Support the ONLY male Canadian in this years HellRide

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Support the ONLY male Canadian in this years HellRide
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 3:42 Quote
Dude, he won. Soooo sick

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 at 19:48 Quote
2007 Santa Cruz NOMAD size large, ano slate for sale.

Hey I'm selling my old bike, see below

highlights include the following....
Fox 36 Talas air fork
Fox DHX 5.0 Air shock
Avid Code 4 piston brakes w/ Goodrich lines
full X-9 drivetrain
Maxxis Minon dh tires front + back
Shimano Saint cranks
E-Thirteen shiftable chain guide
DT Swiss 6.10 rims
DT Swiss 340 hubs
Cane Creek lock on grips
Thomson elite seatpost
New cassette, chain, rear derailleur less than one month ago.
new rear brake pads two weeks ago.
brand new WTB seat.
Fork rebuilt with new internals three weeks ago.
for pics see below
http://www.bikefernie.ca/forums/santa-cruz-nomad-2007

only $2750 obo

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 5:14 Quote
payback wrote:
2007 Santa Cruz NOMAD size large, ano slate for sale.

Hey I'm selling my old bike, see below

highlights include the following....
Fox 36 Talas air fork
Fox DHX 5.0 Air shock
Avid Code 4 piston brakes w/ Goodrich lines
full X-9 drivetrain
Maxxis Minon dh tires front + back
Shimano Saint cranks
E-Thirteen shiftable chain guide
DT Swiss 6.10 rims
DT Swiss 340 hubs
Cane Creek lock on grips
Thomson elite seatpost
New cassette, chain, rear derailleur less than one month ago.
new rear brake pads two weeks ago.
brand new WTB seat.
Fork rebuilt with new internals three weeks ago.
for pics see below
http://www.bikefernie.ca/forums/santa-cruz-nomad-2007

only $2750 obo

Here goes, Hell Ride for me..........

I've been riding bikes for awhile when you look back on it, 16 years or so now. I started in Northern Ontario when mountain biking wasn't a sport just something my best friends and I did after it rained, we went mud boggin'. We tried to make it through the biggest deepest mud 4 x 4 ruts we could find, after getting a good run at it from a big hill, good fun when you are 15 years old, and riding $125 hardware store specials.

Well I’m now 31 years old, a lot has changed and to the same extent, not much has changed. I just rolled in from a bike ride, bbq, and beers with my good buddies, only difference is I’m riding a $6000 bike in the Rocky Mountains.

Hell Ride as I first heard of it a few years back seemed legendary, a crazy long ride that somebody would have to be a little loose to want to do. Time passed and I found myself getting used to the mountains, feeling more up for bigger rides it was fun to get away from it all for a couple of hours. Wow, you can actually ride to a ridgeline and get a view, who new that’s what mountain biking was; amazing vistas, I was hooked.

I wanted in on Hell Ride. I saw Hell Ride as this challenge that would be fun to accomplish, my next goal. I saw Hell Ride as this crazy epic that I was stressing out about, I really tried to get ready for it. My goal was to finish, nothing less would be acceptable. My personal goal was make it through, if that meant last, I didn’t care, and I didn’t want the DNF. So about two months before the event I saw I might make it online and get voted on, I started to ride like Hell, all the time still having fun on the bike. It was such a treat to go on all these long solo rides. I have never ridden 70 miles before; I wasn’t sure what would happen. So I tried to get in shape, all that meant was riding all the time, early, late, heat, cold, night, day it no longer mattered. I just had to ride. Hell Ride for some reason motivated to me to keep on the bike, it was great. Personal goals in mountain biking are fun, the keep that beautiful thing called challenge and desire alive. Hell Ride was that.

I expected the Hell Ride to be the hardest ride I’ld ever attempted, and with that would come a big reward, accomplishing the goal and a new Nomad.

Upon getting to Downieville the sound of a hard course was very present, everybody had something different thing to say about the ride that sounded crazier than the next. The hype had started; I was really expecting the biggest shit show of my life. As the weekend evolved I started to feel a little more relaxed and got out of that race mindset that had been creeping in on me. I awoke 4am on ride day to eat some pasta salad and get my shit together for the ride of my life.

The three hours until the race took six hours to pass. Then seven am came and I felt great I was in riding clothes about to go for a rip, a long, long long rip. I just started to ride. The first loop took on little to no drama, all was going great until that “Scott Turner Moment” Coming down this steep gnarly hill by Snake Lake I saw Scott who was frantic that I was in the wrong area, we broke out the map and he wasn’t really sure what to think……So he sent me back up the hill(steepest and most loose area I thought on the course) to, so he thought, was the right place, just as ten or so jeeps passed us. Okay I thought whatever wrong turn I’ll hustle back up and keep charging. Then Matt rips around a corner, doesn’t really stop and says that the directions suck, and he’s going this way. At that point I was shattered, I thought I was done. A twenty minute steep uphill only to turn around, I didn’t need that. My motivation fell hard, sick to my stomach; I turned the bike around and started to charge hard after Matt. Catching him quickly to my surprise, kept the hammer down to try and stay ahead, and luckily did. From that moment, it was on, I wanted this more than I thought.

At this point I was still in the virtual lead, nobody was ahead of me, and not even Mark Weir had caught me yet …WOW! I felt really good this loop. I made it back to the check point first where I had to get some mechanical help, a crash late in the loop bent my derailleur, as well my shoe blew up and a buckle fell apart. I changed my shammy, rehydrated, duct taped my shoe and grabbed more fuel for the second loop, all that in about 5 minutes. The guys at Yuba were on to it, the mechanical was done super fast (thanks Tyler) and then I was off!

The second loop was wearing me down hard. The climb which seemed to have been 5 hours before any downhill had started, wasn’t really because the whole loop was only 5 hours in total. I can’t really remember, but I think around 6 hours in Mark caught me, we chatted a for a couple minutes then he was gone. I mean really gone, he was out of sight just about as fast as I blinked a couple times. He gave me some advice and then peeled away. Just after he left I felt a fade coming on, so I stopped grabbed a tree, then gave my self a good talking to aloud, I had to check in and see how badly I wanted this win, even singing a little Eye of the Tiger to self motivate ( a trick learned from a good friend). Thank god it worked, I was back on, pedaling stronger than the previous few hours. When I finally made it to the ridgeline I thanked everything, I could I knew I was on the downhill for awhile at least. I met up with Forrest and Greg who had water and a camera, with them. I stopped for a bit, they took some pictures and I took some water, I was almost an hour behind in water at that point. The rest on the ridgeline was so amazing I had to stop and take it in, well just after I crashed over the bars, my left leg cramped on me, I thought I was in trouble, bad trouble, this happened around the 8 and a half hours in. I picked myself back up and nursed my leg back to health. The downhill that ensued was long and technical. I found myself walking downhill, jesus I wasn’t supposed to do that, I was a strong, big mountain, Canadian downhiller. I rode honestly on the side of caution, I really didn’t want to eat it again. Shortly after the crash I pleasantly got a stick to the shoulder, which made my whole left arm go numb, I was taking the beats. Nothing came for free on this ride, especially the heckling about Karaoke after the ride.

I have sure rambled more than most people want to read , but I don’t really care. I want to tell you that the Hell Ride was probably the most fun I’ve had on a bike. Those 66 miles and 14,500 feet of climbing were great, no matter how grueling the second loop’s climb was, it was worth it in the end. The crashes, stick to the shoulder, stomach aches, leg cramps, sweat, sunscreen and dust in the eyes, hot sun, complaining competitors, riding alone, running out of water, getting wrong directions, sore ass weren’t really that bad. I was able to go ride in Northern California, explore new trails on a brand new sexy Nomad, meet some amazing pros, get to know Santa Cruz Bicycles behind the scenes, chat with locals, ride the Downieville Downhill course, sleep by a river, take some time off work, ride my bike for 10 hours 42 minutes straight, meet fellow riders from around the US, win a new bike, get given Santa Cruz gear, have a pro photographer take picture of me riding in one of the most beautiful places on the planet, drink a world famous Margarita, sing some Karaoke…blah, blah, blah,…you get the point, Santa Cruz Bicycles treated me like a king! Hell Ride was a great experience, a pretty tough ride, and a lot of fun, but be warned, know what you’re getting into otherwise you’ll get thrashed real fast and Mike wouldn’t be happy about that, he’s a great guy, you wouldn’t want that. Don’t apply if you think you’re going to die, it’s Hell Ride, not Heaven ride.

Thanks to Paul Attala, Jesse Mong, StraightLine Bicycle and Ski, Larsen and Whelan Ent., Michelle, Santa Cruz Bicycles, Fernie, BC and all those who voted, I had a good time, and even got a new Liquid Blue Nomad!
Regards,
Kurt

Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 21:33 Quote
That sounds amazing.
I read "My goal was to finish" and realized just how crazy this thing was.
Sorry I didn't find this quick enough to vote, but you got into it anyways, so no big other then my own guilt.

Haha walking downhill.

Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 22:40 Quote
That took a while to read but it was a good read and I enjoyed it.
What place did you end up coming in?

Posted: Sep 7, 2008 at 0:20 Quote
Long read, but worth it. Sounded like a blast!

Posted: Sep 7, 2008 at 1:20 Quote
This is truly inspiring. One of the most inspiring threads I have read. Congratulations on the win. You deserved it. Now I want to ride.

Posted: Sep 7, 2008 at 13:16 Quote
This should be stickyed

Posted: Sep 7, 2008 at 14:37 Quote
roger-dodger wrote:
This should be stickyed

Yep. In all honesty this makes me so happy to be a member of this site and to know that there are really good users making real accomplishments on here.

Posted: Sep 8, 2008 at 20:21 Quote
Hey thanks for actually reading my LONG post, glad you liked it.

Posted: Sep 13, 2008 at 19:14 Quote
payback wrote:
Hey thanks for actually reading my LONG post, glad you liked it.

Hey, Thank you for writing that. I appreciate it! Really inspires me to go out and ride my bike.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022462
Mobile Version of Website