Cable Cam Project

PB Forum :: Biking Videos
Cable Cam Project
Posted: Apr 5, 2010 at 21:02 Quote
Cmontjumper wrote:
Well I think an easier thing would to buy a spool of metal cable and then get a come-along I think it's called. It's like a winch operated by a lever that you crank. You just hook it up to the cable and a tree anf with the other end of the cable to another tree as tight as you can. Then you crank the winch to make it tighter. Then put a harness on and hook it up to the cable with a pulley and off you go, full manuiverability with the camera and it's fun! Hang some towels on the end of the line and have your friend put some gloves on and pull a rope(that is directly attached to you) to slow you down.
correct, and thats exactly what me and my friends are doing

Posted: Apr 5, 2010 at 21:08 Quote
ilikebikes1 wrote:
Cmontjumper wrote:
Well I think an easier thing would to buy a spool of metal cable and then get a come-along I think it's called. It's like a winch operated by a lever that you crank. You just hook it up to the cable and a tree anf with the other end of the cable to another tree as tight as you can. Then you crank the winch to make it tighter. Then put a harness on and hook it up to the cable with a pulley and off you go, full manuiverability with the camera and it's fun! Hang some towels on the end of the line and have your friend put some gloves on and pull a rope(that is directly attached to you) to slow you down.
actually i just thought of it if you just attach a figure 8 descender used for rappelling to you and run a rope from the top through the descender you could just use that as a brake which can be done easly with one hand so you can get shots where you may need to pause in one spot for

Posted: Apr 5, 2010 at 23:18 Quote
ilikebikes1 wrote:
ilikebikes1 wrote:
Cmontjumper wrote:
actually i just thought of it if you just attach a figure 8 descender used for rappelling to you and run a rope from the top through the descender you could just use that as a brake which can be done easly with one hand so you can get shots where you may need to pause in one spot for

Better idea, but how are you planning to tension the cable? You need literally tonnes of force to keep it tight if a person will be going down it. Hell, I need about 150kg of force to tighten my rope for a 3kg cable cam on long distances...

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 at 0:55 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
ilikebikes1 wrote:
ilikebikes1 wrote:

Better idea, but how are you planning to tension the cable? You need literally tonnes of force to keep it tight if a person will be going down it. Hell, I need about 150kg of force to tighten my rope for a 3kg cable cam on long distances...

how about if you do something to the rope at the point where you'd want to slow down so the unit rolls slower at that point? not exactly sure how that could be done though...

perhaps you could control it by hand with a fishing line or something attached to the unit. you could let it go for a while and then when you want it to stop just pull the trigger on the reel to stop the line, and then let go when you want it to roll again.

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 at 13:23 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
ilikebikes1 wrote:
ilikebikes1 wrote:

i would tension the cable with a come-along

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 at 13:25 Quote
frolosophy wrote:
SpikeX wrote:
ilikebikes1 wrote:

how about if you do something to the rope at the point where you'd want to slow down so the unit rolls slower at that point? not exactly sure how that could be done though...

perhaps you could control it by hand with a fishing line or something attached to the unit. you could let it go for a while and then when you want it to stop just pull the trigger on the reel to stop the line, and then let go when you want it to roll again.
i dont think that would work very well just because the braking would be very sudden but if you are just gunna use a little cart that i would just use another rope or twine or something not fishing line

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 at 13:33 Quote
yeah, i considered that. maybe just a separate pulley on one end of the cable and attached to the cam that you can just loosen off by hand.

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 at 13:34 Quote
yeah we will have to make some rigs up and take em out and test them but hey i got my insurance today so we can just throw them in the back of my van and go try em out

Posted: Jul 28, 2010 at 13:18 Quote
hey i have worked in the film industry for seven years on cablecam rigs. Everything from custom high budget to low budget. We mostly do 3D rigs now but have I set up over a hunfred A-B with elevators/tie back. I have just gotten way into biking past couple years and spend my summers in Squamish, BC. If any one wants some help or info drop me a note as I am keen to see what people are up to. You can either contact me on pinkbike or on my email. rmitrovich@hotmail.com
Cheers, Russel.

Posted: Oct 24, 2010 at 12:18 Quote
sx-sam wrote:
What sort of knot should u use around the tree? I think i'll get a rchet strap as WOOWOO said in another thread, cos that sounds like a good idea. And anyone got any good braking systems?
big ass spring

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 at 9:12 Quote
This is the one I made, planing to add a up and down tilt mechanism,

Any ideas on how to make it more stable, still a bit shakey?Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac22/Peterwest94/DSC03333.jpg

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 at 12:43 Quote
UnisaurProductions wrote:
This is the one I made, planing to add a up and down tilt mechanism,

Any ideas on how to make it more stable, still a bit shakey?Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac22/Peterwest94/DSC03333.jpg

tighten that rope up so much it nearly breaks, are there any leaves near the rope if there are get rid of 'em

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 at 16:03 Quote
Unisaur, you want to use fixed pulleys with a cable cam. Those loose pulleys won't be very stable and will start vibrating when the rig moves down the line.

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 at 3:46 Quote
here the first pic´s and vid of my selfmade radio controlled GoPro cable cam - with brushless motor

my selfmade GoPro HD cable cam radio controlled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyEOttqo0eA&hd=1

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 at 2:11 Quote
Great rigs you all, I'm in a process of building my own, I'll report here with the results!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.040241
Mobile Version of Website