Packing bike for flight

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Packing bike for flight
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 31, 2008 at 10:51 Quote
Is it best to have a cardboard box or a bag? Hard case is out of the question. I reckon a bag will be easier to carry, which is a plus!
What's the best method of protecting the bike? Bubble wrap? Pipe lagging?

How have you done it in the past is basically what i'm asking here.

Posted: May 31, 2008 at 11:16 Quote
RideNorco wrote:
Is it best to have a cardboard box or a bag? Hard case is out of the question. I reckon a bag will be easier to carry, which is a plus!

Well you pretty much knocked off the safest method. If you want to keep your bike the safest I would invest in a bike bag.

Posted: May 31, 2008 at 12:27 Quote
zune wrote:
RideNorco wrote:

Well you pretty much knocked off the safest method. If you want to keep your bike the safest I would invest in a bike bag.

I'm sure a hard case is the safest, but i just can't afford it. I'm a poor student Frown

Posted: May 31, 2008 at 12:50 Quote
RideNorco wrote:
zune wrote:
RideNorco wrote:

I'm sure a hard case is the safest, but i just can't afford it. I'm a poor student Frown

well then I would say the safest method would be Cardboard box. With maybe a smaller box inside it or something, and a crap load of Bubble wrap.

Good luck.

Posted: May 31, 2008 at 12:54 Quote
big bike box.duct tap over all the corners and lots of fragile stickers.when you pack it take wheels off and make sure disks face inwards.bubble wrap each part seperatly and once you packed the box with parts pack it will clothes,paper to pad it out.

Posted: May 31, 2008 at 12:58 Quote
scsracing wrote:
big bike box.duct tap over all the corners and lots of fragile stickers.when you pack it take wheels off and make sure disks face inwards.bubble wrap each part seperatly and once you packed the box with parts pack it will clothes,paper to pad it out.

it always seems that they treat"fragile" objects the worst....

Posted: May 31, 2008 at 13:34 Quote
I've heard if you 'pad' it with cans it seems more fragile, so the baggage handlers take more care. Either that or just write a heart felt note, or perhaps a wee bribe slipped in.

Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 9:06 Quote
what do people do to protect chain stays(so they dont get bent in)? and also forks?

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 9:10 Quote
take your front wheel off.. BUT throw your axle in there and tighten it all up! for the rear, throw a block of wood where the axle should be.

OR buy another plain ticket and sit your bike next to u! haha

Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 9:13 Quote
knobzy wrote:
take your front wheel off.. BUT throw your axle in there and tighten it all up! for the rear, throw a block of wood where the axle should be.

OR buy another plain ticket and sit your bike next to u! haha

Good idea, i'll cut a piece of wood 135mm and sitck it in there. just a small bit cheaper than another plane ticket.
Thanks for the quick reply

Mod
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 9:47 Quote
Invest in the right equipment in order to keep your cherished ride in pristine condition and to protect it from the baggage handler's wrath.

photo

Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 9:52 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
Invest in the right equipment in order to keep your cherished ride in pristine condition and to protect it from the baggage handler's wrath.

What would you use for the chain stays and fork??

Mod
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 10:00 Quote
The hard shell cases really don't require anything extra other than what is included in the travel case. It comes with thick foam to help insulate the bike from extreme blows that it may encounter. As a precaution, you can wrap the stanchions with bubble wrap to protect them or use a light packing foam that comes in flexible sheets. As for chainstays, anything wedged in between them will work. Normally, an axle will suffice. You have to remember that anything you put in a travel case will increase the weight. Hard shell travel cases empty weigh nearly 20 pounds. With today's airlines being anal about weight since they burn more fuel, they will charge you and charge you a lot! I mean your bike and case can easily weigh over 70 pounds when fully loaded.

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 at 13:37 Quote
Reviving the topic...

What about the wheels? How should I pack them?? I wrapped everything with bubble wrap, but I can't figure out what I'll do with the wheels to protect them. My friend took his wheel in a flight and had 3 broken spokes. I don't want it.

What should I do?

Buying a hard case is out of my mind (not enough money)

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 at 14:09 Quote
pack everything into a bike box.. usually that will involve a free box from your LBS

front wheel comes off, pedals come off, rear wheel stays on, loose stem and turn stem and bars. Also take out seat post. The front wheel will sit next to where your cranks are. Bubble wrap the important spots. Zap strap everything together. and call it good.

all else fails. Ask your LBS if they can take a new bike out of a box for you to have a peek at how its done.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011961
Mobile Version of Website