You know you work in a bikeshop when...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
You know you work in a bikeshop when...
Posted: Jul 27, 2017 at 16:44 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
You guys buy completes? Dafuq?

Right? The only time in your life building custom is going to be affordable and simple... And your all out sampeling the pre-packaged baloney.

Posted: Jul 27, 2017 at 21:17 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
whattheheel wrote:
You guys buy completes? Dafuq?

Right? The only time in your life building custom is going to be affordable and simple... And your all out sampeling the pre-packaged baloney.

There's always the hot of building custom, but so many bikes are coming properly equipped these days there's sometimes not much to change.

Posted: Jul 27, 2017 at 23:51 Quote
yall gotta find more interesting bikes if you dont feel theres much to change.

Posted: Jul 28, 2017 at 0:15 Quote
Though it depends. Sure doing a build is great fun though atleast for myself im finding that its cheaper to buy whole, and sell what you dont want or need which quite frankly is becoming more often than not nothing. lone framesets can be extortionate at the best of times even with EP. Shimanos Ep is non existant at times and we've said it ourselves at times we just end up getting things from CRC or the sort and trying to get full groupsets from madison is like playing russain roulette at times

Posted: Jul 28, 2017 at 1:28 Quote
Pretty stoked on the new Remedy/Fuel 8's. Over here for the $4k they are going to sell for, have some pretty legit value. Those new wheels/hubs are slick, eagle, descendants, guides, and good suspension. If I was in the market for another new bike this year, that would be it. I wouldn't even change much. I typically buy completes then upgrade bits and bobs to what I want and when I want try something. Can't usually be bothered building and the cost here is insane.

If you think Trek's are boring, look at the new Giants. The new reign is the most yawn inducing bike I've seen. Updated the rear triangle to fit boost, finally a slightly longer shock used to get a lower leverage ratio. Those lame dt wheels instead of the carbon ones from last year, but for the same price. Still a stupid seat angle, and long floppy rear triangle, no cable management, going to be rattle city like always. Their Reign 1 advanced is $5400, Nomad XE is $5,900/Hightower LT XE $5,700. Since when does a Giant seem under valued to a Santa-cruz? Very interested to see how my summer goes, especially once I get firmed up NZ pricing on the above bikes.

Finally my chameleon frame showed up and I got that built up real quick with a mix of old and new stuff. Really stoked on it, pretty much exact build spec that I wanted. Some different bits for me, that I am excited to see how they perform for me. Bike is too fun, going to be such an excellent winter hardtail/trail.

Picked up one of those EDC tools and pumps. That thing is the science of rockets.

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2017 at 9:38 Quote
Got in the fuel and remedy 8 for our rental fleet. Just the change in the fuel's paint is super rad, they look like plastic bikes froma distance, and ride very good for the price. Ordered hightower lt instead though still haha

Posted: Jul 28, 2017 at 16:50 Quote
Giant has no soul. They're not bad bikes, but they really feel sterilized.

I'd say there's a lot of bonus to building ground up, for a shop dude, I think the biggest one is the wow factor. We've sold more than a few bikes just by having super matchy matchy pretty rides ourselves, and customers wanting from the first time they look at it.

Also, and maybe I'm weird, but having a bike built from the ground up always feels more personal than a stock bike. Stock is rad, but having all the things you wanted just feels so good.

You know you work in a bike shop; someone comes in after you close and asks if you can do something really quick. As you're deciding if you can even do that, they start to add in more and more, oblivious as to what "we're actually closed right now" means.

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 23:02 Quote
Soulless and sterilised are the perfect words to describe Giant bikes.

WTH asked for pictors, so I have two pictors of what I built up.

New Bike Santa Cruz Chameleon Atlas Cranks Absolute Black Oval Mk3 Flow s laced to XT hubs Fox Fit4 34 Easton Havoc Bar Stem E13 TRS tires Bontrager Dropline Post SLX Brakes ZEE calipers soon.
Bike

Chameleon Frame
Atlas Cranks
Absolute Black 32t direct mount oval ring
Box components cassette 11-46t, don't like the huge gap in the Shimano 46t cassette, this one has a better spread.
XT m8000 rd/shifter
E-thirteen TRS/TRS+ tires
E-thirteen valve stems
Mk3 Flow's laced up to some XT M8000 hubs, used DT comp's with some Sapim Polyax Lock nipples
Easton Havoc Bar/Stem
Fox 34 FiT4
SLX brakes, have some zee calipers in the garage that I will likely toss on for summer
Bontrager Dropline post, was cheap and they are simple, stock remote isn't bad but I want a Wolftooth one.

Posted: Jul 31, 2017 at 8:16 Quote
Bah. Can I come raid the couch for a few months??

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 8:49 Quote
Hey yall, moving to Seattle shortly, any bike shop recommendations?
I for sure prefer the mom 'n pop style shops as compared to the big guys. just looking for the total chillers.

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 8:59 Quote
superging wrote:
Hey yall, moving to Seattle shortly, any bike shop recommendations?
I for sure prefer the mom 'n pop style shops as compared to the big guys. just looking for the total chillers.
for sure, DO NOT GO TO GREGGS CYCLE. They just try to sell you things that are totally unrelated to what you need and they don't have an extensive knowledge of high end bikes(even though they sell them). I always go to Element Cycles in Redmond. Super friendly knowledgeable staff and when you buy a bike from them, you get a ten percent discount on all parts in store.
Nuff Said
Hope this helps

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 16:28 Quote
I work for a shop in Puyallup so it's a bit south from Seattle, but we have a mix of people from different disciplines. I'm the mountain bike guy! As long as I'm not swamped with things to do I'm usually down for chatting a while. Also try to do group rides every weekend I can.

Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 21:57 Quote
Any of you dudes planning on going to Interbike this year? Last year for Vegas, I think I'm gonna try to make it Tues-Fri. Never been to Vegas before.

Posted: Aug 14, 2017 at 18:57 Quote
No IB for us this season, for the first time in forever. Pretty well all our brands hold their own events, reps bring the gear our way, and most of our bike buy is decided in August. Kinda sad, would've been a good time.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023222
Mobile Version of Website