Is there anything i should know before going to whistler?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Is there anything i should know before going to whistler?
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 at 0:01 Quote
i'll say that you should look BEFORE you leap as there are some pretty big features at whistler, don;t write yourself off.

Bring extra EVERYTHING. tires, brake pads etc. cause it's more expensive there and you can save money by doing repairs yourself.

put some SERIOUS dh tubes in your tires also.

and Double Wrap it.... nuff said ( remeber you are in a tourist area )

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 at 1:06 Quote
Enjoy the trails but be aware of people who are riding faster and be kind enough to pull over and let them by. We all think we are fast but there is always some one there that shoots past so quick that you start to wonder if you know what you'r doing. Other than that rip it hard and try not to get whiplash from all the great "scenery" walking around!

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 at 13:38 Quote
well i live in aptos and i am driving to whistler. so probaly around an 18 drive!

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 at 13:39 Quote
dmadness wrote:
i'll say that you should look BEFORE you leap as there are some pretty big features at whistler, don;t write yourself off.

Bring extra EVERYTHING. tires, brake pads etc. cause it's more expensive there and you can save money by doing repairs yourself.

put some SERIOUS dh tubes in your tires also.

and Double Wrap it.... nuff said ( remeber you are in a tourist area )

haha double wrap!

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 at 13:47 Quote
Remember that there is lots of rock everywhere, so even if you don't think you'll get flats, you will. Trust me. So either bring lots of $$ for extra tubes, or just pump your tires to 30+ and should be ok. Most all the trails are really good for a decent rider, but there are a few DH trails like Schlayer, Joyride and Detroit Rock City that can catch you off guard. There are live bears everywhere, and they will literally rip your face off. But if you're about 10 feet away, they don't even notice you. And last bit of advice, don't go to the Old Spaghetti Factory with a party of 8 cause it'll take two hours for them to seat you.

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 at 13:51 Quote
cool I live in soquel when are you planning on going?

Also I dont know if you are renting but if you are get the insurance. My Friends brother (most likely bad luck) got 5 flats broke a chainguide and bent his cranks.

I can tell you that shipping your bikes are going to be really expensive last time we went it cost a crapload of money and because of some incident at the border we never got our bikes. We are going to be driving up and even with gas going to be at 5 dollars a gallon it will be way cheaper (just a pain in the ass).

Lastly there are lots of rocks so you will get flats if you dont pump up your tires enough. On A-line there is a gay rockgarden that ive gotten flats on

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 at 21:04 Quote
I'll be there June 20 to the 28. I am bringing my own bike.

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 at 21:08 Quote
hardrock101 wrote:
are you retarded? Whisters pretty much the most famous bike park in the entire world right now.

wow someone obviously does not know what sarcasm is

Posted: Jun 10, 2008 at 7:30 Quote
cool yeah I am going during crankworx unintentionally (August 10-18 ) we dident check when it was going to happen. If you are bringing your own bike definetly drive because when I shipped my bike they lost them for a month after we got back from our trip and then when I got my bike it had a huge scratch and my bashguard was bent into my chainring

Posted: Jun 10, 2008 at 7:48 Quote
nlitworld wrote:
Remember that there is lots of rock everywhere, so even if you don't think you'll get flats, you will. Trust me. . . . pump your tires to 30+

This is wrong. Many trails are not rocky at all, period, we did EVERY trail there (missed a green or two) last summer. Schlayer is not bar at all, a suprise drop or two, but Detroit Rock city is what it says, rock city. Also, DO NOT pump to 30+ unless it's super dry and you are riding techy rocky sections, especially if you are riding up in Garbanzo, you'll need a bit of traction 'cause it stays wet for a while.

nlitworld wrote:
There are live bears everywhere, and they will literally rip your face off.

This is BULL S**T, while there are many bears, in six days of riding we came across three, and one was a bear that wandered into the village around dinner time (holy crap that was huuularios . . . it was like godzilla!!!) There are may 'Bear Aware' signs and education about how to deal with them is all over the place too, just respect them.

nlitworld wrote:
And last bit of advice, don't go to the Old Spaghetti Factory with a party of 8 cause it'll take two hours for them to seat you.

. . This, it true. But damn, talk about some good sauce.

Have a great time man, see you July 4-12th. Stoooooooked!!!!

Posted: Jun 10, 2008 at 7:50 Quote
DONT HOLD BACK GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!

Pimp Pimp Pimp Pimp Pimp Pimp Pimp Pimp Pimp Pimp

Posted: Jun 10, 2008 at 12:14 Quote
sirflipalot wrote:
nlitworld wrote:
Remember that there is lots of rock everywhere, so even if you don't think you'll get flats, you will. Trust me. . . . pump your tires to 30+

This is wrong. Many trails are not rocky at all, period, we did EVERY trail there (missed a green or two) last summer. Schlayer is not bar at all, a suprise drop or two, but Detroit Rock city is what it says, rock city. Also, DO NOT pump to 30+ unless it's super dry and you are riding techy rocky sections, especially if you are riding up in Garbanzo, you'll need a bit of traction 'cause it stays wet for a while.

nlitworld wrote:
There are live bears everywhere, and they will literally rip your face off.

This is BULL S**T, while there are many bears, in six days of riding we came across three, and one was a bear that wandered into the village around dinner time (holy crap that was huuularios . . . it was like godzilla!!!) There are may 'Bear Aware' signs and education about how to deal with them is all over the place too, just respect them.

nlitworld wrote:
And last bit of advice, don't go to the Old Spaghetti Factory with a party of 8 cause it'll take two hours for them to seat you.

. . This, it true. But damn, talk about some good sauce.

Have a great time man, see you July 4-12th. Stoooooooked!!!!

First off, I do tend to need 30+ psi in my tires. The last several times I had 2+ flats each day I was there, because I insisted on running 28psi. That is a LONG walk down from the midpoint to the bottom. After I tried running 31psi, I never had a flat again. Just make sure you have a good tire choice for the conditions. Also, if you go in June, there are a lot more bears out than in August. I saw probably 15-20 bears up there last year in late June. A few were blocking the exit to D.R.C. and the entrance to Heart of Darkness. Talk about creepy when you come ripping out of a trail and look 5' up the hill to an angry momma bear, and 5' down the hill to her cubs. Best get moving out of there FAST. Anyways, those were just my experiences with my trips up there.

Also, make sure to hit a couple shuttle runs on the Shore on the way through N. Van. CBC is always a classic.

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 at 8:24 Quote
longviewjunkie wrote:
you should know that whistler is not very much fun. there's not much riding up there, there are very few good looking girls, the trails are pretty boring, it's always cold.......

buddy your a dum f*cking shit you dont even know what mountain biking is there is hot blondes everywhere in bikini's and u should grow a pair and go in the cold and if u think its boring you should check your f*cking pulse to see if your still alive!!!

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 at 14:46 Quote
p3dirtjumper wrote:
longviewjunkie wrote:
you should know that whistler is not very much fun. there's not much riding up there, there are very few good looking girls, the trails are pretty boring, it's always cold.......

buddy your a dum f*cking shit you dont even know what mountain biking is there is hot blondes everywhere in bikini's and u should grow a pair and go in the cold and if u think its boring you should check your f*cking pulse to see if your still alive!!!

i don't even know how to respond to that Big Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019032
Mobile Version of Website