Diabetic Riders

Posted: Mar 22, 2016 at 5:04 Quote
Too rare, but a good feeling for sure.

Posted: Mar 28, 2016 at 20:27 Quote
phatplat wrote:
I'm on my second endo in three months. The first was a dope and thought my riding was excessive. The second thought I was a dope and literally - gave me a nutrition coloring book. No kidding. Then he asked, "do you remember the four basic food groups from when you were a kid?" The deal breaker was when he said I should limit my "sweets" to just 150 to 200 calories a day.

Dude...do I look like I need a Snickers?

Posted: Mar 28, 2016 at 23:13 Quote
Quitou wrote:
phatplat wrote:
I'm on my second endo in three months. The first was a dope and thought my riding was excessive. The second thought I was a dope and literally - gave me a nutrition coloring book. No kidding. Then he asked, "do you remember the four basic food groups from when you were a kid?" The deal breaker was when he said I should limit my "sweets" to just 150 to 200 calories a day.

Dude...do I look like I need a Snickers?

So... Did you finish the coloring book?? Coloring is very relaxing. Stress often raises blood sugar. He obviously knew what he was doing. lol

Posted: Apr 2, 2016 at 21:27 Quote
Alright...gotta'nuther question for you gurus. I've been feeling pretty spry lately and went for a solid 4 hour ride at a pretty good clip. Being as unsure as I am about this T1 thing I tested myself about every hour. I was a little low from time to time, but a little intake of food remedied that and I felt pretty good the entire ride. My levels all day have been within my target range.

However.

I tested my ketones and I registered at "moderate." I've been trying to hydrate a tad more.

How concerned should I be with "moderate" levels of ketones? I've probably been a tad low on my carb intake.

What do you think?

Posted: Apr 2, 2016 at 23:30 Quote
Ketones of any type are a serious indication that your levels have gone a skew somewhere, what do you mean by a little low ?? had you drank anything that was sugar prior to the ketone test ?? and is there any chance the test strip was defective or contaminated ? although odd, the body can release glycogen at times of need, combined with carbohydrate intake that can ramp up and yield ketones quickly, but usually ketones are a sign of either rapid glucose metabolism or long term rise or instability.

the short answer.
you should be concerned with ANY amount of ketones, ketones are what destroy your body internally. Salute

Posted: Apr 3, 2016 at 17:11 Quote
dmadness wrote:
Ketones of any type are a serious indication that your levels have gone a skew somewhere,

the short answer.
you should be concerned with ANY amount of ketones, ketones are what destroy your body internally. Salute
Well crap.

When I was riding a slipped just a tad below my target range, but just barely. I ate a granola bar and rode for another hour, no problem.

I was dehydrated at the time my ketones registered as "moderate." By drinking a good bit of water, I got them down to under "trace" amounts by bedtime.

I did another ride today, focused more on my hydration, and I"m again back to "moderate" levels of ketones. My diet and blood sugars have been fine all day.

This blows. Now what?

Posted: Apr 3, 2016 at 21:33 Quote
that you are showing ketones means that your sugars are goin gwacky, might want to have your meter checked and do more blood tests. also might want to get another pack of ketone test strips, they can be faulty sometimes. you shouldn't be registering any ketones if your sugars are staying in range.

Posted: Apr 3, 2016 at 21:34 Quote
that you were dehydrated is interesting, as your boody usually flushes out ketones by making you really thirsty and having to piss a lot... but they shouldn't be there if your sugars are not running high a lot

Posted: Apr 4, 2016 at 2:49 Quote
You should get a CGM as soon as possible.

Quitou wrote:
dmadness wrote:
Ketones of any type are a serious indication that your levels have gone a skew somewhere,

the short answer.
Well crap.

When I was riding a slipped just a tad below my target range, but just barely. I ate a granola bar and rode for another hour, no problem.

I was dehydrated at the time my ketones registered as "moderate." By drinking a good bit of water, I got them down to under "trace" amounts by bedtime.

I did another ride today, focused more on my hydration, and I"m again back to "moderate" levels of ketones. My diet and blood sugars have been fine all day.

This blows. Now what?

Posted: Apr 4, 2016 at 15:27 Quote
Could possibly be getting a cold? I agree with the cgm sentiments! tup

Posted: Apr 4, 2016 at 19:33 Quote
I need to see if my plan covers a CGM, should reduce the "surprise" the low BGs by seeing a trend happen in real time...

Posted: Apr 4, 2016 at 20:35 Quote
I too have been having issues the past 3-4 days.. Suddenly, I'm needing maybe 1/3-1/2 of my usual insulin doses and having lows constantly that require an inordinate amount of sugar to correct (like over 100 grams).

Has my pancreas suddenly started working again? LOL.

Really though, I haven't suddenly become a brittle diabetic, have I?

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 2:54 Quote
That happens to me a few times a year. Just the change of the season I guess.

@brianl not just lows, you would be surprised how much it is high in between checks.

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 10:40 Quote
Cool, thanks man. I've got a pretty shitty memory, but I vaguely remembered this happening before, more than once even. Seems to be stabilizing today. tup

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 12:07 Quote
Happens to me every once in a while too. Could be increase in activity. Decease in sleep. Pretty much any abnormality causes different trends in my blood sugars.. As weird and frustrating as it is just learn to work with it..

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008989
Mobile Version of Website