Diabetic Riders

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 18:33 Quote
Maybe someone who has a low insulin sensitivity and goes batshit an all you can eat buffet! lol if I eat a whole pizza, its usually 20 units or so depending on what chain it's from.pizza + bread sticks is about 30u. Never had to give more than 30 units at any one tme.

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 20:01 Quote
therealtylerdurden wrote:
Maybe someone who has a low insulin sensitivity and goes batshit an all you can eat buffet! lol if I eat a whole pizza, its usually 20 units or so depending on what chain it's from.pizza + bread sticks is about 30u. Never had to give more than 30 units at any one tme.

30 unit would be the end of me... I never give more than 10 at one time... Ever. my I:C ratio is about 1:17 so 10 units does me for almost 200 grams of carb

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 21:08 Quote
When I'm lazy for months on end, my I:C is generally 1:10 or so. When I ride even half hour a day, it goes down to about 1:20. Not being lazy for the win! lol

Posted: Nov 3, 2016 at 2:59 Quote
I used to say "2cc of insulin" and a doctor got cross with me. I did not get it then.

Posted: Nov 3, 2016 at 14:49 Quote
Lol!! "Sir, we do not condone diabetic suicides at this establishment!"

Posted: Nov 3, 2016 at 21:03 Quote
hmmmm, it never really occurred to me that the insulin to carb ratio would or could change.. do you think thats due to metabolism ? Would you not just increase you basal insulin if you noticed this type of change?

Im lucky in basal terms, I dont need any more than .55 Units an hour base dose regardless of time of day or what im doing ( except excercise.. then , no insulin )

Posted: Nov 4, 2016 at 14:23 Quote
100% due to metabolism change. Basal rate changes as well, when I'm lazy for months on end, it slowly rises to about .5-.9 units as well, but when riding regularly, it drops to .3-.5 depending on the time of day (When sleeping I require more insulin for example).

And basal just takes care of your baseline, and doesn't have anything to do with eating. Boluses are for eating (or correcting a high blood sugar), and the I:C ratio can change dramatically depending upon metabolism/ activity. My I:C ratio as well as my calculations for correcting a high blood sugar for example, changes for a few hours after a long, gnarly ride. Forgetting that fact is what resulted in my one and only seizure from low blood sugar in 20+ years of this disease.

So both I:C/ high bs boluses and the basal rate changes. Your metabolism includes both your basal metabolic rate (baseline, not dependant on food), and the slower metabolism of food.

Posted: Nov 7, 2016 at 2:46 Quote
I require more in the winter months, less in the summer months.

Posted: Nov 7, 2016 at 22:07 Quote
Makes sense; temperature affects metabolism.

Posted: Nov 7, 2016 at 23:48 Quote
hmmm, interesting, I have just increase my basal yesterday and its making a difference for sure... soo odd how much of a non diabetics body is on auto pilot and how much they dont realize how much it does all on its own to keep them not dead.. sigh... one day.... maybe. Salute

Posted: Nov 8, 2016 at 3:04 Quote

That and I do less, lol.

Posted: Nov 8, 2016 at 9:03 Quote
Yeah, in my log book I record low and high temps, more data points to help predict/explain insulin resistance trends.

Posted: Nov 8, 2016 at 18:01 Quote
I use Diasend with my pump... tracks EVERYTHING... i mean everything.. but I dont check it all the time, it is uber usefull tool when i need it though. average Blood sugars before the pump were 13.8/mmol now 7.4/mmol pure Joy. i had not thought about seasonal changes though..
still learning basal changes.

Posted: Apr 24, 2017 at 19:37 Quote
f*ck yeah!! Glad for you, man!! I'm more than happy with my Mini med pump.. But I sure as hell wish that they'd update the cgm so that it's not a literal pain in the ass.. The Dexcom is an option, but it won't link with my pump. It's always been accurate for me, but it's like getting a flu shot that stays in you for a half a month .
I know there hasn't been much talk here lately, but I'm looking into getting a pump and having a hard time deciding. Like you have been saying, the Minimed and Animas Vibe have CGMs but with no ability to update firmware/software. Option C would be Omnipod with the Dexcom G5 CGM which could be updated when the G6 comes out. Our health system will pay for a pump, every 4-5 years, so I'd be stuck with whatever I choose. They don't cover CGM or its supplies, so I'd have to pay that out of my pocket, but I'm thinking CGM would be very good for endurance sports, as well as everyday life, checking BG at night, etc.
How are you guys finding the Vibe or Minimed for MTBing, for monitoring as well as managing blood sugar?

Posted: Apr 25, 2017 at 12:45 Quote
I've been incredibly happy with my Minimed. They have new cgm's too, that are comfortable, accurate, and no longer finnicky. As nice as the Animas pump looks (and it is nice), I'd be kind of sketched out having an $8,000-10,000+ medical device with a touchscreen while riding. The Minimed, in my eyes, is more utilitarian.

I saw a guy who hacked his kids cgm, so that he could see her blood sugar on his smart watch. I'd LOVE to do that with mine. Would be fantastic for riding! Could even wrap the watchband around the handlebars and have it right there like a GPS or a speedometer.

Honestly, these days, you'll be happy with whatever you get- with a very big exception for the omnipod. f*ck that thing, especially in regards to mountain biking. Great thing with a quick connect tube is you can disconnect it if you're having multiple or serious lows.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014418
Mobile Version of Website