
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 0:03 Quote
Bryce92 wrote:
Good luck doing Whistler on a BMX! I mean Whistler isn't just dirt jumping, but I mean, nothing beats doing trails with jumps to hit. Mountain Biking is more flexible on what you can do, then what you can do on a BMX!
i agree, lets ee a bmx do the boneyard in whistler or even better the hell track in nwd2/3
it has its pros and cons on both sides so all of these mtb vs bmx threads are pointless, go with what you like better, i prefer a mtb because its my everything bike, i do dh, dj, street, freeride and so on

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 22:20 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
having owned many bmx's and both 24" and 26" mountain bikes i can't see any advantage in running a MTB for dirt jumping

if you look at the world's best dirt jumpers, they all ride bmx, and bmx dirt jumping completely kills MTB dirt jumping in terms of both tricks and style

right tool for the job, it's that simple

very little to break, much lower maintenance, lighter too (typically 23-24lb) and way more choice of components, way more nimble which means more tricks, more style, more chuckability...

the only reason to run a mtb would be a slopestyle type course where you have rougher ground and timber stunts, otherwise there is no single advantage to using a MTB for dirt jumping

some people say "my back hurts when i use a bmx" or "I am too big"...you toughen up very quickly riding a bmx (old proverb : don't fight with bmx riders) and alot of the bmx pro's are 6 foot+ so its a case of choosing the right frame / bar setup if you are bigger

if you look at the recent Nissan Quasquai finals in London, a good bmx rider would have killed that course and put all the competitors to shame Wink

i have to disagree with when you say the best dirt jumpers ride bmx, Cam McCaul, Ben Boyko, John Cowan and many more are probably the best dj's and they all ride mtb

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 23:25 Quote
Connor-Bolton wrote:
hampsteadbandit wrote:
having owned many bmx's and both 24" and 26" mountain bikes i can't see any advantage in running a MTB for dirt jumping

if you look at the world's best dirt jumpers, they all ride bmx, and bmx dirt jumping completely kills MTB dirt jumping in terms of both tricks and style

very little to break, much lower maintenance, lighter too (typically 23-24lb) and way more choice of components, way more nimble which means more tricks, more style, more chuckability...

the only reason to run a mtb would be a slopestyle type course where you have rougher ground and timber stunts, otherwise there is no single advantage to using a MTB for dirt jumping

some people say "my back hurts when i use a bmx" or "I am too big"...you toughen up very quickly riding a bmx (old proverb : don't fight with bmx riders) and alot of the bmx pro's are 6 foot+ so its a case of choosing the right frame / bar setup if you are bigger

if you look at the recent Nissan Quasquai finals in London, a good bmx rider would have killed that course and put all the competitors to shame Wink

i have to disagree with when you say the best dirt jumpers ride bmx, Cam McCaul, Ben Boyko, John Cowan and many more are probably the best dj's and they all ride mtb
they are good, but there isnt really a comparison, bmxs are easier to flick around, but i still see crazy stuff in comps like 1080s and quad whips, and a mtb, especially a slopestyle bike, weighs more and is longer, and lance mcdermott used to ride bmx, now he rides mtb and he's one of the elite few who can frontflip a mtb, and 360 hand plant

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 23:44 Quote
Connor-Bolton wrote:
hampsteadbandit wrote:

you can't really compare a bmx djer to an mtb djer.. an mtb is big, squishy and stable in the air. its great for grab tricks and all that stuff (nocans, supermans etc) but a bmx is far more maneuverable and twitchy, far better for spinning/flipping/tailwhipping. ever seen an mtb do a frontflip tailwhip?

i ride mtb personally because i'm not big on doing tricks, the terrain where i live isn't bmxable really, and on bmx i just dont feel comfortable. it's all up to your style and personal preference

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015122
Mobile Version of Website