The Edmonton trails have gone to the Farking DOGS.......

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
The Edmonton trails have gone to the Farking DOGS.......
Previous Page |
Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 20:50 Quote
In the last week or two I've spent a lot more time on Edmonton's trail network in the river valley. I have had 4 different incidents with very aggressive dogs that were unleashed and not under control in shared trail zones. The dog owners were apathetic and in general not very apologetic in any of these incidents. In all of these episodes, I did nothing to provoke the behaviour, and in fact tried everything to diffuse the aggression. In the situation today, I ended up having to use my bike as a shield ,as the dog blocked my only exit. (my back was to a cliff.) The owner lamely called at her dog from about 20 metres away, and only made an effort to physically control the animal once I asked her to do so directly.
I like dogs, and I have no desire to cause any injury to them, but this kind of stuff has happened 4 times in two weeks....so I'm seriously considering carrying bear spray when going through Terwilliger or Melton trails. Any input on the legality of that, or other advice or experiences to share would be appreciated.

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 21:00 Quote
I had a run-in with a kitty cat once. and I see lots of little puppies. but seriously, if the trail is built for biking tell them to piss off.

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 21:06 Quote
these are networks of "shared use trails" that cover lots of territory in Edmonton's river valley, some of the last wooded singletrack in our city area. I'm not shy about letting a dog owner know I'm pissed off...but that doesn't get rid of the frothy rotweiler does it?

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 21:11 Quote
I have have quite a few run ins with dogs as well in edmonton trails, i have also considered bear spray, and i would not have a second though to douse the dog till its wimpering for its mommy.
A swift kick to the jaw might prove usefull to, as for the legalities... self defence... that and the fact that im on a bike and id be gone before the dogs owner got within any kind of range.

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 21:13 Quote
Threaten to press charges that will get them motivated REAL quick. Course I'm not quite sure how the Canadian justice system works. But I know here in US especially in Cali that would get them to control their dog REAL QUICK.

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 21:18 Quote
shondo wrote:
The dog owners were apathetic and in general not very apologetic in any of these incidents. In all of these episodes, I did nothing to provoke the behaviour, and in fact tried everything to diffuse the aggression.

I rode Terwilliger last summer and had a similar experience, although I was able to ride away and it eventually stopped chasing me. There are so many dogs in that park; they seem kinda out of control or something - dunno, I don't have problems in city trails in Calgary. I'm not a dog expert and I have never owned one, so I don't know what the right thing to do would be.

Mod Plus
Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 21:18 Quote
I t-boned a mid sized dog on a local trail at about 30kph. It went off into the bush to die, the owner never found him! I felt pretty bad but this was not a hiking trail whatsoever and the dog was about 100ft away from his owner. I helped look for a bit and then he told me it was ok. Saw him later in the day going home w/o his dog, he was pretty sure it was hurt bad and was dead or dying. I REALLY don't like riding with dogs. I've had atleast 3 or 4 other incedents of dogs getting in the way and I was really lucky not be hurt or have hurt the dogs. Dogs on trail=bad idea, I don't care how well behaved they are. Sorry.

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 21:19 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Threaten to press charges that will get them motivated REAL quick. Course I'm not quite sure how the Canadian justice system works. But I know here in US especially in Cali that would get them to control their dog REAL QUICK.

Canadians don't sue each other for dumb shit like spilled coffee or loud mouthed dogs... it helps keep our insurance affordable

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 21:22 Quote
yaa, i've had a few problems with dogs too.
Thats the second reason why i wear my shinnies while i'm riding.
But seriously, slow down to a reasonable speed and try not to make eye contact. it seems to work for me.

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 21:25 Quote
wrote:
Quote]
Canadians don't sue each other for dumb shit like spilled coffee or loud mouthed dogs... it helps keep our insurance affordable
Thats how it should be here I can't stand it. They tell you you cant ride your bike in front of a building because if you hurt yourself you could sue them. Thats bs

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 22:12 Quote
xcolin wrote:
I rode Terwilliger last summer and had a similar experience, although I was able to ride away and it eventually stopped chasing me. There are so many dogs in that park; they seem kinda out of control or something - dunno, I don't have problems in city trails in Calgary. I'm not a dog expert and I have never owned one, so I don't know what the right thing to do would be.

See that's the fu@#ed up thing about Edmonton, all the trails through the valley parks have "improved" surfaces, meaning shitty gravel and flat as a pancake. Ironically, the only areas in the green space where they have not bodged over the woodland singletrack, are in these areas that are zoned for walking mutts, hiking birdwatcher loonies and mountain bikes all in the same parkland.
The city will take no definitive action however about creating bike only zones, DJ's, Pumptracks, or a skills park, even though there has been significant pressure from trail advocacy groups. I guess I'm ranting, I've just had it with good rides ruined by bullshit. Time to move to the Rockies.

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 22:24 Quote
dogs make a filling meal. problem solved

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 22:54 Quote
bonfire wrote:
Owners these days need to control their dogs more,

that's what really pisses me off, is the dog owners act like their precious pooch could not be possibly be at fault. It's as if the rider is somehow responsible for "looking scary" on the big bad bike. well F#@k 'em, their dogs aren't paying any city taxes.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 9:40 Quote
I use the pathway system in Calgary quite a bit, for well over two decades, and never have much of a problem with dogs. However I do have a problem with many of the other cyclists. These bike path weenies think that a ding of a bell makes it ok to ride by Grandma enjoying a nice walk doing 80 km/hr.

First off, if you are not riding in an off leash area, and an aggressive, off leash dog is being allowed to chase people, then make a note of the time and place and report it. Most dog walkers have a regular routine. Do it every time you encounter this animal, and start insisting that animal control make some visits to the area and start handing out tickets. These guys love finding little pockets of monthly quota's in an afternoon. Also do a google search and figure out what to do with a truly aggressive dog.

But I suspect that it is not the dog's fault. These are shared use areas. That does not mean that you have a right to go a million miles an hour with little to no regard for the other users of this area. When you see people or dogs or children on your trail, SLOW THE f*ck DOWN to walking speed, smile and say hello. I always whistle and call out to dogs (in that 'good doggie' voice) as soon as I see them. Some dogs can be quite daft and often can't see or hear you and can't judge speed, nor have the mental capacity to yield the right of way. They will get aggressive when they are startled or frightened. Then it's their job to protect the pack and usually they just do what instinct tells them to do. And then as fast as you showed up scaring the shit of them, you ride away looking like a frightened deer begging to be chased.

I doubt a judge would have much sympathy for someone standing in front of him accused of beating up a dog, when he carries around a bat and mace, and rides a bike called "SPEED". I don't think this is a solution to being chased by dogs, it's more of a revenge tactic than a prevention.

So take charge. Slow down, announce yourself, let everyone know you are just riding through, and then resume your ride.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024585
Mobile Version of Website