Iron Horse Sunday SIZE ??

PB Forum :: Downhill
Iron Horse Sunday SIZE ??
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 12:43 Quote
I am about to buy an 08 Sunday.
But I am still Iffy on which size frame to get...
I am 6'1 185 pounds pretty proportional measurments.
I am told by my buddy to get the 19in

But I have made the mistake of getting a bike a little to big before and am thinking that maybe I should go with the 17in as where I might be able to throw it around a little easier.
Any opionons thanks. I am pretty new to the whole Downhill stuff but am totally intrested and need some help. Thanks...

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 12:51 Quote
Look here:
http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/faq/2007/10/q-how-do-i-determine-correct-size.html

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 12:54 Quote
6'1, you could get a medium but buy a large. i have an 08' too, love it. i am 5'10 and ride a medium.large is good for anyone 6 foot or over, depends what you like though.

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 12:56 Quote
I have seen the sizing chart. But I have heard of a few people going down a size from what most manufactuer charts have told them and liked it better than what the chart said they where supposed to ride. Im mostly looking for opinions rather than statistics. Cause everyones personal preference is different.

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 12:57 Quote
Ive always ridden bmx. Probably for the last 10 years now. So any MTBike is gonna feel bigger than what im used to. I like to go fast but I also like a bike I can throw around alot easier.

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 12:57 Quote
what do you pefer?

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 13:01 Quote
i'm 6'0, and i absolutely hate high seats (though i love long top tubes). i don't know why, but i just don't feel like i can maneuver the bike as well with a high seat as i could with a lower seat; it seams to just get in the way. That just me though, i know loads of people like longer seat tubes, and even raise their seats (all my bikes have slammed seats all the time, even for trail riding) so they can sit on them. I never touch my seat (for sitting at least) while down hilling so i can survive with a short seat tube.

my suggestion is take whichever frame matches the geo of the best/most comfortable dh frame you've ever ridden, you'll probably like that one the most.

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 13:02 Quote
eh, a medium may do. its perfect for me. i came from a bmx backround too

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 13:46 Quote
I havn't really Downhilled that much. I have done more freeriding if anything. So it may just be what I am used to so far. But yeah I hate the high seat post as well, and I am pretty sure i can get a medium ond get an extended stem if it feels to short, Right?

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 15:13 Quote
hey I had the same problems when I was searching for a new bike im 6'1 too, when I seached for the ironhorse sizing I found this post..its now a little bit old but if you update it im sure you can have some good feedback.. http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129932

good luck

just like that I heard that Duncan Riffle ride a medium and he's 6'3 so im sure is not that bad

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 15:54 Quote
Mucho Gracies. (I suck at spelling)

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 19:29 Quote
For me those sizing charts on the Iron Horse site were bogus.

I'm 6 feet and I bought a medium (17") 2008 7 point, it was too big. I sent it back for a small (15") which is still a tad big for me, but it feels much better than medium and I'm sticking with the small.

I've always preferred mini frames though... If I was 6'1" I would still go with a small Sunday.

The wheel base on the medium Sunday is a bit longer than the medium 7 point. I think at 6'1" a medium should be fine for you, but it's obviously up for you to decide.

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 19:35 Quote
if you want to go really fast, a longer wheelbase will be more stable, but if you want a quicker handling, flickable bike, smaller is better. if you're used to BMX then having a smaller bike probably wouldnt be so bad.

just go to a lbs and ride a couple different sizes around the lot.. get a feel for what size you think would be best

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 1:21 Quote
I'm 6ft 4 and ride a large. Perfect size. Rode a mates 17 and it feels sooo small2 cents

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 2:01 Quote
timemachinedream wrote:
Ive always ridden bmx. Probably for the last 10 years now. So any MTBike is gonna feel bigger than what im used to. I like to go fast but I also like a bike I can throw around alot easier.

I was the same. Spent years on a bmx, now I prefer smaller MTBS. Im 5'10 and I run a small socom and it feels good. Im sure a medium would be great too, but the small is fine.

US pro rider Duncan Riffle is 6'2 and he uses a med sunday for the reason that he can be more agressive on a smaller bike. A longer frame will always be more stable, but I like to be able to man-handle my bike and throw my weight around over it, having a smaller frame makes that a lot easier.

But it's all preferance.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010227
Mobile Version of Website