Manitous canada rep. trident.....BS?

PB Forum :: Other
Manitous canada rep. trident.....BS?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 15:53 Quote
So i bought an 06 travis in july of this year, i lost the reciept and then the forks intrinsic dampner has a huge problem so i send it in for what i thought would be a warranty repair, it comes back 3.5 weeks laterMadder and i have a bill thats cost me $130, so i was like alright i will pay it, and then talk to manitou after. I get a hold of the U.S. reps. which were amazing to me, they then give me the trident reps email, i give them an email he basically says f*ck off if you dont have a receipt for your fork, so i said alright then, what about my fork not being fixed and me having to pay $130 he says oh well either deal with it or send it back to us we will fix it for free but you have to pay for shippingReally Mad now im pissed, this guy is as stubborn as f*ck....do you think this is fair of Trident(manitou)? i told this a*shole i will never buy a manitou fork again thats just my 2 cents

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 15:59 Quote
Manitou continues to be a baffling clusterufck.

Posted: Oct 17, 2007 at 8:37 Quote
WHAT!!! the only rep in canada is in bc.... ughhhhhhh that means if i want to get my sherman a over haul i gotta save up alot more..

yeah i would do it any ways sure yourout money cause shipping but hey least there willing to fix it

Posted: Oct 17, 2007 at 8:40 Quote
yeah but it should have been fixed the first time dont you think?

Mod
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 at 8:56 Quote
Its not a great situation for sure. As far as warrantys go, its absoluetly neccesary that a reciept be included so I can't really blame Trident for not fixing it under warranty. One thing you could have done would be do get that shop where you bought it to print you off a new invoice, that is done often as long as the shop knows it was bought there less then a year ago and you are the original owner. Besides all that it doesn't change the fact that your fork does not work still. Box it back up and poltely suggest that they issue a pickup tag so that the shipper will come direct to you (or the shop may be better) and pick it up on their coin. Include the reciept that you got from the first rebuild. Another option would be to get Trident to send the shop the parts you need. Travis forks are pretty simple inside and more then likely they could look after it for you. This would be your quickest option I imagen.

I use a Manitou Travis with TPC+ inside and it is by far the best and most controlled fork I've ever used. I'm not sure if TPC parts are still available and/or retrofitable but if so then I would reccomend doing that. Hope this helps.

Posted: Oct 17, 2007 at 9:00 Quote
yeah this guy im dealing with is a total douche if i may say for the least, he is very very stubborn, I dont understand why this fork wasnt fixed in the first place, and now they want me to pay more shipping so they can work on it again, thats total bs, it should have been fixed right the first time

Mod
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 at 9:19 Quote
Can you describe the problem you are having with the Travis??

Posted: Oct 17, 2007 at 9:22 Quote
on the downstroke its nice and clean but as soon as it returns it makes a little clunk and slows down on the upstroke, its like a topping out feeling, when i sent it back they said they FIXED it but its still the same

Mod
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 at 9:30 Quote
Ok, I may know what that is. If the "clunk" is happening as soon as the fork begins to rebound (and not topout ie. full extension) it is most likely a slightly tight seal on the cartridge itself. I know it doesn't feel like it but that "clunk" is actually the damping rod changing directions/breaking free when it passes through the seal. I am not 100% as I've only seen this problem on TPC forks, not Intrinsic.

Also, it could be the Intrinsic valve itself that you are feeling. Alot like how some Fox shocks make a little clunk in their stroke sometimes. Its the valve opening and closing.

Posted: Oct 17, 2007 at 9:35 Quote
i wouldnt care if it was making sounds but was working good but its making sounds and it is making the performance crap, i know its not called topping out im saying the sound and feeling of it is best described as a top out feeling.

Posted: Oct 17, 2007 at 12:06 Quote
kakah wrote:
I use a Manitou Travis with TPC+ inside and it is by far the best and most controlled fork I've ever used. I'm not sure if TPC parts are still available and/or retrofitable but if so then I would reccomend doing that. Hope this helps.

this is my experience as well, i run a tpc+ Travis, and the springs are interchangeable from intrisic to TPC+ I think, so it may be worth looking at swapping all the internals.
I have ridden both versions, and the Intrinsic sucks in comparison to a properly set up TPC+ IMHO.

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 12:21 Quote
You are not the only one who has had problems with Trident - I now ship anything to/from a friends place south of the border that would have otherwise gone to Trident.

A little recollection of my most recent experience with Trident:

I was planning for a fall bike trip last year and was starting to feel a tick at the top of the rebound stroke, so knew it was time to rebuild my rear shock. Trident is the OEM service rep, so I tried calling them. They wouldn't even talk to me about it - they will only deal with a business. I ended up calling them back from my LBS and going through the problem with them using the shop owner as an intermediary - an unnecessary waste of time. I sent the shock to Trident through my LBS for rebuild (last September), about 8 weeks before a my trip. It took more than a month to get the shock back. I immediately reinstalled it and went for a ride. The entire volume of the oil in the shock ended up on my bike frame / rear tire after it leaked out the rebound adjuster. Had the shop send it back to Trident - I included a clear description of the problem in the box with the shock. By this time, my trip was too close so I purchased a new shock just in case (good thing!). My original shock did not make it until near Christmas. By now the snow was on the ground, but I figured I better test it out to be on the safe side. Installed the shock and pumped the rear suspension - guess what? The shock immediately oil started dripping out of the rebound adjuster onto the floor as soon as I pumped the suspension. Boxed the shock back up and took it to my LBS for a third trip to Trident. Shock finally came back in the spring - this time working, but Trident is now trying to bill my LBS for $65 in labour charges for the last trip there (it sounds like the original rebuild receipt was misplaced between the second and third trips to Trident). Even though Trident needed three cracks at the job, and the shock was never away from them for more than a few days over a 8 month period, they are expecting to be paid more "for their trouble". I might have been able to forgive them for screwing up once, but buggering it a second time after being told exactly what the problem was, then failing to even test the shock (twice) before returning it is unacceptable and then rubbing salt in the wound by browbeating my LBS to pay (more) for their screw-ups is, to me, unbelievable!

The other side of the coin:

This past summer I sent out another shock for servicing to Push Industries in Loveland, Colorado. I mailed it out from Ontario and had them return it to a friend's place in Minnesota to avoid the potential cross border hassles. The folks at Push were very pleasant and knowledgable to deal with on the phone and the shock was back in 1 weeks time, functioning great. Final cost, after shipping was ~$30 less than Trident.

With customer service like Trident's it is a real wonder they are still in business. They will never see any of my business again and I am happy to spread the word...

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 14:15 Quote
nanda wrote:
This past summer I sent out another shock for servicing to Push Industries in Loveland, Colorado. I mailed it out from Ontario and had them return it to a friend's place in Minnesota to avoid the potential cross border hassles. The folks at Push were very pleasant and knowledgable to deal with on the phone and the shock was back in 1 weeks time, functioning great. Final cost, after shipping was ~$30 less than Trident.

With customer service like Trident's it is a real wonder they are still in business. They will never see any of my business again and I am happy to spread the word...

It's stories like yours that have led me to conclude that I will never buy Manitou again. I'm a devout Fox fan, and Push are awesome too, as are MOJO in the UK. Fox and it's affiliates have thier shit together. I think that's why you pay a little (or a lot) more for Fox.

Posted: Jun 4, 2009 at 18:07 Quote
GONG SHOW

Mr Smith -

I talked with you last friday on the phone and you said my fork (a blue dorado) was being worked on as we spoke, and that it would be sent that day. You were recalcitrant and curt to me, which is hardly the way to address a client who has gone out of their way to talk to you directly regarding the status of a repair.

I spoked with Dunbar Cycles today (Thursday), and they told me that you "hadn't had time to open the box yet."

What, precisely, is going on here?

My fork has (supposedly) been with you people for 2 and a half weeks, and you still haven't got around to anything, yet you lie to me when I inquire as to the timeframe of this repair?

Needless to say, this is aggravating, insulting, and a ridiculous waste of my time. I expect the fork to be finished ASAP-- as in TOMORROW. If not, I will come and pick it up from you directly and send it somewhere else.

Do not feel obliged to reply to this email, just get the repair done immediately.

Thanks in advance for your compliance,

- Jeremy McDaniels

Posted: Jun 4, 2009 at 18:30 Quote
Trident and Manitou are just swell to deal with aren't they... I guess they belong together. No wonder OGC dropped Manitou for Fox, lol. I've had my share of their incompetence and will never buy another one of their products again. GO BOXXER 2010!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.075269
Mobile Version of Website