You know you work in a bikeshop when...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
You know you work in a bikeshop when...
Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 4:28 Quote
Ball head Allen keys are my favourite thing ever

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 8:27 Quote
my hands down favorite bike related tool is the wheels MFG bearing press. Its so simple and so fun to use.
closely followed by the silca T-ratchet kit. https://silca.cc/collections/silca-tools/products/t-ratchet_kit

Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 11:12 Quote
Posted this in the mechanics lounge but figured I'd broaden my net, any info would be appreciated,
Does anyone have experience with the woodman capsule extreme (BTI part # WN-3351) looking into it for a customer and he has a tapered steer tube, the description says 1-1/8" but their website says nothing about tapered steer tubes...
Tried to email them but haven't heard back yet so any input would be greatly appreciated...

Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 12:06 Quote
Id imagine it wouldn't work

Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 12:19 Quote
why not use a standard compression system Confused

Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 12:51 Quote
longer travel bikes with bigger riders tend to get a little more abuse that most so this is designed like the Chris King preloader to reduce potential flex and pull the steer tube into the crown to reduce the possibility of creaking at the connection between the crown and steer tube

Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 13:56 Quote
abennett219 wrote:
Ball head Allen keys are my favourite thing ever

I absolutly hate ball end allen keys. I cut them off of all the P handle allen keys I own and keep a set of super shitty pedros L bends around with the ball end for the rare case it is needed for something other than stripping out bolts

Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 13:58 Quote
Only strip shit if you torque on them. Spinning bolts in is so much easier. Also the geometry of the ball itself is fairly critical.

P-Handles can get f*cked. Hate those things.

Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 14:13 Quote
spinning bolts works almost as well without the ball.

I agree p handles aren't great, I've been considering some these

https://store.snapon.com/Hex-T-Handle-mm-8-pc-T-Shaped-Metric-Hex-Wrench-Set-P641947.aspx

Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 14:28 Quote
mountainbiker929 wrote:
spinning bolts works almost as well without the ball.

I agree p handles aren't great, I've been considering some these

https://store.snapon.com/Hex-T-Handle-mm-8-pc-T-Shaped-Metric-Hex-Wrench-Set-P641947.aspx
Do it. I bought a set when I was 14. They're like new

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 14:51 Quote
Why not buy the bondhus brand of those T-handle wrenches?

Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 16:31 Quote
because they don't say snap on

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 23:36 Quote
Bahco t handles with no silly ball end are my new favorite. They're orange as well. Mmmm creamsicles

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 8:08 Quote
mountainbiker929 wrote:
because they don't say snap on

I guess if you wanna pay extra for the snap-on name...

Don't get me wrong. I have a lot of snap on tools, but it's mostly the ones that actually make a difference to me in the job I do (or did as an aviation mechanic.)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024183
Mobile Version of Website