You know you work in a bikeshop when...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
You know you work in a bikeshop when...
O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2017 at 12:29 Quote
Scotj009 wrote:
Bromaphobe wrote:
I'd ask elsewhere but most of you guys are on the ball. What are the best cable cutters and chainbreakers you can get for the workshop?

Unior cable cutters are solid, not sure on chain tools, haven't found a good one yet

Would love to try out the unior stuff, it all looks great. I'm using sram (jagwire and whoever else makes them) and like them quite a lot. It has an awl to open up the housing at the end on one of the handle too.

Posted: Apr 7, 2017 at 15:58 Quote
Hozan c-217. My favourite cutters so far. Chaintools are still a crap shoot. Yet to find one i like more than park for the $$

Posted: Apr 7, 2017 at 16:55 Quote
Shimano cable cutters and birzman chain braker for me.

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2017 at 17:08 Quote
Bromaphobe wrote:
I'd ask elsewhere but most of you guys are on the ball. What are the best cable cutters and chainbreakers you can get for the workshop?

Felco for cable cutter. Shimano for chain breaker.

Posted: Apr 17, 2017 at 21:04 Quote
Pedro's or shimano SIS cutters. Park chain breaker. And don't be the guy who uses SIS cutters to cut cables, just use side cutters.

O+
Posted: Apr 17, 2017 at 21:10 Quote
Knipex cutters.. Spendy, but worth it.

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 2:11 Quote
Jpdarrach wrote:
Pedro's or shimano SIS cutters. Park chain breaker. And don't be the guy who uses SIS cutters to cut cables, just use side cutters.

So it's you. Who keeps denting/dulling the shit out of my side cutters. Rarely buy expensive side cutters because I rarely use them. But when we do they end up with dents in the cutting edge.

I am a park cutter fan, they seem to last an eternity, leave a nice sharp cut in housing and cleanly cut cables without fraying them. Weirdly the older set of shimano ones we have doesn't fully cut the 4mm housing. It leaves the last strand or two, so irritating. Use a little pick to open the housing after I file it square.

Played with those SRAM ones and I am pretty keen to give those a whirl.

Always wanted to try one of those jagwire cable cutter/solder units. So you don't even need a cable crimp, just welds it like a fresh cable out of the box. It's cool.

Used to have a shimano chain tool with the rosewood handle, that thing was baller.

Now that park 3.2 is the go to.

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 3:53 Quote
Ima say it again. Hozan c-217. Tighter tolerances than park and i dont have to open them myself.

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 12:24 Quote
nwthumbs wrote:
Ima say it again. Hozan c-217. Tighter tolerances than park and i dont have to open them myself.

That spring tho.

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 21:07 Quote
shit works man. worse case if it f*cks up just steal one off a set of garbage pedros cutters that every bike shop has sitting around.

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 21:15 Quote
nwthumbs wrote:
shit works man. worse case if it f*cks up just steal one off a set of garbage pedros cutters that every bike shop has sitting around.
The shop I'm working for is the new kid on the block in the Calgary Area, we are the trail/head sister shop to one of the oldest / most successful shops in town so we have good financial backing. Being in the position I am I am able to get Whatever tools I deem my tech chop needs. No questionable pedros stuff for us. We are currently running mostly park tool stuff, I need to get a proper socket set for the shop, Thinking about getting a mastercraft set and purchasing snap on / blue point in the bigger sizes and having them milled down for forks,

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 21:29 Quote
just get the abbey bike tools suspension sockets. super gucci

https://www.abbeybiketools.com/collections/tools/products/suspension-top-cap-sockets

as for "questionable pedros stuff" both park and pedros make some super shit stuff. park hanger tool is trash for example; tho the pro pedal wrench is likely my favourite for general use. like is aid the pedros cable cutters are just bad, but the rubberized t-handle allen keys feel super nice in hand. both park and pedros seem to have durability on the allen key front. would happily take suggestions on a super gucci set of allen keys that last and dont feel like garb.

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 21:30 Quote
nwthumbs wrote:
just get the abbey bike tools suspension sockets. super gucci

https://www.abbeybiketools.com/collections/tools/products/suspension-top-cap-sockets

as for "questionable pedros stuff" both park and pedros make some super shit stuff. park hanger tool is trash for example; tho the pro pedal wrench is likely my favourite for general use. like is aid the pedros cable cutters are just bad, but the rubberized t-handle allen keys feel super nice in hand. both park and pedros seem to have durability on the allen key front. would happily take suggestions on a super gucci set of allen keys that last and dont feel like garb.
Snap on / blue point.

EDIT: I own an old clapped out boxford lathe & bridgeport milling machine. I could probably mill down some snap on sockets for less then what the abbey units would cost, it would also give me an excuse to get out to matts and use my machine tools I havent touched in nearly 8 months...

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 23:31 Quote
Silca make a gucci set of keys.

I am really stoked on bondhus ball tip hex screwdrivers for installing bottle cages and other weird accessories that require hex bolts in weird places.

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 23:55 Quote
Bondus hex keys, Wera screwdrivers, knipex cutters and some of the pliers wrenches are ace. my anniversary edition park tri Allen has lasted was better than the standard tri Allen's. Also, ratcheting snap on screwdriver.. I love mine and use it multiple times a day.

Abby sockets for suspension make sense to have as a dedicated tool that others know not to use for anything other than suspension. Then also do a tool truck set of sockets for everything else.. Also buy a good ratchet and breaker bar.

Good tap and die, some good HSS drill bits hidden away for important projects along with a cheaper hardware store index that everyone has access to.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021837
Mobile Version of Website