Diabetic Riders

Posted: Apr 8, 2016 at 17:18 Quote
I just got back from a road trip for 4 days. Forgot my blood test machiene. Even without calibration for 5 days my dexcom g4 cgm was only .2 mmol off ( . 2 ) ive heard of other cgms that get waaay off ( or stop working alltogeter ) if u dont calibrate them regularily. Also the dexcom pump works directlly with the cgm so its like a bionic pancreas. Im bias.. i love the dexcom and animus vibe and after the experiences ive had i wouldnt even think of another pump/cgm combo.. still waiting for the pump approval to go through as i dont have an extra 0
Grand sitting around... also cgm costs me about 5grand a year out of pocoet.. bt hey you cant spend the money youd save if your dead.

Posted: Apr 11, 2016 at 2:44 Quote
Forgetting my test machine would produce so much anxiety for me. I do know a lot of the company's are working towards a closed loop system, which would be nice, but we aren't there yet.

dmadness wrote:
I just got back from a road trip for 4 days. Forgot my blood test machiene. Even without calibration for 5 days my dexcom g4 cgm was only .2 mmol off ( . 2 ) ive heard of other cgms that get waaay off ( or stop working alltogeter ) if u dont calibrate them regularily. Also the dexcom pump works directlly with the cgm so its like a bionic pancreas. Im bias.. i love the dexcom and animus vibe and after the experiences ive had i wouldnt even think of another pump/cgm combo.. still waiting for the pump approval to go through as i dont have an extra 0
Grand sitting around... also cgm costs me about 5grand a year out of pocoet.. bt hey you cant spend the money youd save if your dead.

Posted: Apr 11, 2016 at 9:15 Quote
me too IF I didn't wear a CGM that I trust completely, the thing is expensive but I love it. Whats this closed loop system you speak of ??

I know animus has the most revolutionary system out as of yet ( CGM that directly communicates with the pump ) and ive heard news about tattoos that change colour based on glucose ( in testing phase ) and glucose activated insulin ( also in testing phase ) lol, I also just realized in my last post I said the pump was 0 grand... what I meant to say was 7 grand..

Salute

Posted: Apr 11, 2016 at 12:07 Quote
My pump works with my cgm too nyah nyah nyah! Razz Still a no go on the pump, eh?

Posted: Apr 11, 2016 at 12:10 Quote
geezracer wrote:
therealtylerdurden wrote:
Hmmmm. Do you wreck much?

Define, much? Yes, I take the occasional tumble.

By much, I really meant at all. Personally, I would not feel comfortable with the omnipod.. That thing could get crushed or torn off in a wreck much, much more easily than a tube based pump in your pocket.

Posted: Apr 11, 2016 at 15:40 Quote
My pump works with my cgm too nyah nyah nyah! Razz Still a no go on the pump, eh?

You bastard!!! Smile im still jumping through hoops. Hopefully i will be pumping by the end of next month. Best case scenario

Posted: Apr 11, 2016 at 16:50 Quote
Haha! I'm in Colorado right now anyways.. I'll stop by that place and see what's available at that place.. Jumping through hoops for six months for a device that can save years of your life is absolute bullshit in this day and age. Sounds like Canadian healthcare ain't all it's cracked up to be after all?

Posted: Apr 11, 2016 at 17:01 Quote
damn double post, my bad

Posted: Apr 11, 2016 at 23:29 Quote
Haha! I'm in Colorado right now anyways.. I'll stop by that place and see what's available at that place.. Jumping through hoops for six months for a device that can save years of your life is absolute bullshit in this day and age. Sounds like Canadian healthcare ain't all it's cracked up to be after all?

its pretty good, when I broke my femur I got $850 every 2 weeks and didn't pay a dime for any of the hospital or ambulance or emt's that had to hike into the woods and carry me out on a wheel stretcher... but like all big systems we do have fails for sure. I mentioned I had a friend in the states who was going to check out if they could find a cheap pump that I could use in the meantime and the pump nurse lady got all feisty and now seems to be on a mission to get me through the pump program asap... I see an endocrinologist for the first time in 20 years later this month.

Posted: Apr 12, 2016 at 12:03 Quote
Right on tup Wow, 20 years?? Why so long? They just didn't know anything you didn't, or?

Posted: Apr 12, 2016 at 16:52 Quote
no, mostly I had been travelling and not concerned with it.

Posted: Apr 12, 2016 at 23:09 Quote
lol, what I mean is well, 20 years ago I left Manitoba ( where I had medical coverage ) and lived out of my back pack for 3-4 years a little in bc and a little in alberta ( no permanent residence so I didn't have provincial coverage or a home base. then I spent many years ignoring the fact I was diabetic almost completely ( something I suffer for now ) and until I decided I wanted to get on the pump and go through the program o get one I didn't feel I really needed an endocrinologist. my life has been chaos bound for a long time and Im starting now in my later 30's to discover the wrongness of my ways in my earlier days. I took poor care of my diabetes, something I am getting better by the day at, I used to buy the heavyest guage strings for my guitar ( because heavy to me was going to be more metal ! ( when light guage strings are hwere its at, and I drank quite a bit for a while too.. I also did countless construction jobs, ( not that I really regret being a ticketed plumber/gasfitter framer 2nd year electrician that can drive an excavator and dumptruck and finish concrete and do stone masonry.. but if I could do it all again I think I would likely be a scientist of some type... ahh hindsight. it makes me wonder if I will be 50 one day and saying "f*ck I was dumb when I was 36" Salute ohh I've also been declared dead once, run over by a dumptruck, been shot at, hit with an arrow in the arm, given myself stitches countless times and have learned to walk 9 times in my life and broken 16 different bones.. its been a hard life, but I feel pretty good about where I am now, and im working on feeling even better since I got all the hardware out of my ankle and got a loose bone fragment removed from my knee this year I can run full bore once again.. makes for better prognosis when you can run out a crash rather than take one step with the "good" leg ( the one that has a titanium femur ) and then roll..... 2 years ago I did this into a cactus patch... it sucked lol Salute

Posted: Apr 13, 2016 at 4:05 Quote
I got it when i was 10, loosely controlled. Right around 20 I had a "me first, diabetes second" attitude. Drank waaaaaay too much. Many trips to ER, ketoacidosis. Right around the age of 27 I got my shit together and found out when Diabetes was put first I WAS putting myself first. Healthier and happier than I have ever been with no ill side effects to speak of. I also like light gauge strings now, 10's on the acoustic FTW!

dmadness wrote:
lol, what I mean is well, 20 years ago I left Manitoba ( where I had medical coverage ) and lived out of my back pack for 3-4 years a little in bc and a little in alberta ( no permanent residence so I didn't have provincial coverage or a home base. then I spent many years ignoring the fact I was diabetic almost completely ( something I suffer for now ) and until I decided I wanted to get on the pump and go through the program o get one I didn't feel I really needed an endocrinologist. my life has been chaos bound for a long time and Im starting now in my later 30's to discover the wrongness of my ways in my earlier days. I took poor care of my diabetes, something I am getting better by the day at, I used to buy the heavyest guage strings for my guitar ( because heavy to me was going to be more metal ! ( when light guage strings are hwere its at, and I drank quite a bit for a while too.. I also did countless construction jobs, ( not that I really regret being a ticketed plumber/gasfitter framer 2nd year electrician that can drive an excavator and dumptruck and finish concrete and do stone masonry.. but if I could do it all again I think I would likely be a scientist of some type... ahh hindsight. it makes me wonder if I will be 50 one day and saying "f*ck I was dumb when I was 36" Salute ohh I've also been declared dead once, run over by a dumptruck, been shot at, hit with an arrow in the arm, given myself stitches countless times and have learned to walk 9 times in my life and broken 16 different bones.. its been a hard life, but I feel pretty good about where I am now, and im working on feeling even better since I got all the hardware out of my ankle and got a loose bone fragment removed from my knee this year I can run full bore once again.. makes for better prognosis when you can run out a crash rather than take one step with the "good" leg ( the one that has a titanium femur ) and then roll..... 2 years ago I did this into a cactus patch... it sucked lol Salute

Posted: Apr 13, 2016 at 10:11 Quote
phatplat wrote:
I got it when i was 10, loosely controlled. Right around 20 I had a "me first, diabetes second" attitude. Drank waaaaaay too much. Many trips to ER, ketoacidosis. Right around the age of 27 I got my shit together and found out when Diabetes was put first I WAS putting myself first. Healthier and happier than I have ever been with no ill side effects to speak of. I also like light gauge strings now, 10's on the acoustic FTW!

I somehow manage to avoid the er for nearly 15 years without once testing my sugars.i got lucky i guess, but high sugars chronicly led to pretty intense depression and i also now go and get injections in my eyes every 2 months to keep my vision.. also my arterys have pretty heavy calcium deposits in them.. bottom line, dont piss around with your diabetes Smile

dmadness wrote:

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006372
Mobile Version of Website